Factors when picking a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

whyrightmeow

OSU c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I am in my first year and there are a few things I wish I would have considered before I made my final decision. These are only my opinion, and I won't be offended if yours varies. I am only posting this because I wish I would have read something like it before I made my decision.

I am at The Ohio State University right now as an out of state student.

Positives:
Can apply for resident tuition next year
Great school, nice facilities
Curriculum includes Professional development - basically a 1 credit course on a variety of topics including stress, time managment, finances, etc
Parking is right outside the building
Parking pass is a hang tag, so carpoolers can share 1 tag between several cars
24 hr access to building
Nice recreational facility/wall climbing
Social worker available 24/7 (for when you finally have that meltdown)

Negatives:
Quarter system (not semesters) - this complicates everything. Plus you don't finish until June.
Can only leave for 3 weeks over the summer - so any externship must be in-state unless it is HIGHLY unusual.
Lockers are tiny; a normal bookbag will not fit into them. It is also very crowded when everyone is trying to get to their locker at the same time. (seems minor, I know, but its the little stresses that are the worst)

Things I wish I would have asked:
Is anatomy lab structured, or do you just get a dog and a book? (Our canine anatomy lab is, in my opinion, poorly structured)
Are tests returned to students, or is it against honor code to write down questions from the test? (At OSU vet school no tests are returned, EVER. This bothers me after every test, since I like to know what I got wrong and what the correct answer was - this may have been a deal-breaker for me)
How much (live) animal interaction is there for first year students?
Do you buy class notes or are they posted online so notes can be taken directly on a laptop? (I was amazed at needing to buy 80% of my notes, when I came from an undergrad school that I never once bought a course pack for)
Is the schedule set, or does it change from day to day? (Our schedule has a main theme, but basically changes a little each day)
 
Hi everyone! I’m looking for some help with deciding between two schools. I’ve been accepted to Oklahoma State (OOS) and St. George’s, and waitlisted at a couple other schools, but I’ll consider those when the time comes if I get accepted. I’ve been reading through this forum and I understand that cost should be my number one consideration. From the information that I have received from the schools, OSU’s fall 2018 tuition and fees would be $23,840 and SGU’s would be $15,540. Originally, SGU was my backup school and I would have been very happy to attend had it been my only choice. However, after seeing the tuition difference between the schools, I'm now on the fence. I know that the COL and travel expenses are more expensive at SGU, and then I would also have to move again after three years. VIN estimated that the cost of SGU after four years would be almost $6k greater than OSU, but I know that COL can be manipulated, and the numbers don't totally match up to what the schools gave me.

My list of Pros for OSU: older program, offers much more electives (from what I found online), familiarity of the US, can drive my car there and bring most of my things from home, small class size, cheaper housing, more scholarship opportunities, and a higher pass rate on the NAVLE last year.

Pros for SGU: I know vets who graduated from there and are successful (I don’t know anyone who graduated from OSU), I live in Florida and have family who live a couple islands away from Grenada, so island life wouldn’t be too difficult to adjust to, study breaks on the beach, opportunity to choose where I want to do my rotations.

I know either school will result in me being a doctor, but with all things considered, is it worth moving to the island for a lower tuition? And if anyone at either school has opinions on the matter I'd love to hear them too! Thank you in advance!
My understanding is that going to any island school is likely going to cost you more vs a main land school, no matter how you try to minimize COL. I've also been told that there isn't great medical care on the island, so if you get sick, you will be flying back to the states, which is not only expensive, but also detrimental to your education. There is also the stress of island life in general. Penn takes a few transfers from Ross every year, and the transfers in my class all say they couldn't be happier to get off the island. Personally, I believe you will be better off going to OSU. Just because you don't personally know any Dr's who graduated from there, doesn't mean there aren't tons of very successful OSU grads (meaning I wouldn't necessarily list that as a pro or a con for either school).
 
My understanding is that going to any island school is likely going to cost you more vs a main land school, no matter how you try to minimize COL. I've also been told that there isn't great medical care on the island, so if you get sick, you will be flying back to the states, which is not only expensive, but also detrimental to your education. There is also the stress of island life in general. Penn takes a few transfers from Ross every year, and the transfers in my class all say they couldn't be happier to get off the island. Personally, I believe you will be better off going to OSU. Just because you don't personally know any Dr's who graduated from there, doesn't mean there aren't tons of very successful OSU grads (meaning I wouldn't necessarily list that as a pro or a con for either school).
I worked for a doctor that went to an island school, from what I have heard generally it is not safe either, outside of the campus and the resort areas. From reading online it says SGU's tuition and fees per term is actually 18,949 for pre-clinical
 
I am currently split between Iowa and Purdue. Unfortunately I will be OOS for both schools and was wondering if anyone has any insights about the two schools? I am currently leaning towards Purdue due to lower OOS tuition and I really enjoyed the "feel" of the school when I interviewed. However, I don't want to base my decision solely on these two factors considering I didn't get to visit Iowa. My current interests are small animal oncology / emergency but I am definitely open to exploring more in the next few years. Thank you! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently split between Iowa and Purdue. Unfortunately I will be OOS for both schools and was wondering if anyone has any insights about the two schools? I am currently leaning towards Purdue due to lower OOS tuition and I really enjoyed the "feel" of the school when I interviewed. However, I don't want to base my decision solely on these two factors considering I didn't get to visit Iowa. My current interests are small animal oncology / emergency but I am definitely open to exploring more in the next few years. Thank you! 🙂
I went to ISU. They have a great oncology program, and they’re working on getting stereotactic radiation within the next year. That being said, go with the cheaper option. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about ISU.
 
My understanding is that going to any island school is likely going to cost you more vs a main land school, no matter how you try to minimize COL. I've also been told that there isn't great medical care on the island, so if you get sick, you will be flying back to the states, which is not only expensive, but also detrimental to your education. There is also the stress of island life in general. Penn takes a few transfers from Ross every year, and the transfers in my class all say they couldn't be happier to get off the island. Personally, I believe you will be better off going to OSU. Just because you don't personally know any Dr's who graduated from there, doesn't mean there aren't tons of very successful OSU grads (meaning I wouldn't necessarily list that as a pro or a con for either school).
I hadn't thought of the medical care so thanks for pointing that out! I know medical care on the island where my family lives isn't great but I figured it wouldn't be too bad at St. George's since they also have a medical school, so I would hope those students have good clinicians to learn from. You're right I shouldn't have a pro/con based on doctors I know, I just have exposure to a lot of vets and haven't met a single one from OSU, so it was just reassuring to talk with those from SGU and see where they are now. Thanks for your help!
 
I hadn't thought of the medical care so thanks for pointing that out! I know medical care on the island where my family lives isn't great but I figured it wouldn't be too bad at St. George's since they also have a medical school, so I would hope those students have good clinicians to learn from. You're right I shouldn't have a pro/con based on doctors I know, I just have exposure to a lot of vets and haven't met a single one from OSU, so it was just reassuring to talk with those from SGU and see where they are now. Thanks for your help!
There are at least two regulars on here who are vets that graduated from OkSU, and I'm sure they'd be happy to talk about their experiences. At every school, within every class, there will be some great doctors, many adequate doctors, and likely a very small number of doctors who don't meet the standards. I have been in multiple geographical regions now at a couple of institutions, taught students both from US-based schools and the islands, and this has been consistent. The school truly doesn't matter all that much, and a lot of vet school is what you make it.
 
I worked for a doctor that went to an island school, from what I have heard generally it is not safe either, outside of the campus and the resort areas. From reading online it says SGU's tuition and fees per term is actually 18,949 for pre-clinical
It was recommended to me that students should stay in the tourist areas for safety or on campus, so I would intend to stay as safe as possible if I were to attend. Any place can be dangerous if you're not careful, but I'm definitely more wary of island life.
I saw that number online as well, but the $15k was what they sent to me in the mail with my acceptance packet, so that's why I quoted that number. I imagine there are some fees missing though because it was surprisingly lower than I thought when I applied. I'll have to ask them about that. Thank you for taking the time to reply!
 
Well I'm at a stand still. I've never had choices before so this is throwing me for a loop. I'm trying to decide between Minnesota and MSU both OOS. I'm interested in small animal oncology and occasionally dabbling in wildlife. If anyone has anything to weigh in please share your knowledge with me 😉
 
Hi all, hopefully I get a response here since it seems the last posts were in 2008. I'm looking for the Factors when picking a vet school google docs that I found a year ago, but it says it's no longer available? Please let me know if it was deleted for sure or if someone could link it for me, I would highly appreciate it. I was referring to that document to let me pick schools based on what I prefer from the environment of the school and the area. Also if they require a laptop, this was a huge no for me.
 
Hi all, hopefully I get a response here since it seems the last posts were in 2008. I'm looking for the Factors when picking a vet school google docs that I found a year ago, but it says it's no longer available? Please let me know if it was deleted for sure or if someone could link it for me, I would highly appreciate it. I was referring to that document to let me pick schools based on what I prefer from the environment of the school and the area. Also if they require a laptop, this was a huge no for me.
Not sure what happened to the google doc (@Elkhart ? ) but the original document is in this post. Hasn't been updated in a bit.

Here's the new list with updated info for Iowa and Illinois!

We're missing: Atlantic Vet, Calgary, Central Luzon, Copenhagen, Lincoln Memorial, Massey, Melbourne, Murdoch, Queensland, Ross, Royal Vet, Saskatchewan, St. Matthew's, Sydney, Dublin, Utrecht

Need expansion: Midwestern, Oregon, St. George's, Tuskeegee, Washington

Bolded some because I think they maybe the easiest to get info on.

If you click on the arrow next to bats's name it'll take you to the post where the doc is attached
 
Hello everyone! I have a very difficult decision to make that I am hoping somebody here can help me with. I have already taken a seat at my in-state school, Auburn, but I just got off the OOS waitlist at Texas A&M, and they are offering me in-state tuition and a small scholarship provided I maintain a 3.0 GPA during vet school (I will be confirming all the details of this offer - I am not super concerned about maintaining this GPA because I have a history of very strong academic performance in the sciences (~3.8 in chemistry B.S.), but I acknowledge it is a factor to consider and don't want to seem cocky). I've done the math, and this makes the cost difference only about $8k (if anybody sees a bigger difference please let me know!) more at A&M.

I am currently trying to decide, based purely on my education and career for right now, which would be the better choice for my interests. Said interests are a little all over the place since I'm only a pre-vet right now, but I will try to condense them for the purpose of this post. I am pretty die-hard equine-focused but also would like to explore food animal at least a bit. I grew up in an extremely sports-horse-oriented area, so that is where most of my animal and veterinary experience is; also have some small animal, but my only significant food animal experience is dairy. I am planning on specializing, and my specific medical interests include surgery, infectious diseases, microbiology, and dermatology. I do recognize derm and surgery are extremely competitive, but I think I could be happy in just about any clinical specialty (especially equine), and I of course expect to change my mind a lot and find new interests in vet school.

Looking at just the curricula for the two schools, my initial preference is Auburn because of how specific their courses seem and how they seem to divide up the material a lot; that seems better for my learning style, but I don't know if I'm just being distracted by all the exciting-sounding class titles, lol. Auburn also seems like I would have just a hair more freedom with rotations - only like 1 or 2 more elective slots I can fill though, so not sure how significant that is.

The residencies at Auburn I would be interested in are Equine Emergency and Critical Care, Equine Internal Medicine, Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery, and Equine Theriogenology. At A&M, they have Equine Theriogenology, Large Animal Internal Medicine (can do up to 80% equine), and Large Animal Surgery (also primarily equine). Obviously all the equine-specific stuff at Auburn sounds super cool, but I'm wondering if an equine-focused LA residency would better prepare me for board certification and give me more career flexibility.

The most important non-academic factor is that I have a long-term boyfriend living 3 hours from College Station with whom I have been long-distance for 2 and a half years. He would try to move closer to me if I went to Auburn but that obviously depends on a lot of stuff since he has his own career to think about. He and I have both agreed that I should choose the school better for my education and career, and we will just try to make it work. However if there truly is zero difference, I would obviously like to be closer to him.



TL;DR:
  • Auburn vs A&M
  • pretty equal cost
  • primarily interested in equine but wondering if more food animal opportunities at A&M residencies would give me better career diversity
  • like Auburn's curriculum because of how they have a lot of specific classes instead of fewer general ones, seem to have a little more freedom to explore interests
  • closer to long-distance boyfriend at A&M



If anyone has ANY advice or knowledge about either school, I would really appreciate it, because I am really undecided right now! :shrug: I would especially appreciate insight from students/grads of either school, and from anyone with equine industry experience. Thank you so much!


(also, I cannot link to the curricula because this is a new account, so will try to attach pdfs!)

C7CB148B-0FBA-421D-98D7-B3993C8AF7F2.gif

Thanks, @hygebeorht
 
Hello everyone! I have a very difficult decision to make that I am hoping somebody here can help me with. I have already taken a seat at my in-state school, Auburn, but I just got off the OOS waitlist at Texas A&M, and they are offering me in-state tuition and a small scholarship provided I maintain a 3.0 GPA during vet school (I will be confirming all the details of this offer - I am not super concerned about maintaining this GPA because I have a history of very strong academic performance in the sciences (~3.8 in chemistry B.S.), but I acknowledge it is a factor to consider and don't want to seem cocky). I've done the math, and this makes the cost difference only about $8k (if anybody sees a bigger difference please let me know!) more at A&M.

I am currently trying to decide, based purely on my education and career for right now, which would be the better choice for my interests. Said interests are a little all over the place since I'm only a pre-vet right now, but I will try to condense them for the purpose of this post. I am pretty die-hard equine-focused but also would like to explore food animal at least a bit. I grew up in an extremely sports-horse-oriented area, so that is where most of my animal and veterinary experience is; also have some small animal, but my only significant food animal experience is dairy. I am planning on specializing, and my specific medical interests include surgery, infectious diseases, microbiology, and dermatology. I do recognize derm and surgery are extremely competitive, but I think I could be happy in just about any clinical specialty (especially equine), and I of course expect to change my mind a lot and find new interests in vet school.

Looking at just the curricula for the two schools, my initial preference is Auburn because of how specific their courses seem and how they seem to divide up the material a lot; that seems better for my learning style, but I don't know if I'm just being distracted by all the exciting-sounding class titles, lol. Auburn also seems like I would have just a hair more freedom with rotations - only like 1 or 2 more elective slots I can fill though, so not sure how significant that is.

The residencies at Auburn I would be interested in are Equine Emergency and Critical Care, Equine Internal Medicine, Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery, and Equine Theriogenology. At A&M, they have Equine Theriogenology, Large Animal Internal Medicine (can do up to 80% equine), and Large Animal Surgery (also primarily equine). Obviously all the equine-specific stuff at Auburn sounds super cool, but I'm wondering if an equine-focused LA residency would better prepare me for board certification and give me more career flexibility.

The most important non-academic factor is that I have a long-term boyfriend living 3 hours from College Station with whom I have been long-distance for 2 and a half years. He would try to move closer to me if I went to Auburn but that obviously depends on a lot of stuff since he has his own career to think about. He and I have both agreed that I should choose the school better for my education and career, and we will just try to make it work. However if there truly is zero difference, I would obviously like to be closer to him.



TL;DR:
  • Auburn vs A&M
  • pretty equal cost
  • primarily interested in equine but wondering if more food animal opportunities at A&M residencies would give me better career diversity
  • like Auburn's curriculum because of how they have a lot of specific classes instead of fewer general ones, seem to have a little more freedom to explore interests
  • closer to long-distance boyfriend at A&M



If anyone has ANY advice or knowledge about either school, I would really appreciate it, because I am really undecided right now! :shrug: I would especially appreciate insight from students/grads of either school, and from anyone with equine industry experience. Thank you so much!


(also, I cannot link to the curricula because this is a new account, so will try to attach pdfs!)
Not an expert in equine opportunities by any means, but just general advice for the part of your post that I bolded- The school you go to does not necessarily mean you will be able to complete a residency there. In fact, several schools even refuse to take their own students (mostly for internships, but still). As stated elsewhere in this site, what makes you a good candidate for an internship/residency is less on your school, but more on grades, connections, experience/opportunities in that field (which you would be able to find at both schools), and letters of recommendation.
 
Edit: Then again, as you say, it is entirely possible that there is equal opportunity at both schools and I'm just splitting hairs because I really don't want to make a decision 😀
Flip a coin. Heads is A&M, tails is Auburn. Dead serious.
If you’re sad about the outcome, go to the other school. If you’re excited, well theres your choice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I appreciate the advice and think you're probably right 🙂 I think what it really comes down to is I prefer Auburn's curriculum, but I wish I preferred A&M because I would have liked to semi-close the distance with my boyfriend 🙁 it's probably smarter to pick the school that matches my learning style though
Vet school can be pretty hard on relationships. I know a lot of people who came in with what they thought were rock solid relationships, and graduated single. What happens if you pick A&M and you break up with your boyfriend? Would you still want to be at that school?
 
Hi everyone, I've picked a few schools with potential specialties I am interested in, but was wondering what the safety is like in each area? If there's a lot of crime, poverty, what places to avoid. I live in a suburban/urban area.

I know that there's crime anywhere you go but it would be be helpful to get more of an idea.


CSU - Fort Collins
Cornell - Ithaca
MSU - E. Lansing
UGA - Athens
UTK - Knoxville
*Ontario Vet College
WSU - Pullman
Tx A&M - College Station
 
Last edited:
what the safety is like in each area? If there's a lot of crime, poverty, what places to avoid. I live in a suburban area, outside of the busy city, so there isn't too much poverty here or much crime. I know that there's crime anywhere you go but it would be be helpful to get more of an idea.
Uni of Guelph - Ontario
For reference,

28863881-6663-4198-848F-95510EC20A6A.jpeg
 
MSU - E. Lansing

Yeah, I don't leave my house much except to go to school so I can't tell you much about what the area is like or where to avoid. I'm sure there are probably better and worse places in the area. For whatever it's worth, I don't live too far from the school and feel pretty safe where I live despite my rampant anxiety. 😛
 
I probably wouldn't mind still being at the school; it's still a great school and I have an older sister living in Houston who I would love to reconnect with, so that wouldn't concern me 🙂 I just have concerns about the curriculum and whether it's as good of a fit for me as Auburn
I think the way they divide up classes is probably less of an issue than you think. With a school like Illinois where you have massive tests and only one grade instead of one for each class or Davis where you go through each system in blocks—I think that’s a big thing to take into consideration. But you’re going to be learning pretty much the same info at basically every AVMA accredited Vet school, just maybe in a different order. I wouldn’t put a ton of weight in how they’re diving up material if that’s your main concern with the curriculum.
 
Hi everyone, I've finally picked a few schools according to the specialties I'm interested in, but was wondering what the safety is like in each area? If there's a lot of crime, poverty, what places to avoid. I live in a suburban area, outside of the busy city, so there isn't too much poverty here or much crime. I know that there's crime anywhere you go but it would be be helpful to get more of an idea.

CSU - Fort Collins
Cornell - Ithaca
MSU - E. Lansing
UGA - Athens
UTK - Knoxville
*Ontario Vet College
WSU - Pullman
Tx A&M - College Station
To not answer your question at all, there are a few things that should be higher priority than what specialties they've got going on. You can join any veterinary specialty graduating from any vet school. I'd recommend focusing more on the cost, where you have better chances of getting in (what are they looking for and do you have it?), the cost, what pre-reqs do they require and have you taken them, and the cost to name a few. And then don't apply anywhere you don't intend to go should they be your only acceptance.

To help with your actual question I was in Fort Collins once for a day and it felt very nice/safe. No idea about the rest of the places.
 
To not answer your question at all, there are a few things that should be higher priority than what specialties they've got going on. You can join any veterinary specialty graduating from any vet school. I'd recommend focusing more on the cost, where you have better chances of getting in (what are they looking for and do you have it?), the cost, what pre-reqs do they require and have you taken them, and the cost to name a few. And then don't apply anywhere you don't intend to go should they be your only acceptance.
Thank you bc I was too lazy to actually type this all out
 
Hi everyone, I've finally picked a few schools according to the specialties I'm interested in, but was wondering what the safety is like in each area? If there's a lot of crime, poverty, what places to avoid. I live in a suburban area, outside of the busy city, so there isn't too much poverty here or much crime. I know that there's crime anywhere you go but it would be be helpful to get more of an idea.

CSU - Fort Collins
Cornell - Ithaca
MSU - E. Lansing
UGA - Athens
UTK - Knoxville
*Ontario Vet College
WSU - Pullman
Tx A&M - College Station
Grew up near fort Collins, but went to college in Chicago. I may have a skewed view vs someone who hasn't lived in a large metro, but fort Collins is ridiculously safe in my opinion. Edit: I don't think Chicago is that bad and have lived in some sketchy parts

Also disclaimer that may disqualify my opinion: haven't lived in CO for 12 years.

Also currently living about 25 minutes from East Lansing Michigan and it seems nice, though Lansing is a titch rough... But again not really that bad imo.
Okemos and Haslett are also very nice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Grew up near fort Collins, but went to college in Chicago. I may have a skewed view vs someone who hasn't lived in a large metro, but fort Collins is ridiculously safe in my opinion. Edit: I don't think Chicago is that bad and have lived in some sketchy parts

Also disclaimer that may disqualify my opinion: haven't lived in CO for 12 years.

Also currently living about 25 minutes from East Lansing Michigan and it seems nice, though Lansing is a titch rough... But again not really that bad imo.
Okemos and Haslett are also very nice.
Live in FoCo now and it's ridiculously safe. Not to mention, the campus warning system is pretty on top of it and they'll text us about any incidents happening off campus (in areas with a high percentage of student renters) so we know not to head over there for the time being.
 
Thank your for your reply! I think my main issue is that like, for example, Auburn has separate courses for each main body system, like a cardiovascular system course and a musculoskeletal system course, etc.. At A&M it looks like I'd be learning about bits and pieces of any one system in various sections of various courses (organ dysfunction, pathology, etc.) I wonder if I would do better with all the material of a specific subject like that being presented in one course, rather than spread out all over the place. Not saying an integrative curriculum isn't good, just don't know if it meshes with my individual learning style. Then again, I am probably being extremely picky 🙂 and it looks like A&M's new curriculum might allow me to track according to my interests more than at Auburn, so 6 of one half a dozen of the other
.

Just my two cents, but we have an intergrated curriculum as well, and I’ve found it helpful. First year was basically the “normal” with general prcocesses of how things can go wrong. Second year has been abnormal and specific diseases, etc. Third year is basically abnormal again, but now focusing on how to treat it. I’ve really liked dividing things up this way, because even though it’s meant we’ve had cardio related things in like four classes instead of one, it’s helped me retain things better from repition and being able to connect things.

I think there are pros and cons to both set-ups, but you’ll have to learn to adjust to vet school either way, and you’ll adjust to the curriculum style, too 🙂
 
Grew up near fort Collins, but went to college in Chicago. I may have a skewed view vs someone who hasn't lived in a large metro, but fort Collins is ridiculously safe in my opinion. Edit: I don't think Chicago is that bad and have lived in some sketchy parts

Also disclaimer that may disqualify my opinion: haven't lived in CO for 12 years.

Also currently living about 25 minutes from East Lansing Michigan and it seems nice, though Lansing is a titch rough... But again not really that bad imo.
Okemos and Haslett are also very nice.


Thank you, if I apply to WICHE and get it approved, either CSU or WSU would qualify as in state for me. But I'd like to move somewhere new, since I am still with my parents and my college is 20 minutes away from home. xD
 
.

Just my two cents, but we have an intergrated curriculum as well, and I’ve found it helpful. First year was basically the “normal” with general prcocesses of how things can go wrong. Second year has been abnormal and specific diseases, etc. Third year is basically abnormal again, but now focusing on how to treat it. I’ve really liked dividing things up this way, because even though it’s meant we’ve had cardio related things in like four classes instead of one, it’s helped me retain things better from repition and being able to connect things.

I think there are pros and cons to both set-ups, but you’ll have to learn to adjust to vet school either way, and you’ll adjust to the curriculum style, too 🙂
I agree with this, I'm a very "big picture" person and it helps to learn about lots of things at once because I feel like I'm better able to see things within their respective contexts. I'm sure I wouldn't have issues with doing this if I was learning things system by system, but I think it's been fairly helpful so far.

I think it's also important to remember that each system certainly has elements of the other within it - for example, I think it's very hard to avoid discussing the pathology of only one particular body system at some point in your training (e.g. renal pathology) much in the same way it's difficult to avoid discussing the effect it may have on other systems (e.g.....renal pathology 😛).

These things are all parts just as much as they are wholes, and I think you will get a lot of discussion of them as both at any veterinary school regardless of whether you predominantly learned about them as one or the other for most of your training.
 
I've done the research on all the pre-reqs needed and am in the process of finishing the few I have left, graduating in 2020. The reason I picked the colleges with the specialties I am interested in, is to not have to move to another state to do that specialty. But if it's something I will have to do, I will when it's time. Hope that makes sense.. Did not mean to annoy either of you. I should have been more specific with the pre-reqs in my original post. The cost is something I am discussing with my parents/faculty from my current college, both parties want me to do the best I can and to apply to at least 6 vet schools. I've been saving in order to apply, have financial aid and will be applying again once I am in vet school (same for scholarships or any other aid available). My college has no experience on anything pre-vet & out of my entire family, I'm the only one going to grad school/getting bachelor's, so I've done the research myself and have been asking questions through this database to get more help. Please let me know if my questions can be more specific in future posts.
Another thing about specializing is that you aren’t guaranteed to get a residency or internship at whatever school you go to for vet school. Most people go elsewhere for internships and there are even some schools who DON’T take their own students. (Don’t ask me which because I don’t know)
So don’t base your decision on where you’d like to do a residency or internship. Base it a lot on cost and go to the cheapest school you can, ESPECIALLY since you want to specialize, which generally is a few years of **** pay while trying to live and your loans are growing even higher. Cost should be the most important factor so you are drowning in a smaller pool versus a big lake of debt. Yeah, you may have to move for residency, but a lot of people do. In fact, a lot of people who specialize DON’T do their residency or internships at a CVM, simply because there are not very many of schools and spaces but there are more places who offer internships and residencies.
 
Thank you, if I apply to WICHE and get it approved, either CSU or WSU would qualify as in state for me. But I'd like to move somewhere new, since I am still with my parents and my college is 20 minutes away from home. xD
Even if it means living down the street from your parents,
E127901A-77FA-49C6-B9CC-2BD1700F81DC.gif

YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF LATER WHEN YOU HAVE HALF THE DEBT AS IF YOU WENT OOS TO A VERY EXPENSIVE SCHOOL.
 
I'm trying to choose between going to Midwestern or applying next cycle. The main thing holding me back is the cost of Midwestern and moving from PA to Arizona. I'm also a Pennsylvania resident and UPenn isn't the cheapest option either, but I would plan on applying to more schools with lower tuition. Penn is by no means my first choice since they only accept 40 PA residents and in most cases it is cheaper to go out of state. So I'm looking for some thoughts on if should I go to Midwestern because I got in and not risk not getting to a school next year? OR say no to Midwestern bc of the cost and apply next cycle but potentially go to Penn if I got in with it still being expensive?
 
Hi everyone, I've picked a few schools with potential specialties I am interested in, but was wondering what the safety is like in each area? If there's a lot of crime, poverty, what places to avoid. I live in a suburban/urban area.

I know that there's crime anywhere you go but it would be be helpful to get more of an idea.


CSU - Fort Collins
Cornell - Ithaca
MSU - E. Lansing
UGA - Athens
UTK - Knoxville
*Ontario Vet College
WSU - Pullman
Tx A&M - College Station

College Station is very safe. I've lived here for about a year now. However, parts of Bryan can be sketchy.
 
  • Like
Reactions: OP8
I'm trying to choose between going to Midwestern or applying next cycle. The main thing holding me back is the cost of Midwestern and moving from PA to Arizona. I'm also a Pennsylvania resident and UPenn isn't the cheapest option either, but I would plan on applying to more schools with lower tuition. Penn is by no means my first choice since they only accept 40 PA residents and in most cases it is cheaper to go out of state. So I'm looking for some thoughts on if should I go to Midwestern because I got in and not risk not getting to a school next year? OR say no to Midwestern bc of the cost and apply next cycle but potentially go to Penn if I got in with it still being expensive?
Have you done file reviews with the schools that rejected you? What makes you think you would be a more successful applicant in the next cycle? What have you done to improve your application? I think if you pass up Midwestern, you need to be sure you have a much stronger application for next cycle, since it's not likely that Midwestern would accept you again.
 
Have you done file reviews with the schools that rejected you? What makes you think you would be a more successful applicant in the next cycle? What have you done to improve your application? I think if you pass up Midwestern, you need to be sure you have a much stronger application for next cycle, since it's not likely that Midwestern would accept you again.

I did a file review with Virginia Tech last month (after being on their interview wait list and then rejected). I was told overall my application was good and that I was in the top 10 on the interview wait list but only 5 people declined interviews this year. The only thing I was told to improve was to get more community service or volunteer hours. I have a file review set up in May for Auburn too. I think this cycle I did not apply to the right schools for me and my strengths because I was so focused on getting into VT. For improvements I already started volunteering more at our local animal shelter to get those volunteer hours. After I graduate I plan on going home and working for my dog's vet as an assistant and volunteering at a local dairy to get more large animal experience.

If I applied again I would not apply to Midwestern. My parents would rather me go to Midwestern now, but I'm already in wayy to much debt from undergrad and I would be taking out more loans not them. Thanks for responding to me and all your advice I really appreciate it! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I’m having a very hard time deciding if I should go to Purdue (OOS) or Cornell (OOS) Both are excellent schools, but the difference in cost would be $8000/year on tuition alone.
I definitely want to open up as many doors as possible because I would like to pursue an internship and a residency eventually. I feel like Cornell would provide an excellent opportunity for me to network (plus their much newer teaching hospital!!) However, in the case that I decide against a residency, Cornell’s starting salary as a fresh grad is also higher (from their website). What should I do?

Does where you graduate (on top of your grades) matter when it comes to getting an internship and residency?
 
I’m having a very hard time deciding if I should go to Purdue (OOS) or Cornell (OOS) Both are excellent schools, but the difference in cost would be $8000/year on tuition alone.
I definitely want to open up as many doors as possible because I would like to pursue an internship and a residency eventually. I feel like Cornell would provide an excellent opportunity for me to network (plus their much newer teaching hospital!!) However, in the case that I decide against a residency, Cornell’s starting salary as a fresh grad is also higher (from their website). What should I do?

Does where you graduate (on top of your grades) matter when it comes to getting an internship and residency?
B8AE759F-E664-4A55-8B13-66C36DF62CC5.gif

Seriously. You’ll thank yourself when you’re in 32 THOUSAND dollars less debt PLUS INTEREST.
 
I’m having a very hard time deciding if I should go to Purdue (OOS) or Cornell (OOS) Both are excellent schools, but the difference in cost would be $8000/year on tuition alone.
I definitely want to open up as many doors as possible because I would like to pursue an internship and a residency eventually. I feel like Cornell would provide an excellent opportunity for me to network (plus their much newer teaching hospital!!) However, in the case that I decide against a residency, Cornell’s starting salary as a fresh grad is also higher (from their website). What should I do?

Does where you graduate (on top of your grades) matter when it comes to getting an internship and residency?
I don’t think the new grads starting salary is higher because they went to Cornell. It’s likely to do with where those students end up in practice, which if it’s in NY, I can see that being higher than someone staying in the Midwest.

Networking is up to you, and you’ll find opportunities no matter what school you go to. Look at the overall CoA, and then do what ski said. Even if you end up doing an internship, minimizing your loans as much as possible is going to be the best option.
 
I’m having a very hard time deciding if I should go to Purdue (OOS) or Cornell (OOS) Both are excellent schools, but the difference in cost would be $8000/year on tuition alone.
I definitely want to open up as many doors as possible because I would like to pursue an internship and a residency eventually. I feel like Cornell would provide an excellent opportunity for me to network (plus their much newer teaching hospital!!) However, in the case that I decide against a residency, Cornell’s starting salary as a fresh grad is also higher (from their website). What should I do?

Does where you graduate (on top of your grades) matter when it comes to getting an internship and residency?

Whatever advantages would be present for you by going to Cornell rather than Purdue will PALLOR in comparison to not owing that extra money when you are done and working. I promise promise promise promise promise. You make your opportunities wherever you go - I'm confident that you can pursue whatever internship/residency you desire if you do well in vet school at Purdue, just the same as anywhere else.
 
I’m having a very hard time deciding if I should go to Purdue (OOS) or Cornell (OOS) Both are excellent schools, but the difference in cost would be $8000/year on tuition alone.
I definitely want to open up as many doors as possible because I would like to pursue an internship and a residency eventually. I feel like Cornell would provide an excellent opportunity for me to network (plus their much newer teaching hospital!!) However, in the case that I decide against a residency, Cornell’s starting salary as a fresh grad is also higher (from their website). What should I do?

Does where you graduate (on top of your grades) matter when it comes to getting an internship and residency?
Every vet school should provide an excellent opportunity to network. It's up to you to make those connections.

Cornell's starting salaries may be higher because 1) less people decided to do internships 2) more people decided to work on the east coast (and higher costs of living typically result in higher starting salaries). I doubt it has anything at all to do with them being "Cornell grads" vs. Purdue grads.

At my residency program, the school the applicant graduated from did not matter at all when decided who we were interviewing/ranking. I can't imagine it matters to anyone else either (other than if the people reading the applications graduated from the same school, but that's more of a "hey I went there too!" thing rather than a "oh that's a better school, lets hire her" thing). The only thing that mattered was that the school was accredited.

I'm with Ski on this one, go to the cheaper school.