Failed COMLEX I, What To Do Next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ck7243

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am completely and utterly heartbroken at my results of 398, but I need to move on. Please, if anyone could give me an idea of what is the best material to use this time? I had been using DIT, First Aid, and Combank. I also read through Savarese but I didn't have time to do the exams in the back of the book. I had taken 2 Comsae exams (414 Comsae B and 408 Comsae C). After I realized my Comsae exams were not good, I rescheduled my exam to give me more time to study but the results are still the same.

My goal is to redo DIT, reread First Aid, reread savarese, sign up for UWorld, and buy Pathoma. I was thinking of retaking in October. I am on rotations right now.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what else I should do? I wasn't sure if I should get UWorld or some other question bank. Also, I heard about Boards Boot Camp. Anyone recommend that program?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear that, what was you study schedule and plan exactly? I would ditch UWorld and do Comquest, and Combank again. Pathoma is fantastic, and a good idea. I still have time before i take my boards, so the advice is with a grain of salt. Read Comlex 2012 experiences thread and see what other people are doing and what their scores are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd recommend doing the Combank and literally reading every single answer explanation. Take notes while you do it. Do 150-200 questions a day and you can knock it out in 2 weeks. My Comsae numbers jumped by about 150 points when I did that.

+/- any other study program you personally find useful.

Focus on quality, not quantity. Pick a qbank, pick a book. Do just those and know them cold.

I would totally recommend PATHOMA!!! It really helped me understand pathophys!!! I am taking comsae B this week so ill let you know my results

Ehh I don't think combank is going to really help OP learn the material. Im guessing there is some lack of understanding of some of the major concepts, so think a more comprehensive source is a better idea. Combank may help the OP figure out the style of questions, but it is terrible for actual learning.

I am completely and utterly heartbroken at my results of 398, but I need to move on. Please, if anyone could give me an idea of what is the best material to use this time? I had been using DIT, First Aid, and Combank. I also read through Savarese but I didn't have time to do the exams in the back of the book. I had taken 2 Comsae exams (414 Comsae B and 408 Comsae C). After I realized my Comsae exams were not good, I rescheduled my exam to give me more time to study but the results are still the same.

My goal is to redo DIT, reread First Aid, reread savarese, sign up for UWorld, and buy Pathoma. I was thinking of retaking in October. I am on rotations right now.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what else I should do? I wasn't sure if I should get UWorld or some other question bank. Also, I heard about Boards Boot Camp. Anyone recommend that program?

You were so close so keep your head up! I agree that you should pick 1 question bank and maybe 1 or 2 books and stick with those (and know them well). Since you did COMBANK the first time, I would recommend COMQUEST and FA this time around. If you know those two sources well, you will pass. Also take a COMSAE before and consider postponing the COMLEX if you don't score at least a 450 so that you have some cushion. Good luck :luck:

how sure were you when you were picking answers. like how many questions did you mark. and did you use process of elimination.

I studied by using the Kaplan videos which laid a great foundation with a pass through of FA, then used Pathoma as another pass thru FA, and also used Comquest and Uworld. I would recommend doing this and then if you know a certain area you are really bad at read an extra book. Uworld, Kaplan, and Pathoma really cemented everything in my brain with repetition.

I don't know what happened, but I can't help but feel so stupid right now. I think the anxiety leading up to the exam may have contributed to my score or overall lack of confidence going in.

It seems like people are recommending Comquest. Should I ditch the idea of getting UWorld? Aside from that, I was going to go through first aid and do DIT to keep me focused. Also, I am buying Pathoma soon so I will start that. How does this plan sound? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the replies all.

well you were really close, but your comsaes still show you have fundamentals to work on. Hit those kaplan and pathoma videos. ditch the uworld since the q type doesnt do you any favors and the emphasis on other non-HY comlex topics doesnt help you out. You need to just retake this exam and pass and move on with rotations. work hard on step 2, but i would just aim to pass this one. Do comquest, and thoroughly go thru all the explanations. Understand them and understand FA dont just read it. Take another practice test see what u get. ... i dont know how much time you have u may want to consider combank, dit, or another boards review program such as boards boot camp.

Hit heavy the HY comlex topics you know bugsdrugs etc.
Check with your school you may have other options such as taking a month off, swapping electives, or leave of absence.

Last edited: