1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Factors when picking a school

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by whyrightmeow, Nov 18, 2008.

1. stesavi

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi everyone! I’m looking for some help with deciding between two schools. I’ve been accepted to Oklahoma State (OOS) and St. George’s, and waitlisted at a couple other schools, but I’ll consider those when the time comes if I get accepted. I’ve been reading through this forum and I understand that cost should be my number one consideration. From the information that I have received from the schools, OSU’s fall 2018 tuition and fees would be $23,840 and SGU’s would be $15,540. Originally, SGU was my backup school and I would have been very happy to attend had it been my only choice. However, after seeing the tuition difference between the schools, I'm now on the fence. I know that the COL and travel expenses are more expensive at SGU, and then I would also have to move again after three years. VIN estimated that the cost of SGU after four years would be almost $6k greater than OSU, but I know that COL can be manipulated, and the numbers don't totally match up to what the schools gave me.

My list of Pros for OSU: older program, offers much more electives (from what I found online), familiarity of the US, can drive my car there and bring most of my things from home, small class size, cheaper housing, more scholarship opportunities, and a higher pass rate on the NAVLE last year.

Pros for SGU: I know vets who graduated from there and are successful (I don’t know anyone who graduated from OSU), I live in Florida and have family who live a couple islands away from Grenada, so island life wouldn’t be too difficult to adjust to, study breaks on the beach, opportunity to choose where I want to do my rotations.

I know either school will result in me being a doctor, but with all things considered, is it worth moving to the island for a lower tuition? And if anyone at either school has opinions on the matter I'd love to hear them too! Thank you in advance!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. lvet

I’m seriously wondering about SGU tuition. My letter also said this which I get doesn’t include all the fees etc, but seems way lower than what is online...

4. Skimble

Skimble With Beans
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    My understanding is that going to any island school is likely going to cost you more vs a main land school, no matter how you try to minimize COL. I've also been told that there isn't great medical care on the island, so if you get sick, you will be flying back to the states, which is not only expensive, but also detrimental to your education. There is also the stress of island life in general. Penn takes a few transfers from Ross every year, and the transfers in my class all say they couldn't be happier to get off the island. Personally, I believe you will be better off going to OSU. Just because you don't personally know any Dr's who graduated from there, doesn't mean there aren't tons of very successful OSU grads (meaning I wouldn't necessarily list that as a pro or a con for either school).

SkiOtter likes this.
  5. dogmom9

Pre-Veterinary
    I worked for a doctor that went to an island school, from what I have heard generally it is not safe either, outside of the campus and the resort areas. From reading online it says SGU's tuition and fees per term is actually 18,949 for pre-clinical

6. sosuperspam

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am currently split between Iowa and Purdue. Unfortunately I will be OOS for both schools and was wondering if anyone has any insights about the two schools? I am currently leaning towards Purdue due to lower OOS tuition and I really enjoyed the "feel" of the school when I interviewed. However, I don't want to base my decision solely on these two factors considering I didn't get to visit Iowa. My current interests are small animal oncology / emergency but I am definitely open to exploring more in the next few years. Thank you! :)

7. genny

genny Cat not wolf
    Veterinarian 5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    I went to ISU. They have a great oncology program, and they’re working on getting stereotactic radiation within the next year. That being said, go with the cheaper option. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about ISU.

8. stesavi

Pre-Veterinary
    I hadn't thought of the medical care so thanks for pointing that out! I know medical care on the island where my family lives isn't great but I figured it wouldn't be too bad at St. George's since they also have a medical school, so I would hope those students have good clinicians to learn from. You're right I shouldn't have a pro/con based on doctors I know, I just have exposure to a lot of vets and haven't met a single one from OSU, so it was just reassuring to talk with those from SGU and see where they are now. Thanks for your help!

9. JaynaAli

JaynaAli Need it STAT or want it STAT? They're different.
    Veterinarian Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Veterinarian
    There are at least two regulars on here who are vets that graduated from OkSU, and I'm sure they'd be happy to talk about their experiences. At every school, within every class, there will be some great doctors, many adequate doctors, and likely a very small number of doctors who don't meet the standards. I have been in multiple geographical regions now at a couple of institutions, taught students both from US-based schools and the islands, and this has been consistent. The school truly doesn't matter all that much, and a lot of vet school is what you make it.

stesavi likes this.
  10. stesavi

Pre-Veterinary
    It was recommended to me that students should stay in the tourist areas for safety or on campus, so I would intend to stay as safe as possible if I were to attend. Any place can be dangerous if you're not careful, but I'm definitely more wary of island life.
    I saw that number online as well, but the $15k was what they sent to me in the mail with my acceptance packet, so that's why I quoted that number. I imagine there are some fees missing though because it was surprisingly lower than I thought when I applied. I'll have to ask them about that. Thank you for taking the time to reply!

dogmom9 likes this.
  11. greeneyegal92

greeneyegal92 c/o 2022!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Well I'm at a stand still. I've never had choices before so this is throwing me for a loop. I'm trying to decide between Minnesota and MSU both OOS. I'm interested in small animal oncology and occasionally dabbling in wildlife. If anyone has anything to weigh in please share your knowledge with me ;)

SkiOtter likes this.
  12. OP8

OP8

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi all, hopefully I get a response here since it seems the last posts were in 2008. I'm looking for the Factors when picking a vet school google docs that I found a year ago, but it says it's no longer available? Please let me know if it was deleted for sure or if someone could link it for me, I would highly appreciate it. I was referring to that document to let me pick schools based on what I prefer from the environment of the school and the area. Also if they require a laptop, this was a huge no for me.

13. WildZoo

WildZoo Illegal in all 50
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Not sure what happened to the google doc (@Elkhart ? ) but the original document is in this post. Hasn't been updated in a bit.

If you click on the arrow next to bats's name it'll take you to the post where the doc is attached

batsenecal likes this.
  14. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    C7CB148B-0FBA-421D-98D7-B3993C8AF7F2.gif
    Thanks, @hygebeorht

Teepster87, hygebeorht and AUvsAM like this.
  15. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    8 grand could be a new car. 8 grand could be part of a down payment on a house. 8 grand could be furniture for a house or apartment. 8 grand could be used for a lot of things. 8 grand will multiply with the interest. Saving eight thousand dollars and going to your in state for four years sounds like a better deal imo.

16. greeneyegal92

greeneyegal92 c/o 2022!!
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    SkiOtter likes this.
  17. Ashgirl

Ashgirl Pokemon Academy c/o 2018!
    5+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Not an expert in equine opportunities by any means, but just general advice for the part of your post that I bolded- The school you go to does not necessarily mean you will be able to complete a residency there. In fact, several schools even refuse to take their own students (mostly for internships, but still). As stated elsewhere in this site, what makes you a good candidate for an internship/residency is less on your school, but more on grades, connections, experience/opportunities in that field (which you would be able to find at both schools), and letters of recommendation.

vetmedhead, SkiOtter and AUvsAM like this.
  18. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Flip a coin. Heads is A&M, tails is Auburn. Dead serious.
    If you’re sad about the outcome, go to the other school. If you’re excited, well theres your choice.

19. dogbones

Pre-Veterinary
    Coming from someone who just made this same decision (equally priced schools with differing curriculums and locations), I think you should definitely consider the value of having your support system close to you during school. Vet school has the potential to stress you and your relationship on an entirely new level. Having the people you love close by could make a world of a difference in the long run, both in terms of your personal life and how well you function and thrive at school. There may even be opportunities to visit Auburn through externship programs, etc. Just something to keep in mind!

AUvsAM likes this.
  20. genny

genny Cat not wolf

Veterinarian
    Vet school can be pretty hard on relationships. I know a lot of people who came in with what they thought were rock solid relationships, and graduated single. What happens if you pick A&M and you break up with your boyfriend? Would you still want to be at that school?

AUvsAM, batsenecal and SkiOtter like this.
  21. OP8

OP8

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi everyone, I've picked a few schools with potential specialties I am interested in, but was wondering what the safety is like in each area? If there's a lot of crime, poverty, what places to avoid. I live in a suburban/urban area.

I know that there's crime anywhere you go but it would be be helpful to get more of an idea.

CSU - Fort Collins
    Cornell - Ithaca
    MSU - E. Lansing
    UGA - Athens
    UTK - Knoxville
    *Ontario Vet College
    WSU - Pullman
    Tx A&M - College Station

#1170 OP8, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  22. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Lol

finnickthedog likes this.
  23. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    For reference,

28863881-6663-4198-848F-95510EC20A6A.jpeg

flameshock likes this.
  24. OP8

OP8

Pre-Veterinary
    Did I write it incorrectly?

25. OP8

OP8

Pre-Veterinary
    xD thank you, I've never been there but would like to attend school if it's a possibility.

26. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    U Guelph is in the city of Guelph which is a bit west of Toronto (closer to Kitchener on that map) in the province of Ontario haha

OP8 likes this.
  27. OP8

OP8

Pre-Veterinary
    Appreciate this, thank you!

28. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Couldn’t tell you anything about the safety though :laugh:

OP8 likes this.
  29. Skimble

Skimble With Beans
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I was in Guelph once for like an hour. The part I was in looked really nice and seemed pretty safe.

OP8 likes this.
  30. finnickthedog

finnickthedog Michigan State c/o 2021
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Yeah, I don't leave my house much except to go to school so I can't tell you much about what the area is like or where to avoid. I'm sure there are probably better and worse places in the area. For whatever it's worth, I don't live too far from the school and feel pretty safe where I live despite my rampant anxiety. :p

Caiter92, OP8 and SkiOtter like this.
  31. Caiter92

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I think the way they divide up classes is probably less of an issue than you think. With a school like Illinois where you have massive tests and only one grade instead of one for each class or Davis where you go through each system in blocks—I think that’s a big thing to take into consideration. But you’re going to be learning pretty much the same info at basically every AVMA accredited Vet school, just maybe in a different order. I wouldn’t put a ton of weight in how they’re diving up material if that’s your main concern with the curriculum.

batsenecal, AUvsAM and Coopah like this.
  32. kcoughli

kcoughli Lab Animal Resident

Veterinarian
    To not answer your question at all, there are a few things that should be higher priority than what specialties they've got going on. You can join any veterinary specialty graduating from any vet school. I'd recommend focusing more on the cost, where you have better chances of getting in (what are they looking for and do you have it?), the cost, what pre-reqs do they require and have you taken them, and the cost to name a few. And then don't apply anywhere you don't intend to go should they be your only acceptance.

To help with your actual question I was in Fort Collins once for a day and it felt very nice/safe. No idea about the rest of the places.

SkiOtter and Caiter92 like this.
  33. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Thank you bc I was too lazy to actually type this all out

kcoughli likes this.
  34. StayingPositive2017

StayingPositive2017 Michigan State CVM c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    Grew up near fort Collins, but went to college in Chicago. I may have a skewed view vs someone who hasn't lived in a large metro, but fort Collins is ridiculously safe in my opinion. Edit: I don't think Chicago is that bad and have lived in some sketchy parts

Also disclaimer that may disqualify my opinion: haven't lived in CO for 12 years.

Also currently living about 25 minutes from East Lansing Michigan and it seems nice, though Lansing is a titch rough... But again not really that bad imo.
    Okemos and Haslett are also very nice.

35. vetmedhead

vetmedhead Piggy Bank of Obsolete Currency
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Live in FoCo now and it's ridiculously safe. Not to mention, the campus warning system is pretty on top of it and they'll text us about any incidents happening off campus (in areas with a high percentage of student renters) so we know not to head over there for the time being.

batsenecal likes this.
  36. Caiter92

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student

Just my two cents, but we have an intergrated curriculum as well, and I’ve found it helpful. First year was basically the “normal” with general prcocesses of how things can go wrong. Second year has been abnormal and specific diseases, etc. Third year is basically abnormal again, but now focusing on how to treat it. I’ve really liked dividing things up this way, because even though it’s meant we’ve had cardio related things in like four classes instead of one, it’s helped me retain things better from repition and being able to connect things.

I think there are pros and cons to both set-ups, but you’ll have to learn to adjust to vet school either way, and you’ll adjust to the curriculum style, too :)

RedLauren and AUvsAM like this.
  37. OP8

OP8

Pre-Veterinary

Thank you, if I apply to WICHE and get it approved, either CSU or WSU would qualify as in state for me. But I'd like to move somewhere new, since I am still with my parents and my college is 20 minutes away from home. xD

38. vetmedhead

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    I agree with this, I'm a very "big picture" person and it helps to learn about lots of things at once because I feel like I'm better able to see things within their respective contexts. I'm sure I wouldn't have issues with doing this if I was learning things system by system, but I think it's been fairly helpful so far.

I think it's also important to remember that each system certainly has elements of the other within it - for example, I think it's very hard to avoid discussing the pathology of only one particular body system at some point in your training (e.g. renal pathology) much in the same way it's difficult to avoid discussing the effect it may have on other systems (e.g.....renal pathology :p).

These things are all parts just as much as they are wholes, and I think you will get a lot of discussion of them as both at any veterinary school regardless of whether you predominantly learned about them as one or the other for most of your training.

Caiter92 and AUvsAM like this.
  39. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Another thing about specializing is that you aren’t guaranteed to get a residency or internship at whatever school you go to for vet school. Most people go elsewhere for internships and there are even some schools who DON’T take their own students. (Don’t ask me which because I don’t know)
    So don’t base your decision on where you’d like to do a residency or internship. Base it a lot on cost and go to the cheapest school you can, ESPECIALLY since you want to specialize, which generally is a few years of **** pay while trying to live and your loans are growing even higher. Cost should be the most important factor so you are drowning in a smaller pool versus a big lake of debt. Yeah, you may have to move for residency, but a lot of people do. In fact, a lot of people who specialize DON’T do their residency or internships at a CVM, simply because there are not very many of schools and spaces but there are more places who offer internships and residencies.

kcoughli, batsenecal and LyraGardenia like this.
  40. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Even if it means living down the street from your parents,
    E127901A-77FA-49C6-B9CC-2BD1700F81DC.gif
    YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF LATER WHEN YOU HAVE HALF THE DEBT AS IF YOU WENT OOS TO A VERY EXPENSIVE SCHOOL.

kcoughli and OP8 like this.
  41. vetmedhead

2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Ski did you make this gif yourself

42. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    No you can thank @hygebeorht for it
    I am to lazy to make a gif myself

43. hygebeorht

hygebeorht radiology is best ology

Veterinarian
    Yeah, I got tired of typing the words out, and I thought a snazzy gif would be fun, so I made one.

Feel free to use it whenever, y'all. I know I will.

Teepster87 and SkiOtter like this.
  44. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Oh I definitely will be using it. I’ve used it twice already I think :laugh:

45. teddydash

Pre-Veterinary
    I'm trying to choose between going to Midwestern or applying next cycle. The main thing holding me back is the cost of Midwestern and moving from PA to Arizona. I'm also a Pennsylvania resident and UPenn isn't the cheapest option either, but I would plan on applying to more schools with lower tuition. Penn is by no means my first choice since they only accept 40 PA residents and in most cases it is cheaper to go out of state. So I'm looking for some thoughts on if should I go to Midwestern because I got in and not risk not getting to a school next year? OR say no to Midwestern bc of the cost and apply next cycle but potentially go to Penn if I got in with it still being expensive?

46. RedLauren

RedLauren CSU CVMBS c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    Its like that episode of friends when Phoebe lied to Rachel about the results of Rachel's pregnancy test so she could see how she really felt about it.

M&D and SkiOtter like this.
  47. RedLauren

RedLauren CSU CVMBS c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Veterinary Student
    College Station is very safe. I've lived here for about a year now. However, parts of Bryan can be sketchy.

OP8 likes this.
  48. genny

genny Cat not wolf

Veterinarian
    Have you done file reviews with the schools that rejected you? What makes you think you would be a more successful applicant in the next cycle? What have you done to improve your application? I think if you pass up Midwestern, you need to be sure you have a much stronger application for next cycle, since it's not likely that Midwestern would accept you again.

batsenecal, SkiOtter and RedLauren like this.
  49. teddydash

Pre-Veterinary
    I did a file review with Virginia Tech last month (after being on their interview wait list and then rejected). I was told overall my application was good and that I was in the top 10 on the interview wait list but only 5 people declined interviews this year. The only thing I was told to improve was to get more community service or volunteer hours. I have a file review set up in May for Auburn too. I think this cycle I did not apply to the right schools for me and my strengths because I was so focused on getting into VT. For improvements I already started volunteering more at our local animal shelter to get those volunteer hours. After I graduate I plan on going home and working for my dog's vet as an assistant and volunteering at a local dairy to get more large animal experience.

If I applied again I would not apply to Midwestern. My parents would rather me go to Midwestern now, but I'm already in wayy to much debt from undergrad and I would be taking out more loans not them. Thanks for responding to me and all your advice I really appreciate it! :)

50. sosuperspam

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I’m having a very hard time deciding if I should go to Purdue (OOS) or Cornell (OOS) Both are excellent schools, but the difference in cost would be $8000/year on tuition alone.
    I definitely want to open up as many doors as possible because I would like to pursue an internship and a residency eventually. I feel like Cornell would provide an excellent opportunity for me to network (plus their much newer teaching hospital!!) However, in the case that I decide against a residency, Cornell’s starting salary as a fresh grad is also higher (from their website). What should I do?

Does where you graduate (on top of your grades) matter when it comes to getting an internship and residency?

51. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    B8AE759F-E664-4A55-8B13-66C36DF62CC5.gif
    Seriously. You’ll thank yourself when you’re in 32 THOUSAND dollars less debt PLUS INTEREST.