Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Fafsa?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by dumbguy, Jan 1, 2009.

1. dumbguy

2+ Year Member

anyone started their FAFSA yet? Any tips?

2. avuong

7+ Year Member

get out your tax return forms. Most information requested by fafsa will be on your tax returns and/or your parents if you are a dependent. They may also request the value of your real estate, stock, and checking account.
    Best of luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ImDaStyle

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    When can we start? now?

4. dumbguy

2+ Year Member

i did a school search on the fafsa website but cannot search for schools in candidate status? Can you only get government loans if it is an accredited school?

5. tootoo30

tootoo30 Account Closed!
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    If you have no income to report, yes you can fill out the FAFSA now. If you have income to report, if would probably be best to do it after you have done your tax returns, but it's not required, just check the option have not file yet.

HTH

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Maybe you know my situation, but..

-I live with my parents (they don't pay for my education, though...they are able to pay, but I really don't want their help)
    -I have a full-ride scholarship for being a merit finalist
    -I haven't worked since early 2007

anyway, since the pharmacy school im looking at is going to cost 36k/yr, I don't want to put any burden on anyone. I know I won't be able to work...but...can I fill out FAFSA as an independent (even though I live with my parents & I don't have any tax payments within the last 2 yrs)? Can I get a subsidized loan?

If you can't answer these questions, direct me to a person who could probably answer these questions. Thanks!

7. wolfpackhal

wolfpackhal UNC PharmD class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Artful Dodger, go to this link:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/before015.htm

I am new to the FASFA this year because my dad has always handled the FASFA and tuition stuff for my undergrad, but I am fairly certain that going into a PharmD program (whether your parents claim you as a dependent on their tax return or not) classifies you as an indepedent for FASFA purposes. I do not think you will have any problem getting enough loans to cover tuition at a state or private school for your PharmD.

8. Artful Dodger

Removed 2+ Year Member

Awesome! Thank you very much.

9. kismet

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Put your parents info in the FAFSA still though.. you need it to be considered for the Health Professions Student Loan.

10. tootoo30

tootoo30 Account Closed!
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    It will depend on the school your applying to and how they classify their P1 students. Some schools still consider P1 and P2 (Xavier) as undergrad and I know there are others too. If that is the case, I don't see a way around NOT using your parents information, since you reside at the same address and don't have any income. If your school classifies their P1's as graduate students, don't sweat it you are automatically considered an independent student and you can get the max loans.

HTH

11. PharMed2016

PharMed2016 Eternal Scholar
    Physician Pharmacist 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This health profession's student loan, is it an undergraduate loan? Also, whats the interest on this loan?

12. fenixtnlfan

fenixtnlfan P2 Wildcat
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    No it's not but you have to provide your parents' info to get this loan. If your parents make decent money you won't get the loan. When we had our info session about this loan they were pretty cryptic about what you needed to qualify, but there might be more info out there.

13. wolfpackhal

wolfpackhal UNC PharmD class of 2013
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    If you put your parents info. on the FASFA to get the health professions loan would you still be able to get enough federal loans to cover private school tuition (I know this depends on your parents income of course)? I think I would be better off using only my info. and getting all the federal loans versus probably being rejected for the health professions loan and then not getting other loans too because of my parent's income. I am going to pay for my pharmacy school on my own and will need the loans to cover private school tuition.

14. fenixtnlfan

fenixtnlfan P2 Wildcat
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    That's a good question to ask the school you will be attending. For my school it didn't matter for the fed loans because we are considered professional students in P1 and are hence independents. Other schools still consider you an undergrad so then it might matter.

15. Artful Dodger

Removed 2+ Year Member

Yeah, seriously...

My parents make a nice sum, and I don't want to take anything away from their hard-earned money. I would feel more comfortable if grad school came out of my own pocket. I think when the time is right...I'll deal with this issue. I really dont know my situation yet.

16. kismet

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    At UOP they told us they won't use our parent info against us. To be considered for the HPSL you must provide your parent info but that is the only thing it should be used for. UOP said after they do the HPSL thing they will then look at only YOUR info to determine your loans.

You should check with your school.. they have a lot of experience with this stuff. :)