FAFSA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiring_dpt

Reaction score
I took a gap year between graduating and starting PT school. I graduated May of 2018 and will be starting school May 2019. Obviously, the year I took off I did not need to fill out a FAFSA. I am looking to apply for financial aid and need to complete it for the upcoming semester but do I fill out the 2018-2019 FAFSA?? Or the 2019-2020? I am just confused because the 2018 is still open to complete

Members don't see this ad.

I took a gap year between graduating and starting PT school. I graduated May of 2018 and will be starting school May 2019. Obviously, the year I took off I did not need to fill out a FAFSA. I am looking to apply for financial aid and need to complete it for the upcoming semester but do I fill out the 2018-2019 FAFSA?? Or the 2019-2020? I am just confused because the 2018 is still open to complete

So you are taking classes Spring 2019 then starting PT school in the summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would double check on that. One of the programs I got into stated that I needed to apply for the 2018-2019 fafsa since the program started in the summer time, as opposed to the fall like most programs do (so I would be applying to both the 2018-2019 as well as the 2019-2020). The academic year begins Fall 2019 and I'm pretty certain that fafsa financial aid for 2019-2020 begins at this time as well (aka not during the summer)

I know this is a late reply but I was a little confused here too however a program I was just accepted too that starts in the summer made sure to let me know to fill out BOTH. One for summer (2018-19) and then the other for fall through next summer (2019-20). I guess the FAFSA school year starts in fall and ends in summer so that’s why we have to do 18-19 so summer 1 can be covered.

I would definitely fill it out and just send it to the PT program you’re looking at and not the institution you are currently attending. Don’t see how it could hurt!