Facebook while applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cd87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone bother to fiddle with their profile while applying for pharmacy school? Fiddling in which I mean by like turning off photo options , etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone bother to fiddle with their profile while applying for pharmacy school? Fiddling in which I mean by like turning off photo options , etc.

Why ? Is there anything to hide ? ;) :rolleyes:

Well I am sure many of us have some pictures that involve a lot of drinking. Do schools actually look at these profiles to investigate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that many people in my pharmacy classes limited sections of their profile, or inactivated it all together.

Well I am sure many of us have some pictures that involve a lot of drinking. Do schools actually look at these profiles to investigate?

Ha-ha :)

I wouldn't know I don't drink.

On a serious note, this is a really good question, I hope Farmercyst or somebody else with an insider knowledge can answer that. I have nothing to hide especially since I don't really use facebook, but I am still curious.

I have several social networks accounts but they're clean.(Even russian social networks).I would clean it up beforehand if there is something.I have a blog but it's primarily weightloss stuff and turbulations around it.I've got nothing to hide...And even if I do, I don't talk/show it allower the internet.:)

Not really sure if schools look at those sites or not, but if there's something on there that doesn't look good, I would definitely clean it up to be on the safe side.

I know that some places look at myspace and facebook accounts when they are looking at job applicants. I have not heard of schools doing this though. I have heard that my school does monitor SDN.

Actually I heard that some schools, not just pharmacy schools, look at facebook/myspace. I don't know how much of that is true, but I have heard people getting fired because of pictures on there myspace. I wouldn't be surprised if schools started looking at these websites, I would just be on the safe side and clean up your page...if it needs to be clean :D

Make your profile private, photos viewed by friends only, and don't let people search for you. Problem solved.

I've heard of employers looking at it, but not pharmacy schools. I don't think they have enough man power and time to do that. I mean really, they only look at your stats, not what you do on your free time. I don't know that many people that set their profile public for everyone to see.

LOL. I dont think schools are that strict are they>?>????????

My facebook profile has always been private, but just to be on the safe side I changed my profile picture to my BSc grad photo from the bikini shot!!

Who knows if schools would ever check facebook but in theory they could, so a little paranoia doesn't hurt. If you've got stupid sh**t on your profile, make it private.

Members don't see this ad :)
my facebook is full of pictures of me partying it up and i got in.

don't worry about it...like they say: study hard, play harder. haha.

my facebook is full of pictures of me partying it up and i got in.

don't worry about it...like they say: study hard, play harder. haha.

I actually said that during my interview. I said that I study hard, but I also like to party hard. Maybe I just had a cool interviewer. :cool:

When I was applying I locked my account so only friends could search or view my profile, but it was probably paranoia mostly. I really doubt they make their admission decision based off if you have drunk photos on facebook or not.

This is an interesting thread because the other day, I received a friend request from an admissions administrator. In short, I think it is a rare case, but it is proof that pharmacy schools do look at facebook.

Several faculty at my school have facebook and some are on AdCom.

for facebook you can just cancel your account and then come back at a later time with all your information still on there...that's what I did during my application process and everything worked out fine and you don't have to worry about anyone seeing your profile then...and to tell you the truth taking a 5 month break facebook was probably one of the better decisions I made in my life...but I understand how some out there just can't live without it :)

lol...looks like a few ppl have stuff to hide =p....i wonder if they look at our facebooks to see if we have a social life haha

Privacy tips:

1. Restrict the more "fun" pictures to friends you trust
2. Use limited profiles for non-friends
3. Crank up the privacy options.
4. Shut down your profile when you get an interview invite. Chances are that there are way too many applications for adcoms to screen pre-interview, but they could do it after the interview.

In general, it's best not to create too provocative of a profile if you are applying to a school you attend as an undergrad. People may know you more and pop onto your profile even before you apply (unlikely, but let's just say that I know that faculty have visited my profile). That could work against you if an adcom views you as a party person. Seriously though, I don't people are that shallow and that naive that people with "innocent" profiles are innocent people.;)

I know for sure that my school will go through those sites once they have their pool that was interviewed to help narrow the playing field. I put both my facebook and myspace to be viewed by friends only and set the profile pic to something very innocuous. Probably paranoia on my part as well, but hey, I got into school and that's all that counts. I'm just glad that digital cameras weren't as popular when I was a young soldier in the Army!

Privacy tips:

1. Restrict the more "fun" pictures to friends you trust
2. Use limited profiles for non-friends
3. Crank up the privacy options.
4. Shut down your profile when you get an interview invite. Chances are that there are way too many applications for adcoms to screen pre-interview, but they could do it after the interview.
I understand where you're coming from, but I dunno about the last one. This might make networking more difficult if you're proactively meeting and networking with people during your interviews. Seems to me that if you're just playing it cool by and doing the rest of the stuff, ie: retaining some humor to your profile-pic... it goes much further than seemingly appearing as inconspicuous as possible. :)

1. Never use your real name when registering on myspace/facebook
2. Never use the same email you used for myspace/facebook when applying to anything

1. Never use your real name when registering on myspace/facebook
2. Never use the same email you used for myspace/facebook when applying to anything

I think it's ok to use your real name, especially if it's a common one.

Point 2 is a good one. Use a "junk" email for this stuff.

I know that some places look at myspace and facebook accounts when they are looking at job applicants. I have not heard of schools doing this though. I have heard that my school does monitor SDN.

what do you mean by "monitor?"

haha actually my [ex] best friend :( changed most of his options and some of his info etc.. for that exact reason.. now he is super cautious/paranoid but he is also very knowledgeable and logical and he wouldn't believe anything without any proof. but i mean.. i already have all friend-only prviledges anyway ... most people should if you ask me.

I just did that thing where you can use your personal email contacts to see who's on facebook, and found the admissions coordinator for one of the schools I applied to! They are definitely on facebook and could search for applicants (whether they do or not is another story) lol

Best policy is to err on the side of caution, right?

I just did that thing where you can use your personal email contacts to see who's on facebook, and found the admissions coordinator for one of the schools I applied to! They are definitely on facebook and could search for applicants (whether they do or not is another story) lol

Best policy is to err on the side of caution, right?

OMG ! :eek: Not only I found admissions counselors but also crazy ex boyfriends and former friends ! :eek: Amazing ! I am so closing my account :smuggrin:

OMG ! :eek: Not only I found admissions counselors but also crazy ex boyfriends and former friends ! :eek: Amazing ! I am so closing my account :smuggrin:

I found my mom...now that's scary

I sense that you're being sarcastic?, cheb, but that's why profiles should be private/friends only! ;)

Last edited:
My parents actually have accounts on several russian social networks. Once my stepdad asked me why my accounts are private. I had to come up with some BS story.hahaha.

My parents actually have accounts on several russian social networks. Once my stepdad asked me why my accounts are private. I had to come up with some BS story.hahaha.

lol. If that comes up I'll just tell my mom that I'm part of the university network so only UBC people can see my profile....actually I'm usually pretty blunt with my mom "I don't want you to see my profile mom, that would be weird and an invasion of my privacy"