Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

FAFSA question

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by landakerjenna, Jun 22, 2008.

1. landakerjenna

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    What year do we select for FAFSA 2008-2009 or 2007-2008??
    I am confused with that since I have never filed before.
    I also have a question like lets say if I dont get FAFSA how will I
    get loans? Does school provide other loans?

2. CrazyFox

CrazyFox Ex-Pre-Pharmie
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    You need to select 2008-2009.What might happen that FAFSA might send you loans or loans and some financial aid.Oh I just noticed that you are Pharm school student. That might be different.

3. IrishRxMan

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I would go with the FAFSA, you will need the loans from that. You won't get any free money by way of grants. Like CrazyFox said, select 2008-2009 for next year's awards. There are also grad plus loans that will be offered. Try to use as little of these as possible and I would avoid private loans b/c I don't think you can consolidate them after graduation and their interest will fluctuate more and can go higher than grad plus. You still have to apply to get grad plus loans. They aren't automatically given like the stafford loans are. Hit up your financial aid office and they should be able to help you figure out what you need.

4. bacillus1

10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Wouldn't the first 2 years of pharm school still count as undergrad (since theoretically prereqs may only take 2 years)?

I know we only get the grad stafford loans when we're on rotations.

5. IrishRxMan

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    It must depend on the program. My school is four years of professional/graduate studies with the fourth year being rotations. It doesn't take into account how long it takes for you to complete your pre-reqs b/c they are considered undergraduate work. We are eligible to get grad plus loans from our P1 year, I know b/c I had to take out about $13K of them :(

6. omnione

omnione SDN Pharmoderator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I had Grad Stafford loans for my P1 year. I suppose that's because I'm at a 2+4 school where pharmacy school is a de facto graduate-level school (technically professional, but it gets treated the same).

Anyway to the OP, you choose the 2008-2009 year because the loans would be in effect for that school year. 2007-2008 is still an option for the uncommon cases of late financial aid.

7. landakerjenna

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student