Failed biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rainydayam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate any advice that you all can give me. I've been a long time lurker and am finally posting due to the fact that I failed biochemistry. I am an M1 at a mid tier MD school in the Midwest. This week I found out that I failed biochemistry due to bombing the final which was worth half of our grade. I will take a remediation exam some time this winter which I have already begun to study for. My question is, is it still possible to match into opthalmology or anything competitive? I know that I cannot be certain that this is what I want to match in to until I've done rotations, but I am pretty certain that opthalmology is where I want to be. Does this one failing grade knock me out of the race? Thanks for your opinions!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would really appreciate any advice that you all can give me. I've been a long time lurker and am finally posting due to the fact that I failed biochemistry. I am an M1 at a mid tier MD school in the Midwest. This week I found out that I failed biochemistry due to bombing the final which was worth half of our grade. I will take a remediation exam some time this winter which I have already begun to study for. My question is, is it still possible to match into opthalmology or anything competitive? I know that I cannot be certain that this is what I want to match in to until I've done rotations, but I am pretty certain that opthalmology is where I want to be. Does this one failing grade knock me out of the race? Thanks for your opinions!!

No. It's one red flag. If it became a pattern, it might hurt your chances. But at that point, it's probably the knowledge deficit that will hurt you more.

Take your classes seriously, but you're not studying to be a biochemist, physiologist, etc.

However, I'd work hard to understand that stuff (even though I'm not a fan). It helps tie together physiology, pharmacology, and path, and comes up during those classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One failed preclinical grade won't knock you out of the race. That being said, it's going to require a complete 180 degree turn based on what you're doing now.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone! I've already met with the academic support team and come up with a plan for passing the course. I am passing my other courses (including anatomy) its just that biochem never really stuck for me. Thanks for the book suggestion Jabbed, it's required at my school and I have a hard copy and a digital copy. I really appreciate you all responding!

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder how many people spell it wrong in their personal statements... It's got to be embarrassing as ****...

We had a surgical careers information night a few weeks ago with a panel of surgeons doing a Q&A for the audience of med students... One of the medical students who was helping host the event introduced all the surgeons, and when he got to the otolaryngologist he did not know how to pronounce it... he fumbled over the word awkwardly and there was a moment of silence while he tried to decipher it several times, and still got it wrong after 3 attempts. The guy standing beside him whispered in his ear and told him how to pronounce it. I was cringing so hard the entire time.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh biochem

I remember that

well not really

that's the one with ATP, right?

Reactions: 4 users
We had a surgical careers information night a few weeks ago with a panel of surgeons doing a Q&A for the audience of med students... One of the medical students who was helping host the event introduced all the surgeons, and when he got to the otolaryngologist he did not know how to pronounce it... he fumbled over the word awkwardly and there was a moment of silence while he tried to decipher it several times, and still got it wrong after 3 attempts. The guy standing beside him whispered in his ear and told him how to pronounce it. I was cringing so hard the entire time.

Student pulls out phone, Googles term, places phone up to the microphone...

Plays:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/audi...otolaryngology&text=\ˌō-tō-ˌla-rən-ˈgä-lə-jē\

"Nailed it!"