Facebook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFIXmyTOOTH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knows if schools check your facebook.

Members don't see this ad.

Make your profile private, then you can get drunk and take off your clothes and only your friends will see

I am sure that if you pass the application portion of the admission process, they will look you up.

There was a story in the news where an employer was caught paying facebook for profile access of their (potential) employees.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard of it happening...Not sure how true the story was :D Best not to do anything that could keep you out of dental school / hurt your chances anyways.

Good ol' Facebook..the ultimate stalker device.

Make your profile private, then you can get drunk and take off your clothes and only your friends will see

The dental schools could still pay facebook to see your whole profile, private or not.

What about if you deactivate it?
I am not sure to be honest. I have had friends deactivating their accounts and change their names on facebook to try and deter dental schools from looking them up. I chose to keep my facebook but to make it private. There is a good chance they will be able to see my profile, but I filter what goes on there anyway so I should be ok.

I am not sure to be honest. I have had friends deactivating their accounts and change their names on facebook to try and deter dental schools from looking them up. I chose to keep my facebook but to make it private. There is a good chance they will be able to see my profile, but I filter what goes on there anyway so I should be ok.

So ridiculous...I wish I would have never gotten involved with Facebook! But it's like a drug...so addicting! & now my entire family is on it, so it's nice to be able to keep up with them..ughh:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
so ridiculous...i wish i would have never gotten involved with facebook! But it's like a drug...so addicting! & now my entire family is on it, so it's nice to be able to keep up with them..ughh:confused:

+1

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone knows if schools check your facebook.

I can't say for certain that adcoms check facebook, but they sure as hell check SDN lol.

When I submitted my application, I blocked ALL photos toward everyone. I also did a thorough inspection of my profile, wall, and privacy settings. Better to be safe than sorry.

I can't say for certain that adcoms check facebook, but they sure as hell check SDN lol.

When I submitted my application, I blocked ALL photos toward everyone. I also did a thorough inspection of my profile, wall, and privacy settings. Better to be safe than sorry.

They really check SDN? Wow that's crazy. What do they look for on here? If we are mean towards our fellow SDN'ers? lol

What will they find on SDN? Haha, if anything that might help us, because they can see that future dentists have tons of sense of humor ;)

Is this true? That sounds crazy lol, especially the amount of time it would take for them to be able to figure out who is who.

I don't know about Facebook, but I do know one person from the adcom who checks SDN from time to time.

I don't know about Facebook, but I do know one person from the adcom who checks SDN from time to time.
Interesting, do you know how they would be able to tell who I am from my name and or posts?

Is there anything they look for or don't look for? I think/hope I have always conducted myself appropriately on here lol

They really check SDN? Wow that's crazy. What do they look for on here? If we are mean towards our fellow SDN'ers? lol

I don't think they try and find out who is who on SDN. They do take notice about what is said about about their respective programs. Most likely during application time when baseless rumors run rampant.

i deleted my fb. i'm probably going to make a new one when I get in. I think i'm extra paranoid :p

You can disable people from even search you up on Facebook and search engines.

i deleted my fb. i'm probably going to make a new one when I get in. I think i'm extra paranoid :p

that's not enough. you need to delete SDN account

- cut off internet. I mean literally cut the lines. If you have cable find where the cable runs into your home cut it. If you have DSL find the POTS usually its on side of home

- also remove your mail box so the mail man will be confused and have no where to put any mail.

- cell phone should be smashed up. but do put it in a e waste bin. just not all the parts together. some in this city, some in another.

all future communications would be done via use of carrier pigeons. :laugh:

- cut off internet. I mean literally cut the lines. If you have cable find where the cable runs into your home cut it. If you have DSL find the POTS usually its on side of home

- also remove your mail box so the mail man will be confused and have no where to put any mail.

- cell phone should be smashed up. but do put it in a e waste bin. just not all the parts together. some in this city, some in another.

who needs carrier pigeons? I think you mean owls.. yes

But I'm getting paranoid too. Prolly will delete any info on sdn, like dat scores, and privatize my fb...

Did all that, but now I am having trouble getting this government tracking device out of my body :thumbdown: lol

I'm sure a lot of schools do check your facebook page!

Interesting, do you know how they would be able to tell who I am from my name and or posts?

Is there anything they look for or don't look for? I think/hope I have always conducted myself appropriately on here lol

If you post your exact DAT breakdown and gpa, I would imagine it would be quite easy to figure out if they really wanted to.

i'll be like my favorite assassin then ezio :]

I think making your profile private and turning off search engine availability is enough.

Also, if you are going to do this, make sure your profile picture (the only thing they will be able to see) isn't you doing a keg stand. Then you'll be good.

So you're saying I should be worried when NYUDental is commenting on my Facebook photo albums?