Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Factors when picking a school

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by whyrightmeow, Nov 18, 2008.

1. migc

migc LSU c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    Thank you, I’ve been thinking the same thing. Just hard to turn down an offer from the school I always pictured myself at!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Skimble

Skimble With Beans
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Veterinary Student
    They are both great schools, but I personally think you will be happier at the school that allows you to see family more frequently. There will be things you would love about each school, and things you would hate about both. In the end I don't think you will regret giving up on that school just because it's where you pictured yourself.

staff_wielder likes this.
  4. migc

migc LSU c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    I don’t think I will regret it in the long run. It’s just weird having to make such a tough decision because I honestly thought I would be lucky to just be accepted at one school. But it’s a good problem to have!

5. ziggyandjazzy

ziggyandjazzy Oregon State c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    How far away are the schools from your family/bf? I might be a different opinion here but if one school is 6 hours away vs 8 hours for another, I doubt that means you will actually get to go home and visit that much more frequently. If it's like an hour vs 3 hours than that could be significant. But, if they are both 5+ hours away, it will be difficult to visit home no matter what. Honestly, it sounds like you really want to go to LSU and I would reflect on that. Make this decision for yourself and what would make you happy! Sometimes it is easy to get caught up pleasing others when your own feelings are just as/more important!

labrat9 likes this.
  6. migc

migc LSU c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    Wow that’s weird they are actually 6 and 8 hours away haha. It is definitely easy to get caught up trying to please others, but being closer to home would be something I would be doing for myself! Also, Mizzou has 8 week blocks so you essentially get a free weekend between blocks that I would use to go home and see my fam. It’s definitely a tough decision because there are things I love and hate about both schools. I’m trying to take the approach of not thinking about it too much and just trying to see which school I lean more towards naturally. Thanks for your advice!! :)

kjl3e likes this.
  7. stesavi

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi everyone! I’m looking for some help with deciding between two schools. I’ve been accepted to Oklahoma State (OOS) and St. George’s, and waitlisted at a couple other schools, but I’ll consider those when the time comes if I get accepted. I’ve been reading through this forum and I understand that cost should be my number one consideration. From the information that I have received from the schools, OSU’s fall 2018 tuition and fees would be $23,840 and SGU’s would be $15,540. Originally, SGU was my backup school and I would have been very happy to attend had it been my only choice. However, after seeing the tuition difference between the schools, I'm now on the fence. I know that the COL and travel expenses are more expensive at SGU, and then I would also have to move again after three years. VIN estimated that the cost of SGU after four years would be almost $6k greater than OSU, but I know that COL can be manipulated, and the numbers don't totally match up to what the schools gave me.

My list of Pros for OSU: older program, offers much more electives (from what I found online), familiarity of the US, can drive my car there and bring most of my things from home, small class size, cheaper housing, more scholarship opportunities, and a higher pass rate on the NAVLE last year.

Pros for SGU: I know vets who graduated from there and are successful (I don’t know anyone who graduated from OSU), I live in Florida and have family who live a couple islands away from Grenada, so island life wouldn’t be too difficult to adjust to, study breaks on the beach, opportunity to choose where I want to do my rotations.

I know either school will result in me being a doctor, but with all things considered, is it worth moving to the island for a lower tuition? And if anyone at either school has opinions on the matter I'd love to hear them too! Thank you in advance!

8. lvet

I’m seriously wondering about SGU tuition. My letter also said this which I get doesn’t include all the fees etc, but seems way lower than what is online...

9. Skimble

Skimble With Beans

Veterinary Student
    My understanding is that going to any island school is likely going to cost you more vs a main land school, no matter how you try to minimize COL. I've also been told that there isn't great medical care on the island, so if you get sick, you will be flying back to the states, which is not only expensive, but also detrimental to your education. There is also the stress of island life in general. Penn takes a few transfers from Ross every year, and the transfers in my class all say they couldn't be happier to get off the island. Personally, I believe you will be better off going to OSU. Just because you don't personally know any Dr's who graduated from there, doesn't mean there aren't tons of very successful OSU grads (meaning I wouldn't necessarily list that as a pro or a con for either school).

SkiOtter likes this.
  10. dogmom9

Pre-Veterinary
    I worked for a doctor that went to an island school, from what I have heard generally it is not safe either, outside of the campus and the resort areas. From reading online it says SGU's tuition and fees per term is actually 18,949 for pre-clinical

11. sosuperspam

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I am currently split between Iowa and Purdue. Unfortunately I will be OOS for both schools and was wondering if anyone has any insights about the two schools? I am currently leaning towards Purdue due to lower OOS tuition and I really enjoyed the "feel" of the school when I interviewed. However, I don't want to base my decision solely on these two factors considering I didn't get to visit Iowa. My current interests are small animal oncology / emergency but I am definitely open to exploring more in the next few years. Thank you! :)

12. genny

genny Black cats are the best cats.
    Veterinarian

Veterinarian
    I went to ISU. They have a great oncology program, and they’re working on getting stereotactic radiation within the next year. That being said, go with the cheaper option. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about ISU.

13. stesavi

Pre-Veterinary
    I hadn't thought of the medical care so thanks for pointing that out! I know medical care on the island where my family lives isn't great but I figured it wouldn't be too bad at St. George's since they also have a medical school, so I would hope those students have good clinicians to learn from. You're right I shouldn't have a pro/con based on doctors I know, I just have exposure to a lot of vets and haven't met a single one from OSU, so it was just reassuring to talk with those from SGU and see where they are now. Thanks for your help!

14. JaynaAli

JaynaAli Need it STAT or want it STAT? They're different.
    Veterinarian Classifieds Approved

Veterinarian
    There are at least two regulars on here who are vets that graduated from OkSU, and I'm sure they'd be happy to talk about their experiences. At every school, within every class, there will be some great doctors, many adequate doctors, and likely a very small number of doctors who don't meet the standards. I have been in multiple geographical regions now at a couple of institutions, taught students both from US-based schools and the islands, and this has been consistent. The school truly doesn't matter all that much, and a lot of vet school is what you make it.

stesavi likes this.
  15. stesavi

Pre-Veterinary
    It was recommended to me that students should stay in the tourist areas for safety or on campus, so I would intend to stay as safe as possible if I were to attend. Any place can be dangerous if you're not careful, but I'm definitely more wary of island life.
    I saw that number online as well, but the $15k was what they sent to me in the mail with my acceptance packet, so that's why I quoted that number. I imagine there are some fees missing though because it was surprisingly lower than I thought when I applied. I'll have to ask them about that. Thank you for taking the time to reply!

dogmom9 likes this.
  16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. greeneyegal92

greeneyegal92 c/o 2022!!

Pre-Veterinary
    Well I'm at a stand still. I've never had choices before so this is throwing me for a loop. I'm trying to decide between Minnesota and MSU both OOS. I'm interested in small animal oncology and occasionally dabbling in wildlife. If anyone has anything to weigh in please share your knowledge with me ;)

SkiOtter likes this.
  18. OP8

OP8

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi all, hopefully I get a response here since it seems the last posts were in 2008. I'm looking for the Factors when picking a vet school google docs that I found a year ago, but it says it's no longer available? Please let me know if it was deleted for sure or if someone could link it for me, I would highly appreciate it. I was referring to that document to let me pick schools based on what I prefer from the environment of the school and the area. Also if they require a laptop, this was a huge no for me.

19. WildZoo

WildZoo Illegal in all 50
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Veterinary Student
    Not sure what happened to the google doc (@Elkhart ? ) but the original document is in this post. Hasn't been updated in a bit.

If you click on the arrow next to bats's name it'll take you to the post where the doc is attached

batsenecal likes this.
  20. AUvsAM

Pre-Veterinary
    Hello everyone! I have a very difficult decision to make that I am hoping somebody here can help me with. I have already taken a seat at my in-state school, Auburn, but I just got off the OOS waitlist at Texas A&M, and they are offering me in-state tuition and a small scholarship provided I maintain a 3.0 GPA during vet school (I will be confirming all the details of this offer - I am not super concerned about maintaining this GPA because I have a history of very strong academic performance in the sciences (~3.8 in chemistry B.S.), but I acknowledge it is a factor to consider and don't want to seem cocky). I've done the math, and this makes the cost difference only about $8k (if anybody sees a bigger difference please let me know!) more at A&M.

I am currently trying to decide, based purely on my education and career for right now, which would be the better choice for my interests. Said interests are a little all over the place since I'm only a pre-vet right now, but I will try to condense them for the purpose of this post. I am pretty die-hard equine-focused but also would like to explore food animal at least a bit. I grew up in an extremely sports-horse-oriented area, so that is where most of my animal and veterinary experience is; also have some small animal, but my only significant food animal experience is dairy. I am planning on specializing, and my specific medical interests include surgery, infectious diseases, microbiology, and dermatology. I do recognize derm and surgery are extremely competitive, but I think I could be happy in just about any clinical specialty (especially equine), and I of course expect to change my mind a lot and find new interests in vet school.

Looking at just the curricula for the two schools, my initial preference is Auburn because of how specific their courses seem and how they seem to divide up the material a lot; that seems better for my learning style, but I don't know if I'm just being distracted by all the exciting-sounding class titles, lol. Auburn also seems like I would have just a hair more freedom with rotations - only like 1 or 2 more elective slots I can fill though, so not sure how significant that is.

The residencies at Auburn I would be interested in are Equine Emergency and Critical Care, Equine Internal Medicine, Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery, and Equine Theriogenology. At A&M, they have Equine Theriogenology, Large Animal Internal Medicine (can do up to 80% equine), and Large Animal Surgery (also primarily equine). Obviously all the equine-specific stuff at Auburn sounds super cool, but I'm wondering if an equine-focused LA residency would better prepare me for board certification and give me more career flexibility.

The most important non-academic factor is that I have a long-term boyfriend living 3 hours from College Station with whom I have been long-distance for 2 and a half years. He would try to move closer to me if I went to Auburn but that obviously depends on a lot of stuff since he has his own career to think about. He and I have both agreed that I should choose the school better for my education and career, and we will just try to make it work. However if there truly is zero difference, I would obviously like to be closer to him.

TL;DR:
    • Auburn vs A&M
    • pretty equal cost
    • primarily interested in equine but wondering if more food animal opportunities at A&M residencies would give me better career diversity
    • like Auburn's curriculum because of how they have a lot of specific classes instead of fewer general ones, seem to have a little more freedom to explore interests
    • closer to long-distance boyfriend at A&M

If anyone has ANY advice or knowledge about either school, I would really appreciate it, because I am really undecided right now! :shrug: I would especially appreciate insight from students/grads of either school, and from anyone with equine industry experience. Thank you so much!

(also, I cannot link to the curricula because this is a new account, so will try to attach pdfs!)
    Edit: forgot about the changes to A&M curriculum! attached that one as well

Attached Files:

#1168 AUvsAM, Apr 21, 2018 at 8:48 AM
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018 at 9:46 AM
  21. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    C7CB148B-0FBA-421D-98D7-B3993C8AF7F2.gif
    Thanks, @hygebeorht

Teepster87, hygebeorht and AUvsAM like this.
  22. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    8 grand could be a new car. 8 grand could be part of a down payment on a house. 8 grand could be furniture for a house or apartment. 8 grand could be used for a lot of things. 8 grand will multiply with the interest. Saving eight thousand dollars and going to your in state for four years sounds like a better deal imo.

23. greeneyegal92

greeneyegal92 c/o 2022!!

Pre-Veterinary
    SkiOtter likes this.
  24. AUvsAM

Pre-Veterinary
    I am very fortunate in that interest will probably not be an issue for me, so it really will likely just be 8 grand. I realize that is still a lot, and I am not entirely ruling out that cost difference yet. But I would just like to see which is purely the "better school" for me, or if there is zero difference, so I can factor that into my decision. I appreciate your reply!

Edit: I also have no undergrad debt (got a free ride) so that's a big part of why I'm not as worried about the finances. Promise I'm not totally naive, lol! I realize it's still 8 grand, and that's definitely still on my mind. I'm one of the lucky ducks whose parents are paying for vet school (the fund they are using can only be used for education and covers costs of either school, and I'm the last kid so otherwise they probably wouldn't use it), so that helps a ton.

SkiOtter likes this.
  25. Ashgirl

Ashgirl Pokemon Academy c/o 2018!

Veterinary Student
    Not an expert in equine opportunities by any means, but just general advice for the part of your post that I bolded- The school you go to does not necessarily mean you will be able to complete a residency there. In fact, several schools even refuse to take their own students (mostly for internships, but still). As stated elsewhere in this site, what makes you a good candidate for an internship/residency is less on your school, but more on grades, connections, experience/opportunities in that field (which you would be able to find at both schools), and letters of recommendation.

vetmedhead, SkiOtter and AUvsAM like this.
  26. AUvsAM

Pre-Veterinary
    I should have explained myself better - I know I wouldn't necessarily get into their residencies, but I was just thinking about how the differences would affect the kind of connections I could make. I guess looking at the hospital services and 4th year-rotations might be more effective for judging networking opportunities :) You bring up a very good point though - anyone happen to know if either Auburn or A&M are one of the schools that don't like to take their own grads for internship/residency?

Edit: Then again, as you say, it is entirely possible that there is equal opportunity at both schools and I'm just splitting hairs because I really don't want to make a decision :D

27. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    Flip a coin. Heads is A&M, tails is Auburn. Dead serious.
    If you’re sad about the outcome, go to the other school. If you’re excited, well theres your choice.

28. AUvsAM

Pre-Veterinary
    I appreciate the advice and think you're probably right :) I think what it really comes down to is I prefer Auburn's curriculum, but I wish I preferred A&M because I would have liked to semi-close the distance with my boyfriend :( it's probably smarter to pick the school that matches my learning style though

SkiOtter likes this.
  29. dogbones

Pre-Veterinary
    Coming from someone who just made this same decision (equally priced schools with differing curriculums and locations), I think you should definitely consider the value of having your support system close to you during school. Vet school has the potential to stress you and your relationship on an entirely new level. Having the people you love close by could make a world of a difference in the long run, both in terms of your personal life and how well you function and thrive at school. There may even be opportunities to visit Auburn through externship programs, etc. Just something to keep in mind!

AUvsAM likes this.
  30. AUvsAM

Pre-Veterinary
    Thank you very much! Would you mind if I asked how the curricula differed at your two schools, and which you ended up going with? Just curious! :)

31. genny

genny Black cats are the best cats.
    Veterinarian

Veterinarian
    Vet school can be pretty hard on relationships. I know a lot of people who came in with what they thought were rock solid relationships, and graduated single. What happens if you pick A&M and you break up with your boyfriend? Would you still want to be at that school?

AUvsAM, batsenecal and SkiOtter like this.
  32. OP8

OP8

Pre-Veterinary
    Hi everyone, I've picked a few schools with potential specialties I am interested in, but was wondering what the safety is like in each area? If there's a lot of crime, poverty, what places to avoid. I live in a suburban/urban area.

I know that there's crime anywhere you go but it would be be helpful to get more of an idea.

CSU - Fort Collins
    Cornell - Ithaca
    MSU - E. Lansing
    UGA - Athens
    UTK - Knoxville
    *Ontario Vet College
    WSU - Pullman
    Tx A&M - College Station

#1180 OP8, Apr 21, 2018 at 7:44 PM
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018 at 2:05 PM
  33. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    Lol

finnickthedog likes this.
  34. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    For reference,

28863881-6663-4198-848F-95510EC20A6A.jpeg

flameshock likes this.
  35. OP8

OP8

Pre-Veterinary
    Did I write it incorrectly?

36. OP8

OP8

Pre-Veterinary
    xD thank you, I've never been there but would like to attend school if it's a possibility.

37. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    U Guelph is in the city of Guelph which is a bit west of Toronto (closer to Kitchener on that map) in the province of Ontario haha

OP8 likes this.
  38. OP8

OP8

Pre-Veterinary
    Appreciate this, thank you!

39. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    Couldn’t tell you anything about the safety though :laugh:

OP8 likes this.
  40. Skimble

Skimble With Beans

Veterinary Student
    I was in Guelph once for like an hour. The part I was in looked really nice and seemed pretty safe.

OP8 likes this.
  41. finnickthedog

finnickthedog Michigan State c/o 2021

Veterinary Student
    Yeah, I don't leave my house much except to go to school so I can't tell you much about what the area is like or where to avoid. I'm sure there are probably better and worse places in the area. For whatever it's worth, I don't live too far from the school and feel pretty safe where I live despite my rampant anxiety. :p

Caiter92, OP8 and SkiOtter like this.
  42. AUvsAM

Pre-Veterinary
    I probably wouldn't mind still being at the school; it's still a great school and I have an older sister living in Houston who I would love to reconnect with, so that wouldn't concern me :) I just have concerns about the curriculum and whether it's as good of a fit for me as Auburn

43. Caiter92

Veterinary Student
    I think the way they divide up classes is probably less of an issue than you think. With a school like Illinois where you have massive tests and only one grade instead of one for each class or Davis where you go through each system in blocks—I think that’s a big thing to take into consideration. But you’re going to be learning pretty much the same info at basically every AVMA accredited Vet school, just maybe in a different order. I wouldn’t put a ton of weight in how they’re diving up material if that’s your main concern with the curriculum.

batsenecal, AUvsAM and Coopah like this.
  44. kcoughli

kcoughli Lab Animal Resident
    Veterinarian

Veterinarian
    To not answer your question at all, there are a few things that should be higher priority than what specialties they've got going on. You can join any veterinary specialty graduating from any vet school. I'd recommend focusing more on the cost, where you have better chances of getting in (what are they looking for and do you have it?), the cost, what pre-reqs do they require and have you taken them, and the cost to name a few. And then don't apply anywhere you don't intend to go should they be your only acceptance.

To help with your actual question I was in Fort Collins once for a day and it felt very nice/safe. No idea about the rest of the places.

SkiOtter and Caiter92 like this.
  45. SkiOtter

SkiOtter c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    Thank you bc I was too lazy to actually type this all out

kcoughli likes this.
  46. OP8

OP8

Pre-Veterinary
    I've done the research on all the pre-reqs needed and am in the process of finishing the few I have left, graduating in 2020. The reason I picked the colleges with the specialties I am interested in, is to not have to move to another state to do that specialty. But if it's something I will have to do, I will when it's time. Hope that makes sense.. Did not mean to annoy either of you. I should have been more specific with the pre-reqs in my original post. The cost is something I am discussing with my parents/faculty from my current college, both parties want me to do the best I can and to apply to at least 6 vet schools. I've been saving in order to apply, have financial aid and will be applying again once I am in vet school (same for scholarships or any other aid available). My college has no experience on anything pre-vet & out of my entire family, I'm the only one going to grad school/getting bachelor's, so I've done the research myself and have been asking questions through this database to get more help. Please let me know if my questions can be more specific in future posts.

47. AUvsAM

Pre-Veterinary
    Thank your for your reply! I think my main issue is that like, for example, Auburn has separate courses for each main body system, like a cardiovascular system course and a musculoskeletal system course, etc.. At A&M it looks like I'd be learning about bits and pieces of any one system in various sections of various courses (organ dysfunction, pathology, etc.) I wonder if I would do better with all the material of a specific subject like that being presented in one course, rather than spread out all over the place. Not saying an integrative curriculum isn't good, just don't know if it meshes with my individual learning style. Then again, I am probably being extremely picky :) and it looks like A&M's new curriculum might allow me to track according to my interests more than at Auburn, so 6 of one half a dozen of the other

Edit: Also fewer classes means fewer opportunities to make up for poor performance, and since I am that person who makes a 98 one week and a 42 the next, that makes me wary :) then again, bigger classes have more assignments and exams, so it probably evens out.

#1195 AUvsAM, Apr 22, 2018 at 1:57 PM
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018 at 2:08 PM
  48. StayingPositive2017

StayingPositive2017 Michigan State CVM c/o 2022

Pre-Veterinary
    Grew up near fort Collins, but went to college in Chicago. I may have a skewed view vs someone who hasn't lived in a large metro, but fort Collins is ridiculously safe in my opinion. Edit: I don't think Chicago is that bad and have lived in some sketchy parts

Also disclaimer that may disqualify my opinion: haven't lived in CO for 12 years.

Also currently living about 25 minutes from East Lansing Michigan and it seems nice, though Lansing is a titch rough... But again not really that bad imo.
    Okemos and Haslett are also very nice.

49. vetmedhead

vetmedhead Allied to the landslide

Veterinary Student
    Live in FoCo now and it's ridiculously safe. Not to mention, the campus warning system is pretty on top of it and they'll text us about any incidents happening off campus (in areas with a high percentage of student renters) so we know not to head over there for the time being.

batsenecal likes this.
  50. Caiter92

Veterinary Student

Just my two cents, but we have an intergrated curriculum as well, and I’ve found it helpful. First year was basically the “normal” with general prcocesses of how things can go wrong. Second year has been abnormal and specific diseases, etc. Third year is basically abnormal again, but now focusing on how to treat it. I’ve really liked dividing things up this way, because even though it’s meant we’ve had cardio related things in like four classes instead of one, it’s helped me retain things better from repition and being able to connect things.

I think there are pros and cons to both set-ups, but you’ll have to learn to adjust to vet school either way, and you’ll adjust to the curriculum style, too :)

RedLauren and AUvsAM like this.
  51. OP8

OP8

Pre-Veterinary

Thank you, if I apply to WICHE and get it approved, either CSU or WSU would qualify as in state for me. But I'd like to move somewhere new, since I am still with my parents and my college is 20 minutes away from home. xD

52. vetmedhead

vetmedhead Allied to the landslide

Veterinary Student
    I agree with this, I'm a very "big picture" person and it helps to learn about lots of things at once because I feel like I'm better able to see things within their respective contexts. I'm sure I wouldn't have issues with doing this if I was learning things system by system, but I think it's been fairly helpful so far.

I think it's also important to remember that each system certainly has elements of the other within it - for example, I think it's very hard to avoid discussing the pathology of only one particular body system at some point in your training (e.g. renal pathology) much in the same way it's difficult to avoid discussing the effect it may have on other systems (e.g.....renal pathology :p).

These things are all parts just as much as they are wholes, and I think you will get a lot of discussion of them as both at any veterinary school regardless of whether you predominantly learned about them as one or the other for most of your training.

Caiter92 and AUvsAM like this.