Fafsa???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iammeeee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you guys filed your fafsa yet? What schools did u include, only those that accepted you or all the ones you interviewed at?

Is there a general deadline for fafsa or it depends on the school?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the deadline depends on the school, but the earlier the better, which I'm sure you know. I included all the schools at which I interviewed...why not?

Generally, the priority deadlines are sometime in March (some schools had it on March 1st). The real deadlines are usually sometime in April.

Send it to any school that hasn't rejected you, and you would still consider going to. You're allowed to put up to 10 schools on the FAFSA (and there's no charge), so start with the schools that have accepted you and those that have interviewed you (or will), and then fill up the rest of the spots with those that haven't given you an interview invite but haven't rejected you yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do school's take into account the fact that you can't work next year? My "expected family contribution" is way too high and takes into account my income from last year. I hope it's not what they expect my family and I to contribute....

You are going to graduate school. It is based on your personal income and savings from the previous year. You will still be able to get the full amount of loans to cover your tuition and expenses. EFC has nothing to do with how much you have to pay.

You are going to graduate school. It is based on your personal income and savings from the previous year. You will still be able to get the full amount of loans to cover your tuition and expenses. EFC has nothing to do with how much you have to pay.

It says that if we are going to grad school we do not/should not put down our parents' info, but if we are going to medical or nursing school, that we might want to.

Does anyone know why? Does putting your parents info down affect the amount you get in aid?

The parental information is used by the school for financial aid for students aside from FAFSA aid. So for the private loans that you will get along with gov't aid.

Fill in your parental information if you want to have a chance for scholarships or need-based aid.

There's never a "should-not" in terms of filling in parental information. There is a don't have to, but it will never hurt you as their income is not taken into account for your EFC. It can only help you get scholarships/need-based aid.