Factors is having a competitive application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marlin3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a question or two concerning applying to DPT programs.
1. How many programs to apply to?
2. Competition this year/last year?
3. What makes the strongest application?
4. How important is a high GRE score? (my brother is in med school and it seemed that the MCAT was often the most important factor in determining who would get a shot at an interview.
5. How important is location and tuition cost in making certain places "competitive".

Just to help, I am Purdue student, 3.8gpa, many extracurriculars, summer internship at RIC in chicago and taking GRE shortly. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Well it sounds to me like you're in a good position. I'll be honest, I'm not sure if it really matters if you go to a tippity top school for getting a job. PT jobs are pretty well available now.

I would apply to at least 10 schools. As far as competition, I've heard people tell me that it's VERY competitive, however, to be honest with you, those who told me that didn't exactly have the most stellar scores or interview capabilities. I also know two girls who got into a top PT school after having been booted from another PT school, their grades were similar to yours, and they weren't even interviewed. I don't know what their GRE's were but I don't think they were stellar.

A strong application has grades like yours, good extracurriculars, lots of shadowing time in broad settings (acute, rehab and outpatient), good recommendation letters and, sometimes, connections.

I'm not sure what effect cost and location have on competitiveness. But I would say, try to go to the cheapest program you can find, or at least one with a paid internship. Salaries right now are not really worth the severe debt of a top tier university (but if money isn't a concern then go for it). Also, look for schools with good scholarship opportunities.

To enhance your chance of acceptance I'd highly recommend a campus visit and a tour of the facilities. Then when you go to write your essays, you can describe first hand, what advantages and resources a school has to offer you.

I also wouldn't think of the application process as the school accepting you... I'd think of it as YOU accepting the SCHOOL. Every school is SOOOO different in curriculum and facilities and even style of practice. Research, research, research EVERYTHING YOU CAN about the school before you make a decision.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

marlin3 said:
Just a question or two concerning applying to DPT programs.
1. How many programs to apply to?
2. Competition this year/last year?
3. What makes the strongest application?
4. How important is a high GRE score? (my brother is in med school and it seemed that the MCAT was often the most important factor in determining who would get a shot at an interview.
5. How important is location and tuition cost in making certain places "competitive".

Just to help, I am Purdue student, 3.8gpa, many extracurriculars, summer internship at RIC in chicago and taking GRE shortly. Any help would be appreciated.

Granted, I don't know anyone in admissions at any schools other than my own but I wouldn't say it is all that competitive anymore. When I started school in 1998, it was still very competitive because in years past PT's were still pretty much able to get a job wherever they wanted for a very sizable salary. That all changed in 1998 and after that, the number of applications began to drop.

I know for a fact that at my school, by the time I graduated and in the years since, the number of applications have dropped at least by a third. I'm not saying this to be offensive but they truly started taking people that never would have been accepted in the 90's when they would have been competing against a larger number of applicants.

I'm not saying this to discourage you. In fact, it should encourage you because I think you're much more likely to get in than if you were applying several years earlier!!! Your grades look great. Get good volunteer experience and do well on the GRE. If you apply to MCV they don't have an interview. :)

The same advice the above poster gave you is good advice though. Apply to as many schools as you can afford, but only apply to schools you would want to attend. I would also recommend going to a cheaper school, preferable in-state if you can. You will thank yourself when you have much less debt.