Failed 3 classes...not sure what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lost@Frost

Reaction score
Hello everyone...Im an M1 who recently failed 3 classes. I have 1 week before my first set of remediation exams. I would have been fine if I were only remediating my original 2 classes but with 3 now I am concerned. Thats 80 lectures in a week. I honestly dont know how I can do this and so I am coming onto here to ask for help. Here are the 3 options Ive come up with so far:

1.) Study for remediations-I have 2 chances to pass. If I dont I am subject to (and most likely will) be dismissed.

2.) Withdraw willingly to avoid failing out-(Im thinking of restarting my whole career path and going to dental school and yes I know, dental school is just as hard if not harder than med school. I know how to study better now as well as I have a knack for hands on things. Dentistry interests me-I was considering it before medical school. Plus my med school is infamous for screwing over students so I do feel as though I could be doing much better had I gone to a good school which I would aim for when applying to dental schools. )

3.) cry and contemplate running overseas to escape from my pitiful reality

In all seriousness, I would appreciate any insight. Honestly Ive made it this far for these classes to be the end of my medical school journey is killing me. I was so close to becoming an M2. I know why I failed-serious case of burnout combined with the fact that I have yet to figure out a proper way to study. I met with my school's academic advisor before and they were of no help. I have switched up my study habits multiple times. I am at a loss. I once withdrew from a class in college because I was going to get a 70%...now I aim to achieve 70%.

Members don't see this ad.

What does your Student Affairs Dean recommend?
I havent reached out to them to be honest. My own school has yet to contact me about remediations and the whole process despite them being in a week. I dont even know the exact times. I have been left in the dark as is typical of my school. Honestly going off of the response my academic advisor gave me-they will ask me what I want to do and tell me to do that. Though I am pretty positive they will tell me my only option is to take the remediations for each class because thats the official rule in the student handbook. I will reach out though and see...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone...Im an M1 who recently failed 3 classes. I have 1 week before my first set of remediation exams. I would have been fine if I were only remediating my original 2 classes but with 3 now I am concerned. Thats 80 lectures in a week. I honestly dont know how I can do this and so I am coming onto here to ask for help. Here are the 3 options Ive come up with so far:

1.) Study for remediations-I have 2 chances to pass. If I dont I am subject to (and most likely will) be dismissed.

2.) Withdraw willingly to avoid failing out-(Im thinking of restarting my whole career path and going to dental school and yes I know, dental school is just as hard if not harder than med school. I know how to study better now as well as I have a knack for hands on things. Dentistry interests me-I was considering it before medical school. Plus my med school is infamous for screwing over students so I do feel as though I could be doing much better had I gone to a good school which I would aim for when applying to dental schools. )

3.) cry and contemplate running overseas to escape from my pitiful reality

In all seriousness, I would appreciate any insight. Honestly Ive made it this far for these classes to be the end of my medical school journey is killing me. I was so close to becoming an M2. I know why I failed-serious case of burnout combined with the fact that I have yet to figure out a proper way to study. I met with my school's academic advisor before and they were of no help. I have switched up my study habits multiple times. I am at a loss. I once withdrew from a class in college because I was going to get a 70%...now I aim to achieve 70%.
They only gave you 1 week to study for 3 classes?

Reactions: 1 users
My school holds remediations from the entire year in the summer so these classes are not all from the same semester.
Did you spend time reviewing materials from those 3 classes throughout the year? If so then it shouldn't take much effort to do a comprehensive review in 1 week.

Did you spend time reviewing materials from those 3 classes throughout the year? If so then it shouldn't take much effort to do a comprehensive review in 1 week.
Dont get me wrong Im going to give it my all, but if I wasnt able to pass these classes during their regular block scheduling how will I pass 3 in a shorter amount of time? Not trying to be pessimistic.

Ask for an LOA and a chance to restart the curriculum from the beginning. Alternatively, ask to retake all three classes this year instead of a make up exam.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
It seems like the school is setting you up for failure here. Reach out and ask "Has anyone done this before? I don't expect it to end well."

Had to remediate an OSCE during M2 because I kind of blew it off. Was a silly thing, and it was randomly scheduled the week of an exam. No one had any idea until, well, I told them and they made it easy on me.

Really sorry for your struggles. You'll occasionally get jerks in administration but they want to see you make it most of the time.

Ask for an LOA and a chance to restart the curriculum from the beginning. Alternatively, ask to retake all three classes this year instead of a make up exam.
To be honest I dont think I could go redo the entire year-especially since I passed all my other classes. My school is known for a notoriously ridiculous 1st semester and I believe my whole burnout/depression has stemmed from that horror.

As much as I dont want to delay a year, taking a LOA until it would be time for me to take these classes again with the incoming M1s sounds reasonable to me (doubt my admin would think so tho). This would allow me some time to address my burnout as well as figure out a proper way to study.

It seems like the school is setting you up for failure here. Reach out and ask "Has anyone done this before? I don't expect it to end well."

Had to remediate an OSCE during M2 because I kind of blew it off. Was a silly thing, and it was randomly scheduled the week of an exam. No one had any idea until, well, I told them and they made it easy on me.

Really sorry for your struggles. You'll occasionally get jerks in administration but they want to see you make it most of the time.

Thank you. Honestly, I have been feeling so alone in this journey because it feels like admin is not on my side. No matter what I do its like they want me to fail. Its a big part as to why im so burnt out-no matter how hard I try I always end up failing in some way or another. I will be reaching out but from what ive heard I dont expect too favorable of a response...

How many classes did you have total that failed 3?

Like my first year I had Anatomy, Physio, histo, micro, Biochem, and OMM. So failing 3 would be half the courses. A repeat year might be more sensible than simple remediations if viable.

Or do you mean you did all the organ systems and failed 3?

To be honest I dont think I could go redo the entire year-especially since I passed all my other classes. My school is known for a notoriously ridiculous 1st semester and I believe my whole burnout/depression has stemmed from that horror.

As much as I dont want to delay a year, taking a LOA until it would be time for me to take these classes again with the incoming M1s sounds reasonable to me (doubt my admin would think so tho). This would allow me some time to address my burnout as well as figure out a proper way to study.
You will need to coming up with a remediation plan and to show how you will not let this happen again.

You also need to be more proactive; you have been reaching out for help long ago.

I strongly recommend taking the LOA. And work on coping skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
How many classes did you have total that failed 3?

Like my first year I had Anatomy, Physio, histo, micro, Biochem, and OMM. So failing 3 would be half the courses. A repeat year might be more sensible than simple remediations if viable.

Or do you mean you did all the organ systems and failed 3?
Its definitely less than 10% of the courses weve taken all year.

You will need to coming up with a remediation plan and to show how you will not let this happen again.

You also need to be more proactive; you have been reaching out for help long ago.

I strongly recommend taking the LOA. And work on coping skills.
Unfortunately, my school thinks otherwise. I have been informed my only option is to remediate within the given timeline. Im not quite sure what you mean by being more proactive as I have reached out and done what I've can. Quite honestly it felt like my school didnt really care about me failing out with the way they handled this.

Unfortunately, my school thinks otherwise. I have been informed my only option is to remediate within the given timeline. Im not quite sure what you mean by being more proactive as I have reached out and done what I've can. Quite honestly it felt like my school didnt really care about me failing out with the way they handled this.
Have you discussed this with the Dean? I agree that your school is setting you up for failure, although at my school, failing three classes would mean an automatic dismissal, alas.

Double check your student handbook for policies of failing, remediation and LOA.

Are you attending one of the newer schools? I'd like to know what penitentiary this is. PM me

If you just found out that you have to remediate and you only have a week to study for the remedial exams, you should maybe consider withdrawing, especially if it is "withdrawal in good standing."

I am not sure how likely it is for you to get into dental school at this point, but readmission to medical school is not outside the realm of possibility. You would need something like a medical diagnosis that explains why you struggled previously and now with treatment, how things would be different now. It might not be the most high yield approach (meaning most schools won't consider you), and it will be expensive if you do get readmitted.

Alternative career options that pay well include PA and AA (Anesthesiologist Assistant). It's still possible to have a lucrative medical career even if you do leave medical school. I would avoid things like pharmacy and optometry.

Have you discussed this with the Dean? I agree that your school is setting you up for failure, although at my school, failing three classes would mean an automatic dismissal, alas.

Double check your student handbook for policies of failing, remediation and LOA.

Are you attending one of the newer schools? I'd like to know what penitentiary this is. PM me
Havent talked to the dean but Im not sure anything would change. The answer is always to follow the handbook. My school decides whether we are eligible for remediation or not based off of credits. Plus these 3 classes are not all from the same semester. Things would be a lot easier if my remediation exams where spaced out but alas.

If you just found out that you have to remediate and you only have a week to study for the remedial exams, you should maybe consider withdrawing, especially if it is "withdrawal in good standing."

I am not sure how likely it is for you to get into dental school at this point, but readmission to medical school is not outside the realm of possibility. You would need something like a medical diagnosis that explains why you struggled previously and now with treatment, how things would be different now. It might not be the most high yield approach (meaning most schools won't consider you), and it will be expensive if you do get readmitted.

Alternative career options that pay well include PA and AA (Anesthesiologist Assistant). It's still possible to have a lucrative medical career even if you do leave medical school. I would avoid things like pharmacy and optometry.
In all honesty what are my chances for residency now? I have 3 failures already on my transcript and even if I do pass and try my hardest from here on out I cant guarantee that I wont fail anymore. My gpa isnt the best. I am scared that I wont pass boards. I was aiming for primary care-nothing competitive. If I successfully pass these classes will these be a red flag on my app?

Tbh I am considering leaving the field. I know it only gets harder from here on out. Its just that I worked so hard to get here and to finish this year...Also I have a typical useless premed degree so not much I can do there. I know dentistry is a long-shot but I'm thinking if I take 2 years to get a great DAT and really work on my app to convince them that I actually want to do it because it interests me that I might have a shot? Im not too keen to go into another medical field at this point. The hands on aspect of dentistry really interests me as well as having a good work life balance. A huge part of my burnout is due to the neverending path to becoming an attending and how random it all is.

Dont get me wrong Im going to give it my all, but if I wasnt able to pass these classes during their regular block scheduling how will I pass 3 in a shorter amount of time? Not trying to be pessimistic.

How do you expect to pass board exams, things that cover every class essentially

In all honesty what are my chances for residency now? I have 3 failures already on my transcript and even if I do pass and try my hardest from here on out I cant guarantee that I wont fail anymore. My gpa isnt the best. I am scared that I wont pass boards. I was aiming for primary care-nothing competitive. If I successfully pass these classes will these be a red flag on my app?

Tbh I am considering leaving the field. I know it only gets harder from here on out. Its just that I worked so hard to get here and to finish this year...Also I have a typical useless premed degree so not much I can do there. I know dentistry is a long-shot but I'm thinking if I take 2 years to get a great DAT and really work on my app to convince them that I actually want to do it because it interests me that I might have a shot? Im not too keen to go into another medical field at this point. The hands on aspect of dentistry really interests me as well as having a good work life balance. A huge part of my burnout is due to the neverending path to becoming an attending and how random it all is.

It's hard to say. There are folks who get a residency with way worse than the situation you are in, but that is highly dependent on specific factors such as geographical factors, networking, etc.

My advice is less from a "I don't think you can ever get a residency" standpoint and more from a "A withdrawal looks a LOT better than a dismissal if you were to try to apply to these other programs."

If you are absolutely sure you are going to withdraw, try contacting dental school admissions offices and try to set up a meeting with an admissions person. Be honest with them about what is going on and ask for advice for how to be competitive. Some schools might be a bit more open to you applying there.

However, keep in mind that you only have a week for the exam and the longer you spend on SDN, the more time is being wasted.

How about this, take this week to figure out what you are going to do (attempt the exam, withdraw, whatever) and then come back to us and we can assist you further. I will gladly give you advice over PM if you like.

Last edited:
This sounds like it has VCOM written all over it...

What? Failing three classes would mean being dismissed rather than being allowed to repeat the year? Why?
( As I wait for my school's decision on allowing me to repeat the year, I may eat these words later)That seems a little harsh?

What? Failing three classes would mean being dismissed rather than being allowed to repeat the year? Why?
( As I wait for my school's decision on allowing me to repeat the year, I may eat these words later)That seems a little harsh?
I could be mistaken, in hindsight. It might be dismissal or repeat the year.

With some students, best to let them go early, rather than allowing them to get soaked with debt.

I could be mistaken, in hindsight. It might be dismissal or repeat the year.

With some students, best to let them go early, rather than allowing them to get soaked with debt.
I guess it depends by how much and what factors may have come into play ( undiagnosed ADHD, anxiety, etc). Id imagine with Pandemic School TM , they would be more lenient! Your comment just gave me anxiety XD

I would think the norm at most schools is to allow students who fail a few classes to repeat the year. Fail one class and you take remedial exams over the summer without repeating the year. Fail the remedial exams and you are expelled.

You need to talk to your student affairs dean.

I highly suggest you take a LOA and repeat the year. Plenty of people do it. Study during the summer and focus on your weak subject areas. Come back strong the following year. You can do this! Don’t give up. I suggest you not take these remediation classes bc it sounds like if you fail them, you cannot repeat the year—you need to clarify all these options. Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
Dental student here. Dental schools aren’t going to be keen on accepting a medical student who is using dental school as a backup. And yeah you might say “I’m not using it as a backup,” but admissions isn’t stupid, they’ll see you didn’t do well in medical school and feel they are the second choice. I think you’ll honestly have a hard time getting into a dental school

Dental student here. Dental schools aren’t going to be keen on accepting a medical student who is using dental school as a backup. And yeah you might say “I’m not using it as a backup,” but admissions isn’t stupid, they’ll see you didn’t do well in medical school and feel they are the second choice. I think you’ll honestly have a hard time getting into a dental school

If the OP were to look into this option, they need to have face-to-face meetings with admissions officials (if possible) for a frank discussion. They would need to be completely upfront and honest about everything.

I think it is possible, depending on the circumstances, and how carefully they choose their words. Some people love giving someone a second chance.

The main issue is the dental school debt, on top of the med school debt, should they get admitted. They could easily end up with over $1 million in federal student loans and would likely end up on PAYE or IBR for the rest of their working life. Out-of-state COA is as high as 700k from what I understand.

There are cheaper options.... PA, AA, or podiatry. Can make at least a similar income to a general dentist, if not higher. Less training (except in the case of podiatry...4 years of basically med school + 3 year residency), less debt, less interest accrual...

If the OP were to look into this option, they need to have face-to-face meetings with admissions officials (if possible) for a frank discussion. They would need to be completely upfront and honest about everything.

I think it is possible, depending on the circumstances, and how carefully they choose their words. Some people love giving someone a second chance.

The main issue is the dental school debt, on top of the med school debt, should they get admitted. They could easily end up with over $1 million in federal student loans and would likely end up on PAYE or IBR for the rest of their working life. Out-of-state COA is as high as 700k from what I understand.

There are cheaper options.... PA, AA, or podiatry. Can make at least a similar income to a general dentist, if not higher. Less training (except in the case of podiatry...4 years of basically med school + 3 year residency), less debt, less interest accrual...
Yes I agree. My previous comment is implying the OP won’t get into a good dental school that’s cheap, like a state school. If anything OP will end up getting accepted to somewhere like NYU at over $100k a year, which is ridiculous. I think there are better options for OP than that

Yes I agree. My previous comment is implying the OP won’t get into a good dental school that’s cheap, like a state school. If anything OP will end up getting accepted to somewhere like NYU at over $100k a year, which is ridiculous. I think there are better options for OP than that

$100k/year tuition... Yikes!

So as an update I ended up passing all exams and going straight into second year with no summer break-not a big deal just burnt out is all. Doing pretty well so far but I still have major doubts whether I want to continue down this path. To be honest I was adamant that I was not going to go into second year whether I passed or not but ultimately when it came to it my family talked me out and being stubborn I couldnt withdraw on my own accord. Everyone tells me I would be making a huge mistake were I to drop out and its hard to ignore that.

I have a friend in 3rd year right now and they were one of the people who originally talked me into staying in. Now whenever I talk to them they seem to echo the same thoughts I had about this field. I know 3rd year is difficult but its honestly making me wonder why I am putting myself through this hell. I used to be really excited about primary care but I dont really care about it anymore. Classes where we simulate cases are so boring and I dont care about understanding the process of making a treatment plan at all. Im also always thinking about my 3 failures and how i already have a messed-up application for residencies. My advisor has told me that I;m basically screwed which just demotivates me even more. Im also worried about passing board exams and the rest of my classes. Most days I wish I could go back and pursue a different path that doesnt take so much time and have as much risks. Honestly the only reason I havent left yet is because of my debt. I know most of you will say if you hate it that much to just cut my losses now and move on but with 200k in debt and a useless degree that seems impossible.

• Care
Reactions: 9 users
You need a new advisor. In no way are you screwed by remediating classes and starting second year on time if you plan to go into primary care. You might not be able to go IM at Hopkins or Mayo, but you’ll still have lots of doors open to you as long as you pass boards & everything else. You’d be shocked at how many currently practicing doctors failed a class, repeated a year, or even dropped out and came back to repeat their entire preclinical years.

Have you considered talking to a therapist about your feelings about failing? You can’t continue beating yourself up over the past. You’ve shown grit and resiliency by coming back and passing your courses, and you need to own what you’ve accomplished as well as any mistakes you’ve made.

I’m not going to give advice about dropping out or not, except to say that even if medicine isn’t your calling, it’s still a stable job with a good income. If you can get through, you’ll more than likely find something that you enjoy doing, because it’s an incredibly flexible career.

Reactions: 9 users
You need a new advisor. In no way are you screwed by remediating classes and starting second year on time if you plan to go into primary care. You might not be able to go IM at Hopkins or Mayo, but you’ll still have lots of doors open to you as long as you pass boards & everything else. You’d be shocked at how many currently practicing doctors failed a class, repeated a year, or even dropped out and came back to repeat their entire preclinical years.

Have you considered talking to a therapist about your feelings about failing? You can’t continue beating yourself up over the past. You’ve shown grit and resiliency by coming back and passing your courses, and you need to own what you’ve accomplished as well as any mistakes you’ve made.

I’m not going to give advice about dropping out or not, except to say that even if medicine isn’t your calling, it’s still a stable job with a good income. If you can get through, you’ll more than likely find something that you enjoy doing, because it’s an incredibly flexible career.
Thank you. I guess Ive just been worried that Ill go through these next 3 years and not end up matching because of my preclinical grades. Im seeing so many posts about people not matching despite having no obvious red flags so its made me super worried. At this point me dropping out isnt about me not liking the field but rather whether its worth continuing down this field if my chances for matching are now lower. I'd like to think my advisor was being harsh to deter me from failing anymore classes (as if I'm already not trying to lol). Appreciate the advice.

Also a not-so-related question but seeing as I want to go into primary care would it be fine if I just chose to take COMLEX level 1 and Step 2 rather than Step 1, COMLEX Level 1, and step 2? I was advised by a mentor to do this and it makes sense to me as Step 1 is pass/fail so I dont really see the reason in taking it other than wasting my time and spending more money. Especially since now most people seem to agree that the emphasis will be put on Step 2. However not sure if its a good idea with my current preclinical grades. I feel like if I can focus on just taking the comlex I would do a lot better so I would appreciate any advice.

Also a not-so-related question but seeing as I want to go into primary care would it be fine if I just chose to take COMLEX level 1 and Step 2 rather than Step 1, COMLEX Level 1, and step 2? I was advised by a mentor to do this and it makes sense to me as Step 1 is pass/fail so I dont really see the reason in taking it other than wasting my time and spending more money. Especially since now most people seem to agree that the emphasis will be put on Step 2. However not sure if its a good idea with my current preclinical grades. I feel like if I can focus on just taking the comlex I would do a lot better so I would appreciate any advice.
Your path to Primary Care can easily be done via COMLEX only

Reactions: 2 users
I think that with the new STEP rules you have to take and pass STEP 1 to have the opportunity to sit for STEP 2

• Sad
Your advisor is trash. Don’t listen to the school. Study hard to pass (and do the best you can!) to graduate and gtfo. SO many people fail things in med school, just no one admits it or talks about it. I know so many people who failed a test, a course, remediate a course, repeated a year, failed a board exam, failed a shelf, failed a rotation, etc, but they moved on, didn’t get discouraged, fought hard— and where are they now? All attendings or fellows living their lives. (I’m one of them!) You’ll be fine. Just don’t give up. Honestly Med school does suck, rotations are so much better. Having a goal and working towards it really helps! Try to set your goal to be: study for boards, get to 3rd year and having fun on rotations. Take it a day at a time but also reflect this summer on how you may study better (and really try this summer to start studying for boards! I recommend doing combank so you get familiar with the comlex, sooner the better!). Just don’t give up and do not listen to your dumb advisor. They’re not doctors, they have no idea what we go through, just smile and nod and politely move on. If you have any specific q, PM me, but you’ll be fine, take a deep breath and carry on :)

Reactions: 8 users
Your advisor is trash. Don’t listen to the school. Study hard to pass (and do the best you can!) to graduate and gtfo. SO many people fail things in med school, just no one admits it or talks about it. I know so many people who failed a test, a course, remediate a course, repeated a year, failed a board exam, failed a shelf, failed a rotation, etc, but they moved on, didn’t get discouraged, fought hard— and where are they now? All attendings or fellows living their lives. (I’m one of them!) You’ll be fine. Just don’t give up. Honestly Med school does suck, rotations are so much better. Having a goal and working towards it really helps! Try to set your goal to be: study for boards, get to 3rd year and having fun on rotations. Take it a day at a time but also reflect this summer on how you may study better (and really try this summer to start studying for boards! I recommend doing combank so you get familiar with the comlex, sooner the better!). Just don’t give up and do not listen to your dumb advisor. They’re not doctors, they have no idea what we go through, just smile and nod and politely move on. If you have any specific q, PM me, but you’ll be fine, take a deep breath and carry on :)
Thank you for posting this.

To the OP, can confirm. I failed a course in 1st year and a course in 2nd year prompting remediation and an extra year of preclinical. Passed all my COMLEXs on first try, and now I'm a very happy PGY2 in psychiatry. Lots of other people failed things and went on to be successful. Make sure you're one of them. Good luck.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Thank you for the motivation. I appreciate it!
Thank you for posting this.

To the OP, can confirm. I failed a course in 1st year and a course in 2nd year prompting remediation and an extra year of preclinical. Passed all my COMLEXs on first try, and now I'm a very happy PGY2 in psychiatry. Lots of other people failed things and went on to be successful. Make sure you're one of them. Good luck.
Thanks! So I am assuming you only took the COMLEX. Looking back would you have also taken STEP? I am trying to decide what route I want to go down now since it seems like I have to take STEP 1 to take STEP 2.

Thank you for the motivation. I appreciate it!

Thanks! So I am assuming you only took the COMLEX. Looking back would you have also taken STEP? I am trying to decide what route I want to go down now since it seems like I have to take STEP 1 to take STEP 2.
Definitely take step. Especially now that it will be pass/fail by the time you sit for it (correct?). I was scared and I didn't study very efficiently and was afraid of failing, but you'll be so much better off if you take it.

There is no requirement to take S1 before S2. From the USMLE Bulletin:

1630168126517.png

1630168146511.png

(Im thinking of restarting my whole career path and going to dental school and yes I know, dental school is just as hard if not harder than med school. I know how to study better now as well as I have a knack for hands on things. Dentistry interests me-I was considering it before medical school. Plus my med school is infamous for screwing over students so I do feel as though I could be doing much better had I gone to a good school which I would aim for when applying to dental schools. )
:rolleyes:

Sure, just go to dental school