FACEP, FAAEM, background, and joining

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted859535

Awaiting oral board results as are many of us. Long-time ACEP member dating back to medical school. Not currently an AAEM member.

So, assuming that I wasn't a dip**** and find myself board certified when oral board results go out, I was planning on pursuing FACEP and/or FAAEM.

I've seen some of the SDN threads about the two organizations -- basically, the idea that ACEP supports CMGs more than some/many of us would like, stronger lobbying force, but is "the" organization for us in terms of FACEP and carrying a little weight, so to speak.

Across the street, AAEM is the smaller cousin with more of a traditional SDG support philosophy. For what it's worth, I currently work in an SDG and philosophically lean that way, though may or may not find myself with a CMG some day.

I've not watched McNamara's AAEM/ACEP video(s) nor have I read The Rape of Emergency Medicine in its entirety quite yet.

For those who have actually had involvement beyond membership in one or both organizations, I'm just curious as to your thoughts and if you'd do anything different if just now joining.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm FACEP and FAAEM and pay dues to both as well as my local state ACEP chapter. People can politicize either organization to best suit their individual ideological view but from my perspective, these are the two largest lobbying bodies actively working to better Emergency Medicine physicians, regardless of strategy or success. For now, I choose to contribute to both organizations.

Reactions: 1 users
ACEP works to advance the interests of CMGs. Their board of directors is filled with people from CMGs. This explains their lack of condemnation of Dom Bagnoli and his dirty tricks at summa health. Instead, they allowed him to publish propaganda pieces in the ACEP newsletter, and basically endorsed a group hugging cmgs and singing kumbaya approach to the problem.

I'd go with AAEM.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ACEP works to advance the interests of CMGs. Their board of directors is filled with people from CMGs. This explains their lack of condemnation of Dom Bagnoli and his dirty tricks at summa health. Instead, they allowed him to publish propaganda pieces in the ACEP newsletter, and basically endorsed a group hugging cmgs and singing kumbaya approach to the problem.

I'd go with AAEM.

Problem is, that ACEP's list of EM docs blows out AAEM's membership.
But your point is true about CMGs.

Awaiting oral board results as are many of us. Long-time ACEP member dating back to medical school. Not currently an AAEM member.

So, assuming that I wasn't a dip**** and find myself board certified when oral board results go out, I was planning on pursuing FACEP and/or FAAEM.

I've seen some of the SDN threads about the two organizations -- basically, the idea that ACEP supports CMGs more than some/many of us would like, stronger lobbying force, but is "the" organization for us in terms of FACEP and carrying a little weight, so to speak.

Across the street, AAEM is the smaller cousin with more of a traditional SDG support philosophy. For what it's worth, I currently work in an SDG and philosophically lean that way, though may or may not find myself with a CMG some day.

I've not watched McNamara's AAEM/ACEP video(s) nor have I read The Rape of Emergency Medicine in its entirety quite yet.

For those who have actually had involvement beyond membership in one or both organizations, I'm just curious as to your thoughts and if you'd do anything different if just now joining.
I am AAEM and dropped my ACEP membership the day my program stopped paying for it. Happy with that choice.

All of organized medicine is mostly run for the benefit of organizational insiders but with AAEM you aren't collaborating with a group that is collaborating with the people holding the knife behind your back.

Reactions: 1 users
Bumping my own thread. Am FAAEM. My ACEP membership is up for renewal -- almost at time criteria for FACEP.

My (democratic) group pays for the dues. Even so, not sure money in ACEP's pocket is worth it for me to add FACEP to my credentials.

Reactions: 1 user
I think we should all be joining both. You join ACEP to protect emergency medicine from lawyers, politicians, and insurance companies. You join AAEM to protect you from CMG, mid-levels, and non-EM physicians. Both are important and keeping a presence in ACEP is a better strategy than leaving our loudest political voice to be completely controlled by interests we may not agree with. If you're going to donate extra, that's the time it probably makes sense to preferentially choose AAEM.

Reactions: 1 user

Just curious... what are the benefits of being either FACEP or FAAEM other than getting to add more letters after your name?

Just curious... what are the benefits of being either FACEP or FAAEM other than getting to add more letters after your name?

I think that's the thing -- I'm with an SDG and so AAEM makes more sense to me, but I don't know that there is a particular benefit to either other than essentially credentials should I ever end up moving and needing to get a position elsewhere, etc. And that's only a small benefit at that. Maybe I'm missing something.