Liquidshock

10+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I know that it is good to fill out Fafsa asap, but when is it due?
I remember it being due in early March for colleges. Is it same for med schools?

C

Critical Mass

Each school has its own preferred and/or absolute deadline. Definitely submit the FAFSA as soon as you can, and keep in mind that you can submit it to multiple schools. Just don't falsify your state of residency.

ICCONFETTI

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
It seems like a lot of med schools also have March 1st ish as their due dates. the reason is because they need to get out the financial aid packages before May so that people can decide.

About the Ads

cajun4075

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
For the medical school I am going to the deadline for the FAFSA is April 15.

cajun4075

10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It all depends on the school you are attending. For my school the date is April 15

sara3426

10+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Anyone know the umich and uva due dates? i couldn't find umich's due date on its website. also, i'm assuming for schools you don't find out from until later (penn, harvard, etc) you don't submit their names until after you find out?
it's just occurring to me how little i know about this really really important subject...:scared:

shadowclaws

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2007
AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Who should apply for the fafsa?

I'm pretty poor making less than 10k a year, but my parents make more than 100k a year. Should I even bother with it?

Shpamme

status pages confuse me.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
But if you haven't been accepted by a particular school's FAFSA deadline (e.g. waitlists or pending decisions from late interviews) then what do you do? Do you still file a FAFSA? Do you specify a school on that FAFSA even though you haven't been accepted there yet?

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Who should apply for the fafsa?

I'm pretty poor making less than 10k a year, but my parents make more than 100k a year. Should I even bother with it?

If you don't file a FAFSA you won't be considered for grants or scholarships. If you don't give parental information on the FAFSA you won't be considered for grants or scholarships. If you feel that you have 40k+ a year to pay for school then don't fill out a FAFSA. If you come back to earth and realize that you are an idiot for thinking that you have some obscene amount of money that your parents are going to give you then fill out the FAFSA so you can get the 38k+ in federal loans to pay for school and the cost of living. Go read the financial aid forum where this thread should be located.

Put any and all schools in that you haven't been rejected to yet.

D

deleted106503

But if you haven't been accepted by a particular school's FAFSA deadline (e.g. waitlists or pending decisions from late interviews) then what do you do? Do you still file a FAFSA? Do you specify a school on that FAFSA even though you haven't been accepted there yet?

I would like to know the answer to this as well as I'm in the same situation.

About the Ads

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
If you read my reply to said question you would know.
Actually, Williams was asking about what to do if you get accepted after the FAFSA deadline, not the "should I file" issue you replied to.

davee

10+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
northwestern is due march 15
pitt is due april 16
just two off the top of my head

Doctor~Detroit

this poll sux!!!
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
Status (Visible)
You can request FAFSA send your info to multiple schools (up to 6) including the ones that you are wait listed at. So, they'd get your info.

i thought it was 5, and could include schools that haven't made a decision on you.

D

deleted106503

You can request FAFSA send your info to multiple schools (up to 6) including the ones that you are wait listed at. So, they'd get your info.

Ah, cool. Thanks for the help. :) Do you know if I have to include financial info from both of my parents? My parents are divorced and I'm dependent under my dad...

Shpamme

status pages confuse me.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Thanks Papillon11!
But let's say you're waitlisted at a school.. do you think that if you specify you need aid, that it could impact their decision negatively as far as whether to bump you off the waitlist?

SportsMedMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
Thanks Papillon11!
But let's say you're waitlisted at a school.. do you think that if you specify you need aid, that it could impact their decision negatively as far as whether to bump you off the waitlist?

As opposed to not filing at their school, so they think you dont really want to go there?

GujuMD

1K member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
what happens if you file for FAFSA after the deadline?...do you not get any loans?

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Thanks Papillon11!

no. the school will still get paid the same no matter what. If they find out that you have bad credit, on the other hand, then that may negatively affect your chances.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
what happens if you file for FAFSA after the deadline?...do you not get any loans?

If your application is significantly late then you probably wont be considered for some of the first-come-first-serve aide. You will still be considered for some aid. Many schools have a priority deadline that they want everyone to meet so they can prepare financial aid packages for their accepted students who are trying to decide between schools (which can make a big difference depending on what kind of packages you're offered). If you haven't even interviewed at the school or are still awaiting a decision by their deadline then you may not have filed your FAFSA. In this case some schools say that they would like your FAFSA filed by X days from your date of interview or something along those lines. Either way, I would suggest filing ASAP to all schools you haven't been rejected at yeat as someone said before.

Haemulon

Slippery When Wet
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 1, 2006
On SDN
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Yes, I got lazy and did not file my FAFSA right away, now I just noticed that my school wanted it by March 1st to be considered fully for all financial aid options. Crap! I will be sending it in tonite (with only estimates of my parents info unfortunately) so I hope that it does not hurt me too badly (only 5 days late?) Anyone know if being a little late makes a big difference?

Lesley

10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yes, I got lazy and did not file my FAFSA right away, now I just noticed that my school wanted it by March 1st to be considered fully for all financial aid options. Crap! I will be sending it in tonite (with only estimates of my parents info unfortunately) so I hope that it does not hurt me too badly (only 5 days late?) Anyone know if being a little late makes a big difference?

I don't think it will make any difference. Your school should receive your information very soon. Good Luck.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.