FAFSA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

landakerjenna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What year do we select for FAFSA 2008-2009 or 2007-2008??
I am confused with that since I have never filed before.
I also have a question like lets say if I dont get FAFSA how will I
get loans? Does school provide other loans?

Members don't see this ad.

What year do we select for FAFSA 2008-2009 or 2007-2008??
I am confused with that since I have never filed before.
I also have a question like lets say if I dont get FAFSA how will I
get loans? Does school provide other loans?

You need to select 2008-2009.What might happen that FAFSA might send you loans or loans and some financial aid.Oh I just noticed that you are Pharm school student. That might be different.

I would go with the FAFSA, you will need the loans from that. You won't get any free money by way of grants. Like CrazyFox said, select 2008-2009 for next year's awards. There are also grad plus loans that will be offered. Try to use as little of these as possible and I would avoid private loans b/c I don't think you can consolidate them after graduation and their interest will fluctuate more and can go higher than grad plus. You still have to apply to get grad plus loans. They aren't automatically given like the stafford loans are. Hit up your financial aid office and they should be able to help you figure out what you need.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wouldn't the first 2 years of pharm school still count as undergrad (since theoretically prereqs may only take 2 years)?

I know we only get the grad stafford loans when we're on rotations.

It must depend on the program. My school is four years of professional/graduate studies with the fourth year being rotations. It doesn't take into account how long it takes for you to complete your pre-reqs b/c they are considered undergraduate work. We are eligible to get grad plus loans from our P1 year, I know b/c I had to take out about $13K of them :(

Wouldn't the first 2 years of pharm school still count as undergrad (since theoretically prereqs may only take 2 years)?

I know we only get the grad stafford loans when we're on rotations.

I had Grad Stafford loans for my P1 year. I suppose that's because I'm at a 2+4 school where pharmacy school is a de facto graduate-level school (technically professional, but it gets treated the same).

Anyway to the OP, you choose the 2008-2009 year because the loans would be in effect for that school year. 2007-2008 is still an option for the uncommon cases of late financial aid.