Failed first physics exam, how to improve from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BeginAgain

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just failed my first physics 1 exam (algebra based), and got a 30 on it. Clearly the material didn't click and I don't feel like the book is a great resource for me since I don't have solutions to the practice problems. Another issue was that the questions on the exam were three times as hard as the examples in the book.
What are some resources I can use to self teach physics with guided practice problems and solutions? I feel like this is the only way I'll improve my score for the next exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to tutoring before your exam.

Edit: and don't feel ashamed for having to go either, I went after bombing my first ochem I exam and my grades drastically improved going to see a university tutor just for an hour 3 times a week.

Reactions: 2 users
First ask yourself what exactly went wrong. Go from there. If you skip this step, you probably won't improve.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I just failed my first physics 1 exam (algebra based), and got a 30 on it. Clearly the material didn't click and I don't feel like the book is a great resource for me since I don't have solutions to the practice problems. Another issue was that the questions on the exam were three times as hard as the examples in the book.
What are some resources I can use to self teach physics with guided practice problems and solutions? I feel like this is the only way I'll improve my score for the next exam.

Bribe the professor.

@Podstar gave a great answer. When I struggled, I put my enormous ego aside and got help. An A is an A.

Things turned around after that. My tutor had even taken the same professor I struggled with and gave me all the tips for the exam. Depending on where you go, you might even have free options.

To answer your question completely, there's also Khan Academy (haven't tried it for physics), but it was useful for my class. NOTHING, can beat face-to-face personalized help from a good tutor, so I suggest KA after trying out tutoring.

Good luck OP!

Last edited:
Try Chegg study, it may have step by step explanations for your textbook instead of the solutions manuel just giving you the answer. Its a cheap resource (15$ a month) it has helped me a lot so far!

If you know the problem is in not doing enough examples, I'd go ask a TA, professor, or tutor for ways to get more practice problems. Physics is one of those subjects where it helps to look at different examples to understand it, so I find it a bit odd that it isn't as emphasized based on what you said--I could be wrong, but at least when I took physics, we were encouraged to seek out other practice problems on top of the ones assigned.

If the problem is in not getting the concepts, definitely seek tutors; if your school as a physics tutoring center that would be a great place to start.

Best of luck to you!

If the test is largely math based, doing more problems should help. If the test is more conceptual, you need to have a deeper understanding of each topic. For me, it was just questioning everything and just hoping for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Go to tutoring before your exam.

Edit: and don't feel ashamed for having to go either, I went after bombing my first ochem I exam and my grades drastically improved going to see a university tutor just for an hour 3 times a week.

I 100% agree, don't let embarrassment be the reason you fail a class, most schools have phenomenal resources just waiting to be utilized.

90% of problems in physics comes from not knowing the formulae. I would suggest getting a legal pad and writing down each formula and definition as you learn them in class. Review every day after class and do practice problems.

You have to adapt your learning habits to fit into the class.

If you don't do well on your next test, consider dropping the class.

What was the class average?

I also failed my first physics exam. And my second. And my third. And the final. And ended up with a B- in the class. Class average was like a 50% for each exam. Most students cheat because our Physics department has major problems. It's weird, because its set up to where you almost can't ace the class, but you also can't fail.

I know your feels, OP. Can you buy the solutions for your textbook? Or perhaps your library has a copy that you can take pictures of? Are you doing the assigned homework? If you are, make sure you redo the homework until your eyes bleed.