failed CS today. please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lauren85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
did a full ROS
counseled every patient
did lung and heart exam on every patient regardless of CC
draped every patient
summarized on every patient
gave differential DDx

failed the ICE component. specifically the data gathering with an * all the way to the left???? this is so weird because the note score is good! everything else was good except for that? how can the data gathering section be all the way to the left if the note is to the right? doesn't make sense.

can anyone relate? what to do ? how screwed am I with step 1-229 step 2-244 for university IM programs?????

is it worth giving NBME a call?

Members don't see this ad.

did a full ROS
counseled every patient
did lung and heart exam on every patient regardless of CC
draped every patient
summarized on every patient
gave differential DDx

failed the ICE component. specifically the data gathering with an * all the way to the left???? this is so weird because the note score is good! everything else was good except for that? how can the data gathering section be all the way to the left if the note is to the right? doesn't make sense.

can anyone relate? what to do ? how screwed am I with step 1-229 step 2-244 for university IM programs?????

is it worth giving NBME a call?

I'm sorry to hear that :oops: Calling might not hurt, I mean, it's pretty subjective after all. I think most PDs know that too. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. Just retake it asap.

So the ICE portion is data gathering + patient note, right? And you're saying your patient note is scored good? So must be something with data gathering, which includes the history and physical exam.

Did you...
-introduce self, state pt name?
-wash hands + drape every visit?
-open->close ended questions?
-ask pertinent +'s/-'s?
-do more than just the heart/lung physical exam if needed?
-touch pain areas last? not more than once?
-explain what you're doing? ask permission to untie gown? retie gown afterward?
-respond to patients' actions during the exam?
-summarize + state thoughts/plan?
-counsel?
-ask if any q's or concerns?

jah, i did whatever you wrote for every single patient...
i have no idea how it turned out this way... its weird

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so sorry! Did you follow any mnemonic while taking history? It was helpful for me!

I took my CS exam in philly as well in early july and I think I was worse than you...
I didnt get to counsel in like 5 patients and I feel like i only connected with 3 pts (I actually thought that one pt had depression cos his affect was so blunt)
I havent got my results back, but your actually making me really nervous...
Im not really sure why you failed if you did all those things- maybe check that you asked all the questions related to the HPI?
Good Luck!

some people have said the failure rate is higher in philly

Took mine in Philly the first time. Failed it. Took it again in LA and thought I did worse than I had in my failed attempt....lo and behold, passed the LA one.

I thought I failed the exam in Philly...but to my surprise I passed it ...and I had a few oops moments here and there.. I don't think it's the center, because I certainly wasn't perfect.. I don't think you have anything to lose if you give 'em a call. GL

are we sure the failure rate is higher? or is really that the absolute #s are higher because more people take it in philly since a lot of med schools are concentrated around that testing center?