Failed CS : send emails to PDs ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solitarydancer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So, I'm participating in this year's match, and I already got 3 interviews so far.
My creds are : IMG from western Europe, 237/264, need GC, 2 pubs, YOG 2011, 4 LORS (1 very good from the US)
My problem is that I got my Step 2 CS results last week, and I failed... :( I was very sick that day, and was pretty sure I failed.

I really think I'll stop getting interviews now.

The good news is that I got a very early CS date, and I'm taking it again in 2 weeks, right before my interviews.

My question is : do you think it's worth sending emails to each department that hasn't replied yet I applied to, to explain them my situation? To tell them : "yes I failed CS, but I'm taking it again in 2 weeks, in time for the match".
I had 3 interviews and no rejections so far, out of 40 applications.

What do you think ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

So, I'm participating in this year's match, and I already got 3 interviews so far.
My creds are : IMG from western Europe, 237/264, need GC, 2 pubs, YOG 2011, 4 LORS (1 very good from the US)
My problem is that I got my Step 2 CS results last week, and I failed... :( I was very sick that day, and was pretty sure I failed.

I really think I'll stop getting interviews now.

The good news is that I got a very early CS date, and I'm taking it again in 2 weeks, right before my interviews.

My question is : do you think it's worth sending emails to each department that hasn't replied yet I applied to, to explain them my situation? To tell them : "yes I failed CS, but I'm taking it again in 2 weeks, in time for the match".
I had 3 interviews and no rejections so far, out of 40 applications.

What do you think ?

Thank you very much for your help !

If you want to give programs you haven't heard from a good reason to reject you, telling them you failed CS is a great way to do that. Otherwise, head down, chin up, re-take CS and move forward. And NEVER, EVER use the "I was sick" excuse again. Figure out what you need to improve on and if anyone asks, tell them that.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you very much for your reply,

My intent was to tell those programs, who might thing that I won't be able to participate in the Match anyway, that I will, since I'm taking CS again in time.
My perspective was that I won't get anymore interviews anyway now, so I don't think I'm taking a big risk doing that?

Is that really stupid ?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Did you choose the "auto-update" option on ERAS? Do your programs require a passing CS score by rank day?

If you take it in 2 weeks you are unfortunately right on the cusp of whether or not your score will be in by match day.

Did you choose the "auto-update" option on ERAS? Do your programs require a passing CS score by rank day?

If you take it in 2 weeks you are unfortunately right on the cusp of whether or not your score will be in by match day.

The OP is an IMG and therefore needs CS to be "ECFMG eligible" and will be automatically removed from the Match if there is not a passing score before (IIRC) the ROL deadline.

Yes, I am an IMG, and therefore need to have CS in order to be "ECFMG certified", and parcipate in the Match.
I'm taking it in 10 days actually, and according to CS results periods, I will have my result early february.

I agree with the advice above. If you autoreleased, then the cat is out of the bag and you might as well address it head on. If you didn't, you don't mention it at all.

The problem that can arise is if someone asks you, innocently, "so when you do expect your CS results?". Honestly if you get asked this, the person that's asking likely thinks that this is an easy question -- you either answer with a date or with "Oh, I passed 2 weeks ago, thanks!". But if you get asked it, I think you need to tell the whole truth. No matter what, you need to tell the truth. So, you could theoretically answer that question "I just took it before this interview, so I expect my score in about 3 weeks". That's true, but not really the whole truth. Programs might consider that fraudulent when they ultimately find out about your failure. It could turn into "he said/she said" -- you state that you told the truth (as above), they say that you lied by omission.

Anyway, you'll need to figure out what you want to do.