Fadh2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skyisblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many electrons does a single FADH2 molecule contribute to the electron transport chain?

Is it 2??

Members don't see this ad.

How many electrons does a single FADH2 molecule contribute to the electron transport chain?

Is it 2??

Yes, 2 from Fadh2 to the complex II of the ETC and 2e from NADH to Complex I of ETC in eukaryotic cell and 4e from NADH in prokaryotic cell since they dont have the membrane to cross

Btw, the FADH2 comes from kreb cycle, when the rxn goes from succinate to fumarate.

Here is a nice diagram

NADH → Complex I → Q → Complex III → cytochrome c → Complex IV → O2
____________________↑
_________________Complex II

Yes, 2 from Fadh2 to the complex II of the ETC and 2e from NADH to Complex I of ETC in eukaryotic cell and 4e from NADH in prokaryotic cell since they dont have the membrane to cross

Btw, the FADH2 comes from kreb cycle, when the rxn goes from succinate to fumarate.

Here is a nice diagram

NADH → Complex I → Q → Complex III → cytochrome c → Complex IV → O2
____________________↑
_________________Complex II

Hi Lonely, thanks for the response.

What is Q?

I'm reading Campbell's, but it doesn't go in this much detail. It doesn't even list all the intermediates. Do you think they'll ask detailed questions like this?

Hi Lonely, thanks for the response.

What is Q?

I'm reading Campbell's, but it doesn't go in this much detail. It doesn't even list all the intermediates. Do you think they'll ask detailed questions like this?

Well I dont think they will go in as detail as the diagram, but you never know now a days.

Anyways, Q = conenzyme Q, which is a carrier molecule that carries electrons from Complex I and II to COmplex III. Also, another type of carrier molecule is between complex III and IV, known as cytochrome c.

It would be good good to know the name of the cariier molecule because they might ask you, for example, where is cytochrom c found at?

If you know where cytochrome c aids in, which is in ETC, then you can say it is found in IMM.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I dont think they will go in as detail as the diagram, but you never know now a days.

Anyways, Q = conenzyme Q, which is a carrier molecule that carries electrons from Complex I and II to COmplex III. Also, another type of carrier molecule is between complex III and IV, known as cytochrome c.

It would be good good to know the name of the cariier molecule because they might ask you, for example, where is cytochrom c found at?

If you know where cytochrome c aids in, which is in ETC, then you can say it is found in IMM.

Hope this helps!

That did help a lot. You know I'm thinking is there another general bio book that i can use, but is just as simple as campbell's? I have another one called Biology by Solomon, Berg and Martin 6th edition. It's a bit more detailed, but not quite that easy to read through....

That did help a lot. You know I'm thinking is there another general bio book that i can use, but is just as simple as campbell's? I have another one called Biology by Solomon, Berg and Martin 6th edition. It's a bit more detailed, but not quite that easy to read through....

Dont read anything that is not conhrehendable!! It will only confuse you more! Campbell is good even though I wish I had it!

Dont read anything that is not conhrehendable!! It will only confuse you more! Campbell is good even though I wish I had it!

Thanks Lonely. BTW, you can get it really cheap on Amazon Marketplace. I think topscore even uses it as reference. It is so basic and simple