FAFSA Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was starting to fill out my FAFSA and got no further than the questions about whether your are "dependent" on your parents or "independent" of them. As far as I know, most schools consider Pharmacy to be a "graduate/professional" program (as do I), which would make me "independent." However...NDSU considers your first two years of Pharmacy school to still be "undergraduate" coursework, and there for you are "dependent." So, I don't know how to fill out the FAFSA? For NDSU I'd put "dependent" and for LECOM Bradenton (which I really actually want to go to) I'd put "independent." Normally, I'd just wait and find out which schools I get accepted at first, but ND has a priority deadline for financial aid of March 15.

What do you think I should do? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I was starting to fill out my FAFSA and got no further than the questions about whether your are "dependent" on your parents or "independent" of them. As far as I know, most schools consider Pharmacy to be a "graduate/professional" program (as do I), which would make me "independent." However...NDSU considers your first two years of Pharmacy school to still be "undergraduate" coursework, and there for you are "dependent." So, I don't know how to fill out the FAFSA? For NDSU I'd put "dependent" and for LECOM Bradenton (which I really actually want to go to) I'd put "independent." Normally, I'd just wait and find out which schools I get accepted at first, but ND has a priority deadline for financial aid of March 15.

What do you think I should do? :confused:

I thought FAFSA application itself let you know determine if you are independant or dependant? Is NDSU program a 6 year program? If it is, whether you independant or dependant they will give you money as undergrad for the first two years and then in the 3rd year you will be considered graduate. If it is not a 6 years program then it is a professional degree and when you check the degree you are pursuing( Professional), they will consider you as a graduate.

That's what a normal and sane school would do. But, this is North Dakota we're talking about here. They require 2 years undergrad, then you start Pharmacy school. They call their years P1,P2,P3,P4, so you'd think they were "professional" years, but no! They consider your first two years undergrad and then at the end of those two years, they give you a B.S. in pharmaceutical sciences. After that, and only after that, are you considered to be in the "professional" program. It doesn't even matter if you go into their school already having an undergrad degree. I know...it's really messed up!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh and the other problem is that if I do go to NDSU and I am considered and "undergrad" still, my parents make WAY too much money for me to get anything! I'll be stuck with a loan from Wells Fargo with crazy high intrest! YUCK!

If it is P1-P4 then it is a professional school. You will be considered prof/grad for financial aid purposes!!!

I just finished my fafsa paperwork, and it told me that I am not eligable for a Pell Grant because I will have my bachelor's degree before July 1, 2007. Does anyone know about this?? I thought it was only based on income?

yeah, I was told that if you have a Bachelor's degree, you are not eligible for a pell grant. The government expects you to start working once you have a Bachelor's degree.

It kind of sucks because my friend who has been in school for the same amount of years as me, but with an Associate's degree, has been getting the pell grant every year for the past 6 years or so.

If it is P1-P4 then it is a professional school. You will be considered prof/grad for financial aid purposes!!!

That's what any normal person would think (including myself). I've been in their office multiple time and called many more asking the same question in as many ways as I can think. They insist that I am still "undergrad" and that I am a "dependent."

I know, it makes no sense at all. But they have confirmed it over and over again for me and I think they are sick of me. I tried explaining the whole P1=professional thing and they still say undergrad. I even asked the pharmacy office and they said the same thing.

It makes no sense at all! It's very frusterating.

That's what any normal person would think (including myself). I've been in their office multiple time and called many more asking the same question in as many ways as I can think. They insist that I am still "undergrad" and that I am a "dependent."

I know, it makes no sense at all. But they have confirmed it over and over again for me and I think they are sick of me. I tried explaining the whole P1=professional thing and they still say undergrad. I even asked the pharmacy office and they said the same thing.

It makes no sense at all! It's very frusterating.

You can always edit it later. I would put independent if I was you. Or get married, then you would definitely be considered independent.

You can always edit it later. I would put independent if I was you. Or get married, then you would definitely be considered independent.

Funny you should mention that. I've tried to talk my fiance into that! He didn't go for it. So, I will have to wait till summer 2008...

That's weird. University of South Carolina has a 6 year program. It's 2 years prepharm, and then you can apply to the Pharmacy school. However, you don't get a bachelor's degree. I actually wanted to minor in psychology, but i was informed that I couldn't because of the face that I never actually get a bachelor's...