Failed COMLEX Step 2 CE Multiple Times

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOInLimbo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps some of you can relate to this......or maybe not. Actually I'm quite sure that most of you will not. In any case, I'm seeking advice as I am in a serious and unfortunate situation.

As of right now, I have not passed the COMLEX Step 2 CE. I have taken it seven (7) times. My scores are as follows:

Attempt #1: 119/55
Attempt #2: 262/65
Attempt #3: 339/71
Attempt #4: 269/66
Attempt #5: 339/71
Attempt #6: 370/73
Attempt #7: 262/65

I've tried everything under the sun including First Aid to Step 2, Step 2 Secrets, Boards & Wards, Prescription For USMLE Step 2, the green OMM book & Boards Boot Camp resources. I've done questions from USMLE World, ComBank and ComQuest. At this point I am extremely frustrated, as this test is the only thing that stands between me and my DO. Until I pass Step 2 my DO degree is on hold at my school.

The situation is obviously a bad one. I realize that entirely. It's especially frustrating because I have worked for so long just so I could be a doctor. I do relatively well on questions from the above question banks and I talk out information with other people....but for some reason things just don't translate on test day. I wasn't the strongest student in medical school but I wasn't the weakest one either.

I understand that this will not look good to programs when I am in a position to finally apply. Right now I am aspiring to become a pediatrician in the northeast......though over the last 4 years, pediatric programs have become increasingly more difficult to match into (both allopathic and osteopathic). Consequently, my backup is family medicine.

I have two important questions:

1) Does anyone here know anyone that has been in this situation and if so, what did they do get themselves out of it?

2) Does my Step 2 track record pretty much guarantee that I cannot match anywhere for any specialty? With a COMLEX transcript like this, will I even be able to practice down the line?

Any advice from anyone is welcome and appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am sorry to hear that and I wish I could tell you what I had done but I have not passed the test yet so unfortunately I cannot give you any advice. :( I will say that you should not be discouraged and you should NOT GIVE UP!! I have faith that you will someday be the pediatrician you were born to be. Don't let these NBOME dick f***s push you and I around. Also, what did you do the sixth time you took it because that was your highest score? With a score so close to passing, it was more about luck that time you took it rather than knowing the information!! Good luck and I know that you can do it!! :)

1- Which question banks have you used? 2 osteopathic banks plus usmle world put most people in good shape.
2- Getting residency will be tough...you might have to try for a transitional year and pass step 3 before you could try for a residency you like.
3- You are lucky that your school will allow you to keep taking the exam. Some schools limit the number of attempts.
4- feel free to pm if you have more questions.

I never failed, but I didn't do great on step 1, and did much better on step 2.

Here's what I did:

1. Deal with any test anxiety you may have. Ambien works great for the night before jitters.

2. Kaplan Step 2 Videos. Cough up the money for the real ones, the pirated ones are old and outdated. These saved my life. Watch the, all a zillion times. As much as you can. Do questions in each subject after you watch a block.

3. USMLE step 2 secrets. Memorize it. Every line.

4 green OMM book. Go through every question in the back. Easier if you assign each question to a chapter in the book so you can do subject blocks for OMM too, I found.

5. Realize you will still get questions you dont know and that's ok.

6. Don't overlook any subject, but focus HARD on FM topics, OB, Peds, and IM.

This is basically what I did and I found Step 2 to be a cake walk compared to step 1. My score improved around 100 points, from slightly below average to well above average.

You can do it!