FAFSA and The Price is Right

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thedoctor8706

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm being a FAFSA gunner and getting it done early while I am thinking about it. But compared to last year, I am having trouble figuring out what to do when reporting income. I am going into my 3rd year of medical school this coming Summer.

Last June, my finance and I attended a special engaged couples taping of The Price is Right. Far from my wildest dreams, we got called down to play together, and ended up winning prizes valuing just north of $50,000. I'm not joking, search "my price was right loma linda" on YouTube and you'll see a video! Anyways, later in August we got married, and now it's bringing up questions on the FAFSA.

I know the winnings are taxable income, but do I need to report this on FAFSA? From a legal standpoint, the winnings are legally my wife's possession and her income, but there is a box asking for my spouse and my adjusted gross income; must I include our winnings in that calculation? Even though she claimed received income before we were married? How do I go about calculating the adjusted gross income?

And on top of that, do I need to report her full income for 2012, even though we just got married in August? There seems to be a box for it, but I'm confused why I need to state her full 2012 income, even though we just got married in August. My wife makes income, but hardly enough to support my educational expenses.

So am I going to be seeing a huge reduction in loans this year, based on our prize winnings and income? Will I still be able to pay tuition when my cost of attendance is around $65,000 for a year? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
 
You need to figure out your 2012 taxes, particularly whether you're filing separately, before you do the FAFSA.
 
If I file taxes separately, do I say I am single on the FAFSA? There doesn't seem to be an option for that. Also would filing separately be worth it in this case, as far as receiving aid? I understand all the benefits of filing jointly, but I don't want those to be offset if it takes away from loans to pay my school bill.