failed calculus.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philophobicphilosopher

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i just finished my first semester and failed calc. i received a b- in gen chem 1. if i retake it and get an A, will i still have a chance for med school?

Members don't see this ad.

One failed class won't keep you out of medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
i just finished my first semester and failed calc. i received a b- in gen chem 1. if i retake it and get an A, will i still have a chance for med school?

Yes you still can make it! Especially if this was early on in your undergrad education. Aim for demonstrating a strong upward trend in your grades. Don't give up! As the previous poster said, one bad grade won't keep you out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
should i try to retake it next semester, or should I wait?
I think the more important question to figure out is why you failed the first time. Were you having difficulty adjusting to college? Do you struggle with math in general or calculus specifically? What about your study habits needs improvement?

You might consider reaching out to someone at your school's learning center who can help you come up with a better study plan. Or seek a tutor / arrange to meet with your Calculus prof in office hours. You should retake whenever you feel like you have a solid plan for improvement! One F won't keep you out of medical school but you want to make sure that you set yourself up to do well going forward.

well i know i not weak in math. im actually very good in math, but i did have a rough transition. maybe i will retake it in the summer.

i not weak in math. im actually very good in math
I really hate to break it to you... if you failed calc (I'm assuming calc I, but it really doesn't matter which calc) - you probably aren't very good at math.

I know a few kids who had A's in math classes in high school and flunked college math because they thought they were good at math - the high school was just heavily curved, spoon fed, and simplified at a rigor that did not prepare them for college.

I'd believe the "it was just a transition" if you told me you got a 4/5 on AP Calc BC and failed Calc I...

rough transition

I don't think you have identified the real reason you failed calc.
Did you do all the homework? go to class? get help after the first sign of failing?

It won't destroy your chances of going to med school - but it certainly doesn't help. I echo the advice above me - figure out the real reason why you failed.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll be fine! Never give up. Being good at math is seeking to understand what it is you're really doing, not just solving a given problem in front of you. Make good use of the tutoring labs and youtube (mathispower4u is great!)

Retake and study hard. Do not allow one grade to make you disheartened. Sometimes it takes a second time around for the material to truly sink in, but you will definitely have your "Eureka!" moment if you persist. Trust me, it happens all the time in math.

Last edited: