Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

FAFSA / TAXES Question

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by IDoctor, Apr 10, 2007.

1. IDoctor

Pre-Optometry
    I had a couple questions about the FAFSA loans before i start filling them out, if someone could help me.

I remember being told that we HAVE TO file as independent for the FAFSA loans? Does this autoamtically mean that I have to file independent on my taxes as well? Because if I do, then i lose my health insurance coverage from my parents as well? What if my parents will be helping fund some of the tuition, then they cant list it on their tax forms if I'm not listed as their dependent?? Any help is appreciated.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vc84

Pre-Optometry
    Im not sure if this answers part of ur question or not...but I recently filled out my fafsa, and it too said I was independent based on the info I wrote, (if ur entering a professional school/doctorate program/masters ur automatically considered independent)
    But I still wrote my parents income/taxes info b/c I think it helps in terms of what kinds of loans u will recieve. And my parents still file me as a dependent on their tax forms since they still will be supporting some of my education. And also I dont think it will effect ur health coverage, im still under my parents coverage, I think u just have to show ur healthcare insurance co. proof that ur at least a half time student (which u obviously will be in opt school).

Hope that helped somewhat, maybe u should call the finiancial aid dept of the school u will be attending, im sure they can help u out with ur questions.