Status
Not open for further replies.

libertyyne

5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
most US schools md/do will work with you anyway. They will give you an opportunity over the summer to either remediate the exam or do an entire class or go get an entire class at another medical school that offers it during the summer. You should have a student handbook that outlines these procedures.

About the Ads

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical, Medical Student
I'm confused. Does your school have a strict pass rate? I thought most schools were moving away from that

Angus Avagadro

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2018
Status
Attending Physician
Schools have individual policies on remediation. Are there other failures? If so, you would need to remediate at our school. As always, the devil is in the details. Check your student handbook. Good luck and best wishes

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status
Dr. Avagadro, I am a student at the Alabama College of Medicine. I did not fail any other courses. Yesterday I sat down with the SPC committee from my school and suggested that I was given the chance to continue forward and remediate anatomy during the summer. Today the SPC committee has recommended that I be failed and have to repeat the year. I am willing to complete any course to avoid having to repeat. Do you have any advice? I read the student handbook and it mentions in general about remediation (does not say for which classes specifically), but it seems that my school is in the habit of failing students without giving them any sort of opportunity to remediate when it comes to anatomy and molecular medicine. I reached out to the dean and made an appointment for Monday but I'm not exactly sure how to approach him regarding this issue. My final score was a 67% (3% below passing rate, I made an erroneous calculation when I said in the post initially that it was 1%).
Wow that’s so sad. My school definitely wouldn’t fail you. Keep pushing for remediation. It’s crazy that they’d make you repeat the year for one class

NecFasc92

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Wow that’s so sad. My school definitely wouldn’t fail you. Keep pushing for remediation. It’s crazy that they’d make you repeat the year for one class
Such is the life of a DO student. I have several friends that this happened to. Got$ta kee$p the $chool ru$nn$ing $ome$how

NecFasc92

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2016
Status
Medical Student
ACOM has enough applications to fill 10 times their class size, I think this is more about them not wanting their graduates to score poorly on COMLEX/USMLE, which would make the school look bad.
Each repeat year is 5 more figures in their pocket. Each class size has a limit *except* schools can add repeat years to the next class without it affecting the cap, ie class size doesn't include the repeaters. Meaning, it's a loophole that allows them to maximize profit while still staying under the class size "limit."

Reactions: BorntobeDO?

Angus Avagadro

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2018
Status
Attending Physician
With respect to the limited information you have presented .
1. What has your advisor recommended? He/She should be aware of your schools policy with respect to course failure and remediation.
2. Having met with the SPC comittee, they would look at your entire semester grades in determining whether you might repeat the year. If your other grades are marginal, this would weigh on their decision. The school I attended and the school where i now teach both offer an anatomy course over the summer for someone with your grade. A lower score would possibly end up repeating.
3 I would meet with the Dean and point out that you nearly missed passing anatomy. If your other grades reflect a higher level of achievement, it would be in your favor to point that out.
That's about all I have for this point in your process. I'm sorry you are going through this. But you ARE the schools product and your success is important to them. It is in your best interest, and theirs, to achieve your goals.
There are some very insightful people on this forum and I'm hopeful they can offer some in additional thoughts
Repeating the year is expensive, but not disqualifying. I've read several posters who repeated and went on to match successfully. Good luck and Best Wishes!

MedicineN'Jazz

calling all jazzites
2+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2016
Status
Could you tell me what school you're associated with and any good points I could raise to the dean to change his mind?
I go to Wayne. Perhaps it’s only because of our new curriculum. But the general policy, is that the pass rate is set to two SD below the mean (which usually is in the high 50’s, low 60’s). 70 is still our minimum pass rate, but as long as we’re above the 2 SD cutoff, we receive a pass and do not have to remediate

Edit: As for good points, definitely squabble to the Dean. But find a way to gently remind him, that you only failed by three points. Ask him the policy for remediation, and why it isn’t being considered in your case. Remind him that you could always retake the test, or remediate over the summer as many schools have historically done. It’s actually ridiculous that they’re making you start over for something so small :(

Last edited:

popopopop

7+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I knew there had to be some sort of explanation why they fail so many people. I'd like to raise this point to my dean when I meet with him on Monday, do you have any credible source I could take to the meeting? Is what you just explained to me some sort of protocol that I could print out and use as one of my arguing points.

Unfortunately, I am not leaving any details out. I passed all my other courses with A's, 1 B and a mid C. I did not have any serious disciplinary problems either.
What, don't bring anything up about profit!

Angus Avagadro

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2018
Status
Attending Physician
1. My advisor has said that students failing Anatomy or Molecular medicine are asked to repeat. She made it seem like repeating is a privilege and something I should happy about.
2. I received 2 A's, a low B, and a mid C. Could you tell me the name of your school so I could present the option to the dean?
I cannot, but as I mentioned earlier I know 2 schools which would treat your situation differently. You would qualify for remediation at mine and not asked to repeat. Your advisor doesn't seem like much help. If that is accurate, it ought to be spelled out in the student handbook. You have a pretty solid semester otherwise, so I would press the fact that you have shown academic achievement in the other courses. However, schools have a lot of latitude in these matters and will vary from school to school. Good luck on Monday.

Reactions: libertyyne

libertyyne

5+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Also, you hold no power so argueing is not to your benefit. You should acknowledge what went wrong in your meeting, and speak to how you have implemented changes to prevent that from occuring again, and paint a picture of change in study habits. You are at their mercy unfortunately. Some schools will flunk people if you fail anatomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
About the Ads