Failed CS with bizarre breakdown...can I challenge? Seems to be an error...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RosenthalFiber

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I failed CS. The ICE portion which was more shocking- and even more shocking was that it was 100% to the left. Are you saying all of my notes were that terrible? BC every case was extremely easy and I wrote some of the best notes/ddxs I could have done.

This makes no sense...I feel sick. I'm a US grad at a top 10 school. The thought of taking this again is sickening mainly bc I felt I did an ideal job the first time and just as easily could get screwed again...

Members don't see this ad.

Def worth doing a score recheck. I don't think they regrade anything, but maybe there was a compilation error because that just does not sound plausible. Also worth speaking with your student affairs dean to see if they have suggestions.

Def worth doing a score recheck. I don't think they regrade anything, but maybe there was a compilation error because that just does not sound plausible. Also worth speaking with your student affairs dean to see if they have suggestions.

I know!! I honored my schools clinical skills exam (similar to osce) and how could I fail literally every case on this?

I'm very depressed bc I was getting great interviews and stuff too...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat as you unfortunately Rosenthalfiber and I just talked to my dean and asked about the rescore. He is on the committee writing cases but doesn't have anything to do with scoring. He said that it's unlikely to change, (I failed the CIS portion with 3 X's in the borderline category), but he did say that the ICE section is where it would most likely be able to change because different people can review your notes but he would only recommend it for a borderline performance. I think you might consider it because it's so different from your expectations however.

On the bright side (if there is one to all of this), he did say it's unlikely programs use it to rank because the large majority of people pass (ugh). He said they just need it before June/July when we get our trainee licenses so I don't think there is a rush to get it re-taken ASAP.

On the rescoring bit, wouldn't you need to reschedule it before you got your results anyways? So we'd still be out 1400...I guess we could save on hotels if it was overturned...

Last edited:
So I failed CS. The ICE portion which was more shocking- and even more shocking was that it was 100% to the left. Are you saying all of my notes were that terrible? BC every case was extremely easy and I wrote some of the best notes/ddxs I could have done.

This makes no sense...I feel sick. I'm a US grad at a top 10 school. The thought of taking this again is sickening mainly bc I felt I did an ideal job the first time and just as easily could get screwed again...

This happens. Which is why the test is bull****. The problem is so many people pass on the first try, no one gives a crap about the injustice that usually happens to those the fail for non-substantive silly reasons.

When they grade the note all look for is that ALL of the sections are accounted for specifically. Even if nothing is in there. You have to SPELL OUT EACH SECTION, even if all you say is "refer to HPI" or "non-contributory" or something like that. It's all a check box game.

You can attempt an appeal, which will take about a lot of valuable time. I'd suggest just taking again soon, and if asked about the fail, you can simply say your wrote the note in a way they could not score it highly. You adjusted your note writing, and then passed. Done.

Reactions: 1 user
This happens. Which is why the test is bullcrap. The problem is so many people pass on the first try, no one gives a crap about the injustice that usually happens to those the fail for non-substantive silly reasons.

When they grade the note all look for is that ALL of the sections are accounted for specifically. Even if nothing is in there. You have to SPELL OUT EACH SECTION, even if all you say is "refer to HPI" or "non-contributory" or something like that. It's all a check box game.

You can attempt an appeal, which will take about a lot of valuable time. I'd suggest just taking again soon, and if asked about the fail, you can simply say your wrote the note in a way they could not score it highly. You adjusted your note writing, and then passed. Done.

Already signing up again and paying the 65 dollar re-score fee (0-1% chance but oh well.).

This sucks but for my purposes I'm in the same boat as MS4s who decided to wait to take it late. Pass it this time and be done.

Thanks for the motivation- I don't think this will serve to be an red flag on my entire career for my purposes at least

I'm in the same boat as you unfortunately Rosenthalfiber and I just talked to my dean and asked about the rescore. He is on the committee writing cases but doesn't have anything to do with scoring. He said that it's unlikely to change, (I failed the CIS portion with 3 X's in the borderline category), but he did say that the ICE section is where it would most likely be able to change because different people can review your notes but he would only recommend it for a borderline performance. I think you might consider it because it's so different from your expectations however.

On the bright side (if there is one to all of this), he did say it's unlikely programs use it to rank because the large majority of people pass (ugh). He said they just need it before June/July when we get our trainee licenses so I don't think there is a rush to get it re-taken ASAP.

On the rescoring bit, wouldn't you need to reschedule it before you got your results anyways? So we'd still be out 1400...I guess we could save on hotels if it was overturned...

Sorry to hear QuestionGuy. Message me if you need to talk about it or anything...I know its not exactly something you wanna tell your friends at school.

tag for outcome of rescore

sucks dude

Definitely sounds suspicious. I wonder if something crazy happened like the computer wiped out all your notes, so they ended up giving you a zero on your ICE section. I really can't see how you would've scored that low.

(I failed the CIS portion with 3 X's in the borderline category).

Just curious. Were the X's not in borderline to the left or right? I had x's in the borderline as well for CIS but it was to the right mostly. I passed, but I'm not sure how close I was to failing (maybe I'd rather not know haha).

Just curious. Were the X's not in borderline to the left or right? I had x's in the borderline as well for CIS but it was to the right mostly. I passed, but I'm not sure how close I was to failing (maybe I'd rather not know haha).
to the left, I assume having it down the middle would give you a pass but who knows. Also, I am guessing (maybe hoping given my circumstances) that the grading for CIS is subjective so take that pass and don't even give it a second thought!

Last edited:

and that's why this exam is such bs...... did you forget to list certain sections? ROS, PMH, alergies, PSH, SH etc?

and that's why this exam is such bs...... did you forget to list certain sections? ROS, PMH, alergies, PSH, SH etc?

I did that on every single note. May have been my physical exams seemed to "going through the motions"? I doubt it though...I felt very good

The ICE component consists of history, physical, and note. It sounds like you think you did fine on physical and note.

Is it possible that you missed some key parts of the HPI?

This exam is just weird. You can try to have them recalculate but I would study/practice for it in the meantime and book a date to retake so that you get It over with. Maybe try a different center may help you psychologically. I knew someone who failed it as well, retook it and passed. Getting them to recalculate didn't make a difference.

i thought the exam was pretty straight forward. I'd be wtf pissed like the op if i failed. 2 more months of waiting... This makes me somewhat nervous.

It is a BS exam.....

I am sorry but if you appeal, nothing will happen.Those aholes won't admit that they did bad grading.

Just sAve time and retake it again[/quote]