Fafsa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you take out FAFSA loans for repayment over a period of 30 yrs?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure 10 years is the max.

I think Fuji is right in that there is a set max for the Federal Loan repayment. However, once out of school you can conslidate your loans with a private company (i.e.-Sallie Mae) that allows you to pay it off over different time periods. However I'm still trying to figure this out so I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you take out FAFSA loans for repayment over a period of 30 yrs?

When you fill out the FAFSA you, as a health professions graduate student, will be providing information that will enable you to get the Stafford Loan. If you include your parent's information, you will be considered for the Health Professions Scholarship, Perkins (5%, subsidized loans) and other low interest rate institutional loans, too. Payments are deferred. Interest will accumulate on the unsubsidized loans, no interest on the subsidized will accumulate; no payments will be due until after you have completed your schooling. At that time, you will consider your options such as consolidating, as the other posters have stated, and look for the most favorable terms and conditions for you.

Your loan repayment period can be anywhere from 10-30 years. Do not concern yourself with this at this moment, not even while you are in school. Just fill out the FAFSA, get the money you need for school and go to school, in the end you'll figure out the loan repayment period that is right for you. After viewing the posts on this pre-dental site, I can see how much effort and anxiety goes into just getting into dental school. Just enjoy the moment. You've been accepted and are following your dream. Congratulations! Now, just fill out your FAFSA, asap. Best Wishes and Good Luck.

when is the fasfa due? and right after you fill it out what is the next step?

FAFSA can be completed on line in less than 15 minutes, once you have completed your taxes. It's free. Check out the website for it and you'll you'll be surprised how straight forward it is.

when is the fasfa due? and right after you fill it out what is the next step?

If you go to the FAFSA website and print out the practice worksheet, the cover sheet will have a list of the states and their priority deadlines, but you can submit a FAFSA anytime. For the best consideration, the earlier the better. Good luck.

Does Fafsa still give out what they call "grants and scholarships" as in undergrad or is it all just loans?

Does Fafsa still give out what they call "grants and scholarships" as in undergrad or is it all just loans?

Most aid may be in the form of loans, but you will be considered for need based grants/scholarships, if the school you are going to provides this type of institutional aid. Some dental schools offer academic scholarships, too. To be considered for need based aid, including the Perkins and Health Professions Scholarship Loans, schools often require your parent's financial information; therefore, it could only help and doesn't hurt to include it in your FAFSA application. You are eligible for Stafford regardless of your parent's income. Good Luck.

Don't wait too long because some deadlines are March 1 and some schools require your parents' information (I was told by one financial aid office that they require parental information, "Even if you're 55 and have 6 kids of your own.") This could be problematic if your parents haven't started their taxes yet.

are you able to add more dental schools after you initially sumbit?

are you able to add more dental schools after you initially sumbit?

i think you can only complete the FAFSA once you know which school you're going to b/c don't you have to enter the school's code?

Why would a loan program require your parents' income info to give YOU aid, when you're completely independent from them and going to a professional school? Can someone please explain the logic to me?

Why would a loan program require your parents' income info to give YOU aid, when you're completely independent from them and going to a professional school? Can someone please explain the logic to me?

There is no logic in it.

haha no clue...but it's just the one Health Professions Student Loan that requires parent info right?

can we correct stuff on Fafsa after we submit it??? I mean, my parents didn't do their taxes when I filed Fafsa so I just used 2005's tax returns to estimate. But now that they've done it, I wanna provide the more accurate numbers. What to do, what to do????!??!!! Oh yeah, and what do we send to the schools? Man, this is giving me a headache...

can we correct stuff on Fafsa after we submit it??? I mean, my parents didn't do their taxes when I filed Fafsa so I just used 2005's tax returns to estimate. But now that they've done it, I wanna provide the more accurate numbers. What to do, what to do????!??!!! Oh yeah, and what do we send to the schools? Man, this is giving me a headache...

Just fill out the "Make Corrections to a processed FAFSA" on the follow up page. You don't send anything to the schools. They will download it.