FACS initials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudentmed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...I see some ophthalmologists with 'MD, FACS' after their name and some with just 'MD'...is there a difference in the training / board certification status of these doctors?
What initials are typically after your name after you finish residency and get board certified?

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious...I see some ophthalmologists with 'MD, FACS' after their name and some with just 'MD'...is there a difference in the training / board certification status of these doctors?
What initials are typically after your name after you finish residency and get board certified?

FACS= member "fellow" of the american college of surgeons. You have to apply to be a member and I don't really know all the details of the process.

Typically after residency you are still an MD

The ACS is a separate organization. You have to apply to join.

To be a fellow, you have to be a member and be board-certified in a surgical specialty. Ophthalmology is one such specialty that qualifies.

You also have to have a nomination from active fellows. That is generally pretty easy to get. I am not sure of the current requirement, but at least one and possibly more are required. See their website.

You have to be in good standing: no license or legal issues.

You also pay a fee. It is about $450 annually.

What does it give you? In some places, a little more informal but equal standing with the other surgeons. That might matter on a community hospital surgery committee. In an academic practice, probably not as much.

To the public, it means you are board-certified. I have seen some ophthalmologists use the abbreviation F.A.A.O., for their fellow standing in the AAO, which would mean the same thing, I guess.

I hope that helps.

-orbitsurgMD, F.A.C.S.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So are all ophthalmologist who are board certified FAAO?
What is the difference between a "fellow" and "diplomate"?

So are all ophthalmologist who are board certified FAAO?
What is the difference between a "fellow" and "diplomate"?

I believe there is a term of membership required in addition to board certification.