Failed COMLEX PE; feeling very hopeless right now; Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilyhopeless

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Long time lurker here and I just found out that I failed PE on Biomechanical sections and passed on Humanistic. TBH, I was surprised by the result but then again, no one went into an exam and expected to fail. To cut long story short, guys, please advice me what I need to do. Please be brutally honest regarding my matching chances. My stats are below:

-Above averaged DO student (pre-clerkship) at good DO school (whatever that means) but will need a visa
-Would like to match into IM at good community or academic center (but any will do)
-COMLEX level 1 600, level 2 620
-Step 1 240 and 240s
-all passed on the first attempts
-No skip year and no failed clerkship
-Strong LoR and Evaluation from attending
-Good extracurricular activities and has research

Really heartbroken right now and can barely function today. Set up a meeting with career guidance and exam review at my school
Need to ask you guys what are my chances; I am going to apply broadly (>100)

Also please tell me what should be the strategy for my application and retake!!!

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I passed my PE on 2nd attempt and matched to a good mid tiered local program of my town.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Everyone, please give me something! I am just so defeated right now and in a really dark place as if by myself. I am not hoping for a way forward and perspective into matching

It's not hopeless. Clearly it would be much better if you passed PE, but it is what it is.

At this point, you really only have one option, apply this year with your failed PE and plan to have a passing result by ROL deadline. Whether you get a passing result ASAP vs later in the season probably won't matter much -- at this point, I expect the soonest you could get a score result would probably be mid Nov. By that time, most programs will have finished reviewing applications. So you might as well schedule it so that you have enough time to prepare so you pass the next time. You want a passing result by mid January if possible.

It's not hopeless. Clearly it would be much better if you passed PE, but it is what it is.

At this point, you really only have one option, apply this year with your failed PE and plan to have a passing result by ROL deadline. Whether you get a passing result ASAP vs later in the season probably won't matter much -- at this point, I expect the soonest you could get a score result would probably be mid Nov. By that time, most programs will have finished reviewing applications. So you might as well schedule it so that you have enough time to prepare so you pass the next time. You want a passing result by mid January if possible.

It is nice to have you reply to this thread!!! Thank you! In your experience, how many apps should I put if you can share? You are correct that the latest score is mid-November. Right now I am trying to prep my app for sept 15, then will try to pester my letter writer to put good words on my behalf. Do you think this is a good thing to do?

In the meantime, I am prepping for my pe retake.

Hopefully your LOR writers have already written your letters. They should be done and in by now.

I cant tell you how many programs to apply to. There are too many variables. Hopefully your school can give you some direction -- the best advice would be to find someone from your school last year with a similar situation and see what happened with them. More important than how many applications you submit is where you submit them to. You could apply to MGH, BWH, Penn, Stanford, Mayo, etc and 50 similar programs and get no interviews, but if you apply to 50 programs where you have a decent chance. Perhaps the NRMP residency navigator will help.

Thank you for your reply! As well, can someone explain to me what does it mean when programs' requirement only mention Step 2 CS failure as a rule out! They mention nothing about PE. Furthermore, other programs only state must pass Step 1 and 2 or COMLEX 1 or 2 before applying. Do they also mean PE in there too? Sorry, this has been very distressing and I am trying to figure all these programs out?

As well, on the ERAS, some progams have no NRMP match number, what does that mean?

Thank you for your reply! As well, can someone explain to me what does it mean when programs' requirement only mention Step 2 CS failure as a rule out! They mention nothing about PE. Furthermore, other programs only state must pass Step 1 and 2 or COMLEX 1 or 2 before applying. Do they also mean PE in there too? Sorry, this has been very distressing and I am trying to figure all these programs out?

As well, on the ERAS, some progams have no NRMP match number, what does that mean?
I am wondering the same thing regarding Comlex 2PE. Will programs interview you if you do not have a passing score updated on ERAS? When programs say a complete application includes Comlex 1 and Comlex 2 transcripts, it's hard to discern if they are referring to Comlex 2 CE or both Comlex 2 CE and comlex 2PE.

I am wondering the same thing regarding Comlex 2PE. Will programs interview you if you do not have a passing score updated on ERAS? When programs say a complete application includes Comlex 1 and Comlex 2 transcripts, it's hard to discern if they are referring to Comlex 2 CE or both Comlex 2 CE and comlex 2PE.

ikr, that is why I am hoping some program directors lurking in here can shed some lights on these questions!

I believe the consensus is that you would have to pass the equivalent of CS which is PE by the time ranking order is due. So if you have a failure, mention to the PD that you have scheduled for another date and will update them when you have passed.

When they say that I should pass Step 1 and Step 2 or COMLEX Level 1 and 2, do they mean that I should also pass COMLEX PE also? As well, what should I do with programs that told me that they don't care or want my COMLEX transcript if I have USMLE?

Also, am I doing it the wrong way too? Should I have added more Family Medicine as back up? I already that FM and IM are similarly competitive and maybe wrongly, it seems to me that IM seems to be less competitive as there are just so many spots.

For your ref, I have added 108 IM on my list, most are community hospital

Last edited:
When they say that I should pass Step 1 and Step 2 or COMLEX Level 1 and 2, do they mean that I should also pass COMLEX PE also? As well, what should I do with programs that told me that they don't care or want my COMLEX transcript if I have USMLE?

Also, am I doing it the wrong way too? Should I have added more Family Medicine as back up? I already that FM and IM are similarly competitive and maybe wrongly, it seems to me that IM seems to be less competitive as there are just so many spots.

For your ref, I have added 108 IM on my list, most are community hospital
Each program is different, and when they say they want step/level 1 and 2 it's impossible for us to give a blanket answer that applies to each program. Short of emailing the PC at each program, you're just going to apply and hope for the best.

Every year some applicants get the idea that IM is less competitive than FM because of the number of slots. While that is attractive, it's just not true when you get to the stats like mean USMLE, percentage of unfilled spots, etc. Doesn't mean that someone like you CAN'T match in IM, but FM is definitely less competitive. Whether that means that you should add more FM or not is impossible to say.

Agree with above - there's no one answer to many of these questions.

If a program specifically says that failing CS is a deal-breaker, I would assume that failing PE is similar.

Programs that require S1 and S2 (or L1 and L2) are usually referring to S2CK / L2CE. Dates for CS / PE are such that not everyone can have them early in the application cycle, and most programs just expect you to pass it prior to rank lists. How will a failed CS/PE affect apps to these programs? It's anyone's guess -- some may not care and just want a passing score by ROL, others will decline to interview you. Your best guide is what's happened to prior applicants from your school.

No NRMP code = prior AOA program new to the match who hasn't yet registered, or program that has decided to take all out of the match (only open to DO and IMG applicants). More likely the former, contact programs for more details - ask if they plan to participate in the NRMP match.

Status
Not open for further replies.