failed COMLEX 2 CE.....am I screwed for residency and next steps.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NY2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I haven't posted in a while but I just found out this week that I failed COMLEX 2CE, I had previously failed comlex 1 with a 397 but passed on the retake with a 412. I got a 374 on this COMLEX. I just finished the PE this week and found out my CE score as I came out of the PE. I was wondering if anyone was in this position before and if they were able to eventually matched somewhere in like IM or FM.

So my question is 2 folds. For my current problem. I am still on rotation for my 4 weeks but will be taken off rotations for 6 weeks. So I have two options in terms of studying.
1) use OnlineMedEd as a resource with Uworld (I only have about 500 questions left on that Q bank from the first attempt), COMQUEST and COMBANK. I will just use onlinemeded and the three Q banks for the entire 10 weeks I have to study.
2) I can study for the next OnlineMedEd for 4 weeks during my rotation and then go to the PASS Program in Illinois for 5 weeks and then have about 1 week to get all the materials in before attempting my exam on November 16.
I am split between choice 1 and 2 because during my first attempt I did a WolfPacc in Florida for 4 weeks and then 2 weeks at home before attempting the test. My advisor is pushing for choice 2 since PASS has a good track record with students passing but I know one of the thing that got me in the last prep course was just the information being thrown and not being able to get all that material in my head before going in the first time.

So my second problem, has anyone had a situation like this (failed and then pass level 1 and 2) and how did it work out for them in terms of match?

Members don't see this ad.

So I haven't posted in a while but I just found out this week that I failed COMLEX 2CE, I had previously failed comlex 1 with a 397 but passed on the retake with a 412. I got a 374 on this COMLEX. I just finished the PE this week and found out my CE score as I came out of the PE. I was wondering if anyone was in this position before and if they were able to eventually matched somewhere in like IM or FM.

So my question is 2 folds. For my current problem. I am still on rotation for my 4 weeks but will be taken off rotations for 6 weeks. So I have two options in terms of studying.
1) use OnlineMedEd as a resource with Uworld (I only have about 500 questions left on that Q bank from the first attempt), COMQUEST and COMBANK. I will just use onlinemeded and the three Q banks for the entire 10 weeks I have to study.
2) I can study for the next OnlineMedEd for 4 weeks during my rotation and then go to the PASS Program in Illinois for 5 weeks and then have about 1 week to get all the materials in before attempting my exam on November 16.
I am split between choice 1 and 2 because during my first attempt I did a WolfPacc in Florida for 4 weeks and then 2 weeks at home before attempting the test. My advisor is pushing for choice 2 since PASS has a good track record with students passing but I know one of the thing that got me in the last prep course was just the information being thrown and not being able to get all that material in my head before going in the first time.

So my second problem, has anyone had a situation like this (failed and then pass level 1 and 2) and how did it work out for them in terms of match?
I'm really sorry to hear about the failure.

I am sure that somewhere out there, there are people who have failed these exams and were successful in matching. I am not sure how difficult it was or how long it took, but I am sure it exists.

Personally, I think choice 2 is better. If you can I would let the program know that you have trouble with keeping up with the material and see if they have any additional resources or people to help you with memorizing the material.

So I did the PASS program after my level 1 failure. There were other things going on in my life other than struggling with the material, but I got over a 500 on my retake. PASS program works, but it takes more than 4 weeks to digest the information. It's a crap ton of info they throw at you and it took me another 4 weeks to go through it and understand it. I did fine on level 2 with their on-demand program also with 4 weeks of prep, but I'd already seen a significant amount of the info before so it was easy to get the new stuff in those 4 weeks. Obviously you're off schedule, if you're going to do PASS I'd highly recommend extending your time to 8 weeks to digest the information.

Also, Wolfpacc was someone who used to work for the PASS program. I assume they're similar programs taught in a similar way. I don't know how much more you;d get out of pass.

So I did the PASS program after my level 1 failure. There were other things going on in my life other than struggling with the material, but I got over a 500 on my retake. PASS program works, but it takes more than 4 weeks to digest the information. It's a crap ton of info they throw at you and it took me another 4 weeks to go through it and understand it. I did fine on level 2 with their on-demand program also with 4 weeks of prep, but I'd already seen a significant amount of the info before so it was easy to get the new stuff in those 4 weeks. Obviously you're off schedule, if you're going to do PASS I'd highly recommend extending your time to 8 weeks to digest the information.

Also, Wolfpacc was someone who used to work for the PASS program. I assume they're similar programs taught in a similar way. I don't know how much more you;d get out of pass.
I think you make a good point, even though I want to do PASS I know from after going through WolfPacc that both courses have days that are like 8-5 with studying in the evenings and I often find myself not being able to complete everything I needed to do for that day so I push it onto the weekend and the only way I feel like I am able to completely catch up is if I have all 8 weeks. I am only given 6 weeks and that would let me graduate with my class and be able to start residency in July. If I do take an additional 2 weeks on top of my 6 I wouldn't be able to match this year. So I am really hoping all the test taking tips I got from WolfPacc would help me during my study period. It is scary to go at it alone but I feel that If I do PASS without an additional two weeks, it would put me in the same hole I am in now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you make a good point, even though I want to do PASS I know from after going through WolfPacc that both courses have days that are like 8-5 with studying in the evenings and I often find myself not being able to complete everything I needed to do for that day so I push it onto the weekend and the only way I feel like I am able to completely catch up is if I have all 8 weeks. I am only given 6 weeks and that would let me graduate with my class and be able to start residency in July. If I do take an additional 2 weeks on top of my 6 I wouldn't be able to match this year. So I am really hoping all the test taking tips I got from WolfPacc would help me during my study period. It is scary to go at it alone but I feel that If I do PASS without an additional two weeks, it would put me in the same hole I am in now.
I absolutely think doing PASS without the 2 weeks would put you in the same hole you’re in now if you did pass. It’s just not possible to get all the information you need. It was literally with the question sessions 7:00am-5/5:30pm every day.
I would use my Wolfpacc materials and supplement with Onlinemeded.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you failed two boards exams. It is a tough experience, indeed. However, your journey has not ended yet and you still have another chance to take the exam and pass( that should be a motive to you to continue studying hard and pass this silly exam), don't think what if you fail again, only think that you will change the way you studied and study a bit more and you will pass( for sure). You won't let one exam takes control of the rest of your future. You decided and took control of your life to be a doctor, now retake the exam and pass it !. Regarding matching, I know of an IMG( as Iam) ( a close friend of mine) who failed two board exams. Yes, two !, and I thought that was the end of his/her medical career of being a doctor. He proved me and every one else wrong. He matched into family medicine. I don't know how he did it or how hard it( probably was very hard), but I know from his experience, it is possible to match even after two board exams failures. If it was possible to him as an IMG, don't you think it is possible for you to match as an AMG ?. I think it is more than possible, good luck.

Reactions: 1 user