Fafsa ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrTacoElf

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you apply for FAFSA before you get ALL your W2's. For instance I worked in 3 places last year 2 of which were part time. Do i have to wait for a W2 from each before I can do fafsa?

Members don't see this ad.

You have to supply your adjusted gross income from you income taxe forms to complete the FAFSA. You need the W-2's to complete your tax forms.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrTacoElf said:

I believe you are able to "estimate" your adjusted gross income and fill out the forms. However, you do need to go back and fill in the actual information once your W2s arrive, so it's usually easier to just wait.

how do you go about getting the fafsa forms to fill out in the first place?

Why is it so important to get it in in January?

rockit said:
Why is it so important to get it in in January?

To qualify for the most possible aid.

That is true. Applying early does help you to qualify for the most possible aid for SOME schools. Where I go to school, all of us, had nearly identical loan packages.

Hi. Can you fill out FAFSA early (jan.) if you have been accepted to a school, but are not sure that is the school you will attend in the fall? Is it better to wait? Thanks :)

irishlaydi said:
Hi. Can you fill out FAFSA early (jan.) if you have been accepted to a school, but are not sure that is the school you will attend in the fall? Is it better to wait? Thanks :)

Yeah fill it out. It needs to be processed independent of what school you go to.

ok, so i'm going through filling it out online, and it seems to help you along until it gets to what was my "income tax for 2004"...how do i know what this is? which lines do i add up on my w-2? federal and state tax? social security and medicare tax?

OSUdoc08 said:
NO YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR W-2's

That is a myth. Just supply estimates. If they are significantly different, then you may edit the FAFSA later. It is more important to get it sent of AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE then to have it 100% accurate.

Forms are available at http://www.fafsa.ed.govFILL IT OUT ONLINE!

Don't submit it on paper.

I filled out my FAFSA on Jan. 1st last year (the first available day) and it was

processed and the results returned on Jan. 2nd!

If you submit it by paper, it may take 4-6 weeks. I did not have my complete W-2's and just made estimates. This worked just fine.

neuropower said:
ok, so i'm going through filling it out online, and it seems to help you along until it gets to what was my "income tax for 2004"...how do i know what this is? which lines do i add up on my w-2? federal and state tax? social security and medicare tax?

well if you were in college, all those numbers would be zero

if you weren't then I can't help you