FAFSA Question

Started by Mysteree
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mysteree

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok, I'm having deja vu, cause I created an identical thread minutes ago, and now it's gone! Poof! So here I am starting another one. My question is about the amount of money we have in our savings account. I was working for a short time before applying to dental school. So I have some savings, now I'm worried that the powers that be might see that and think, let's not give person X too much subsidized loans. 😱 Things is I still have some loans from my undergrad college. I'm just wondering what I should do. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
 
...just making sure, my thread sticks this time around 🙂
 
Mysteree said:
Ok, I'm having deja vu, cause I created an identical thread minutes ago, and now it's gone! Poof! So here I am starting another one. My question is about the amount of money we have in our savings account. I was working for a short time before applying to dental school. So I have some savings, now I'm worried that the powers that be might see that and think, let's not give person X too much subsidized loans. 😱 Things is I still have some loans from my undergrad college. I'm just wondering what I should do. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.


As far as I know, if your saving is like couple thousand dollars it's not going to dramatically effect your EFC (Estimated Family Contr.), it has very little effect but if your saving is like a lot, u should talk to ur current school financial advisor to see how you can go about that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mysteree said:
Thanks benson dds. I'll talk to the lady at my college

Your savings won't be calculated into your EFC unless your 2005 Adjusted Gross Income is over $50,000.

Anything under $50k AGI is eligible for the simplified efc formula which does not take into account your assets. I believe you also have to qualify for 1040EZ or 1040A tax return.
 
DentalNerd said:
Your savings won't be calculated into your EFC unless your 2005 Adjusted Gross Income is over $50,000.

Anything under $50k AGI is eligible for the simplified efc formula which does not take into account your assets. I believe you also have to qualify for 1040EZ or 1040A tax return.


Thanks, that does clear up some of my worries 🙂