Factor VII and Pegylation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Epic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We know that Factor VII can save lives in bleeding patients. We also know that it's an expensive treatment. And we also know attaching a PEG to a moleclue extends the half life.

So what happens if we attach a PEG molecule to Factor VII? We can use less factor VII....right?

What say you thinkers?

Members don't see this ad.

A brief PubMed seach showed some researchers at Univ. of Minn. that have studied this. I only read the abstract, but it seems that there is potential for increased circulatory lifetime. As to the end result in humans...I don't know.

A brief PubMed seach showed some researchers at Univ. of Minn. that have studied this. I only read the abstract, but it seems that there is potential for increased circulatory lifetime. As to the end result in humans...I don't know.

hmmm... interesting...

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess we're assuming pegylation doesn't screw up activity for VII/VIIa or degradation of VIIa. Dunno if that's the case or not.

To a smaller initial dose, I'd say no, because the clotting cascade is amplification based.

It could potentially be administered less often, since it appears that administration frequency is generally limited by short half life rather than exhaustion of supply by use.

I guess we're assuming pegylation doesn't screw up activity for VII/VIIa or degradation of VIIa. Dunno if that's the case or not.

To a smaller initial dose, I'd say no, because the clotting cascade is amplification based.

It could potentially be administered less often, since it appears that administration frequency is generally limited by short half life rather than exhaustion of supply by use.

billion dollar question..isn't it.

Factor VII Deficiency:
The frequency is higher in countries where consanguineous marriage is more common. It's three more times common in Iran than Italy or the United Kingdom.

Now we know who the drug reps should be targeting.

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic3041.htm

Hush. I'm reading about it right now.

So what, am I suppose to find that for you too?

Interns get paid where I work.

I'll look for the company when I get back from the grocery store. I have to be domestic of all things. Whooo hooo.

Members don't see this ad :)
No...I already have the stocks. It's dirt cheap...

So what, am I suppose to find that for you too?

Interns get paid where I work.

I'll look for the company when I get back from the grocery store. I have to be domestic of all things. Whooo hooo.

how about I give you..hmmm 10 shares?

Good.

Like I said, we know who to market it to...

Good.

Like I said, we know who to market it to...

You don't understand intern...

This is a very very clinically driven trolling on my part.... Where can we use Factor VII? What kind of impact will Trasylol demise have on Factor VII?

Will Pegylation allow lower priced and easier access?

How much does it cost for a normal course with Factor VII?

... if I had money I could afford to lose. My current investments are my education and a pharmacy admissions guide. Hopefully those pay off. :)

heck...buy 100 shares... or 500 shares... and when it hits $20...you can go out for a nice dinner..

You don't understand intern...

This is a very very clinically driven trolling on my part.... Where can we use Factor VII? What kind of impact will Trasylol demise have on Factor VII?

Will Pegylation allow lower priced and easier access?

How much does it cost for a normal course with Factor VII?

Ya think? Is that what happened c Neupogen and Neulasta?

Ya think? Is that what happened c Neupogen and Neulasta?

No, not yet. But this company is working on glycopegylation of GCSF also...hence..what do you think will happen to the cost? The monopoly will soon end. Goodbye Amgen.

Unless they have something else in the pipeline (which I don't know if they do or not)...

They have a bunch...but nothing exciting to my knowledge...
It's not exiciting because I don't foresee their stock skyrocketing...

When a $1 stock goes to $10 to $20...it's exciting..

$45 stock isn't going to become $450... in pharma.

Factor VII Deficiency:
The frequency is higher in countries where consanguineous marriage is more common. It's three more times common in Iran than Italy or the United Kingdom.

Now we know who the drug reps should be targeting.

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic3041.htm

You just need to stay in school and join conversations like this in a few years....

No no..the company I invested in is the competition for Nektar... Nektar actually pegylates for Amgen..

You see... there are stocks that's valued at what the company is worth...then there are stocks that ride the wave of emotion created by the traders based on good news. I like to ride the waves...

You just need to stay in school and join conversations like this in a few years....

What say you lowly resident... any merit in glycopegylation of Factors and GCSF? Well we already know about GCSF..

They have a bunch...but nothing exciting to my knowledge...
It's not exiciting because I don't foresee their stock skyrocketing...

When a $1 stock goes to $10 to $20...it's exciting..

$45 stock isn't going to become $450... in pharma.

Well, I don't necessarily mean stock prices. I was referring to your "clinically driven" question (at least it was initially ;)). By the time that PEG GCSF comes out, they'll have already ridden Neulasta out. And it's not like that wouldn't be a high-priced brand either.

Well, I don't necessarily mean stock prices. I was referring to your "clinically driven" question (at least it was initially ;)). By the time that PEG GCSF comes out, they'll have already ridden Neulasta out. And it's not like that wouldn't be a high-priced brand either.

No one addressed how Trasylol is going to affect Factor VII...

Whatever :rolleyes:.

I'll get bored with convo like this in a few years, just like I'm bored with what I'm learning right now.

As a matter of fact, y'all are boring :smuggrin:.

What say you lowly resident... any merit in glycopegylation of Factors and GCSF? Well we already know about GCSF..

If white cell stimulators are used for an example, then it is a surprise that you are advocating this sort of thing. Surely you don't let Pegfilgrastrim on to any formularies you oversee correct?

I am honestly not sure about agents like factor VII, but once again, considering the current pegylated agents that are available, what do you think a company would charge for a dose of their "novel" idea? Furthermore, would you feel that you had a conflict of interest owning stock in a company who creates something like PEG-Factor VII?

No one addressed how Trasylol is going to affect Factor VII...

I haven't actually looked into this, but we have an MUE currently underway which may be able to address such a question. However, my feeling is it should just shift use toward other traditional antifibrinolytics like tranexamic acid (1/10th the cost of aprotinin) and/or aminocaproic acid.

If white cell stimulators are used for an example, then it is a surprise that you are advocating this sort of thing. Surely you don't let Pegfilgrastrim on to any formularies you oversee correct?

I am honestly not sure about agents like factor VII, but once again, considering the current pegylated agents that are available, what do you think a company would charge for a dose of their "novel" idea? Furthermore, would you feel that you had a conflict of interest owning stock in a company who creates something like PEG-Factor VII?

Exactly. Assuming these are the only guys that come up with a PEG-VII...why wouldn't they pull the same thing Amgen did with Pegfil?

I don't see how it would lower prices or make for easier access. Would it be a superior product though? Well, sure...

Exactly. Assuming these are the only guys that come up with a PEG-VII...why wouldn't they pull the same thing Amgen did with Pegfil?

I don't see how it would lower prices or make for easier access. Would it be a superior product though? Well, sure...

Hush drug rep...you don't know...

:smuggrin:

See... residency is at least learning you to think.. I like the progress you're making.. because you really had long ways to go before... :smuggrin:

No Peg stuff in inpatient. But I believe there is room for Neulasta in outpatient oncology. What would you do if it was your family member?

No conflict of interest. What's good for Epic isn't good for client hospitals always... and most of this stuff is in Phase II and III... by the time they make it to the market, I'll be playing with other Phase II and III stuff.

I haven't actually looked into this, but we have an MUE currently underway which may be able to address such a question. However, my feeling is it should just shift use toward other traditional antifibrinolytics like tranexamic acid (1/10th the cost of aprotinin) and/or aminocaproic acid.

Right..that's our position also. However, there will be some surgeons insisting FVII availability...just in case. Also, readily available VII saves lives... trauma for example..

Yeah, I'm all about cost reduction. But treating patients is the #1 priority. Don't ever forget that.

btw.. you might not be too bad of a druggist by the time July rolls around..:smuggrin:

Look at it this way... we're pharmacists and pharmacy students in the United States. This means we're getting the best education available in the world. We're the foremost experts in pharmacy practice.

We have the ability to understand pharmacotherapy and how new drug development affects the way medicine is practiced. Think outside of the box.. instead of "which chain is the best to work for..." think about what kind of researches are being done to treat disease. Read some journals...

Then daytrade the heck out of yourself... :smuggrin:

Hush drug rep...you don't know...

:smuggrin:

If you are a drug representative spirivasunshine, how do you know so much? All of your posts are really intelligent.

What does everyone think about Sargramostim?