Facing rejection. Any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wolfy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all

I am a 25 year-old male. Before 2:00 PM today, I was feeling extremely hopeful about medical school, and now I feel so lost. Here's the story:

I graduated from the College of William and Mary with high honors for research. My GPA was decent: 3.46. During this time, I was incredibly active in volunteering and various clubs; even a fraternity. :eek:

Fast forwarding, I moved to Austin for a post-bacc program, and everything was going really well:
*Overall GPA (now): 3.62
*Overall Science GPA: 3.67
*Shadowing: I have served in 2 foreign countries and have over 1,000 hours of shadowing in emergency medicine, PM&R, vascular surgery, pathology (autopsied), and sports medicine.
*I volunteer as a phlebotomist at my university and am a medical assistant at a private practice.

So about today:
In January, I took the MCAT and earned a 24 (P:6, V:8, B:10)
Redoubling my effort, I retook the MCAT in May and earned a 26 (P:, V:8, B9). I was distraught, because I honestly thought I could earned a 30 - at the very least a 29.

I'm so emotionally exhausted and fear rejection, that I'm not sure what to do. I have already submitted my application, including secondaries, a long time ago. I feel lost and completely ashamed, because I was doing everything right. I feel as though I can't keep putting off my life. To be taken out of the game by some lame exam just feels like an insult. I feel like a failure.

Is there anyone that may have some advice on what I should do? Has anyone been through this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all

I am a 25 year-old male. Before 2:00 PM today, I was feeling extremely hopeful about medical school, and now I feel so lost. Here's the story:

I graduated from the College of William and Mary with high honors for research. My GPA was decent: 3.46. During this time, I was incredibly active in volunteering and various clubs; even a fraternity. :eek:

Fast forwarding, I moved to Austin for a post-bacc program, and everything was going really well:
*Shadowing: I have served in 2 foreign countries and have over 1,000 hours of shadowing in emergency medicine, PM&R, vascular surgery, pathology (autopsied), and sports medicine.
*I volunteer as a phlebotomist at my university and am a medical assistant at a private practice.

So about today:
Redoubling my effort, I retook the MCAT in May and earned a 26 (P:, V:8, B9). I was distraught, because I honestly thought I could earned a 30 - at the very least a 29.

I'm so emotionally exhausted and fear rejection, that I'm not sure what to do. I have already submitted my application, including secondaries, a long time ago. I feel lost and completely ashamed, because I was doing everything right. I feel as though I can't keep putting off my life. To be taken out of the game by some lame exam just feels like an insult. I feel like a failure.

Is there anyone that may have some advice on what I should do? Has anyone been through this?

Maybe I'm missing something, but your stats aren't that bad. Not sure what your plan was, but it didn't sound like you are set on Hopkins or Harvard, soooo I am going out on a limb and saying you're over-reacting... :)

I think you need to retake the MCAT, but not until you're consistently scoring in the 30s on practice tests. I just took the MCAT for the third time on Saturday... you won't be alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all

So about today:

Considered D.O. schools? If you have texas residency, apply TCOM and all MD the Texas schools through the TMDSAS. You have a great chance at D.O.

I am also scared I will get rejected (from 30 schools!!), my MCAT is also not so great, and lord knows I won't be able to find time in the foreseeable future to re-study for it, so I might have to skip next year's application cycle. I definitely freak out about that sometimes.

I am 28, and I did feel like my life was on hold while I was doing the prereqs (full time for one year), but now I have a job (ok, 2 jobs) and my own apartment and I am building a life that I like, that involves medicine so that I won't feel like I'm in some holding pattern for the next 1-3 years. So try to take it one step at a time and enjoy the life you have now. Maybe save up and take an MCAT prep course, too. My sister took the LSAT 3 times--this includes 2 prep courses--and is in law school at a good school now. Most people who don't do what they dreamed of doing gave up along the way.

Thanks, y'all! :)

I wish you each the best. I've started tackling the problem head on. I think I just needed to put it out there and connect with people in the same boat. I appreciate your responses.

Hey y'all

So about today:

Wait, what happened at 2pm today that changed everything?

Overall, if I were you, I'd keep fighting. Everything is strong except your MCAT. The MCAT, like any other test, tests your ability to take a test more than it tests your knowledge. And you can learn to take a test - I'd guess you're simply not preparing right. I took the MCAT twice, and improved by 4 points after taking a Kaplan prep course. It was super helpful (disclaimer, I enjoyed it enough and have enough time and not enough money that I am teaching Kaplan MCAT in the fall). Think about doing something like that. But if you decide not to, I can tell you that the single biggest difference for me was doing full-length tests. The first time I took the MCAT, I didn't do any full lengths ahead of time, so my timing was all off. The second time, I did about 10 full lengths before the real thing, so on test day, it was just business as usual.

Hit me up in a couple of months. :laugh:

In all honesty, if I didn't get in this cycle, I would take a breather, figure out my gameplan for a third MCAT (which I have sort of worked out in my head), and apply one more time.

Since you submitted your secondaries already, the best thing to do is find some way to get your mind off of things by staying busy.

I think you dont have a cause to be afraid. Everything will be fine, from the looks of it, you went to good school, did well and ur science GPA is great. I think there'll be a school that is willing to take you, its not just based on MCAT alone.

Dude. Best advice for you right now. Study & practice 8 hours a day until September 10th test and you shall be fine. Your 9 in Physics and Bio shows that you don't have a strong grasp of the science.

Hey y'all

So about today: