Failed my first exam in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullets

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my first exam in medical school today on anatomy. The test was 50 questions, multiple choice. The class average was an 80% but I scored a 56%. Anatomy is a new subject for me, having never been exposed to it prior to my first few weeks here in school. I'm not sure what resources I have to use. I've been going through Netter's flashcards, an Anki deck made by my classmates, and lecture slides. I felt like I could recognize most of the structures and tell you about their functions. But the exam was just so much harder. I didn't know I'd have to know specific locations of structures in relation to other parts (a really simple example would be that a thoracocentesis must be performed in the costodiaphragmatic recess, near the 8th intercostal space, between ribs 8 and 9). There are so many things to just keep track of and know everything--nerves, bones, arteries, veins, muscles--and I just feel so overwhelmed and I don't even know where or how to start. I'd really appreciate it if you could provide any tips or suggestions on how you studied for and succeeded in anatomy. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Book knowledge and repetition were key for me during anatomy in undergrad. I made flashcards for every muscle that listed their origin, insertion, action, nerve, and artery. Some of my classmates have been using an anatomy coloring book so you could look into that. Apparently it's time-consuming but relaxing and helps with long term retention. If you have 24/7 lab access, go in with some classmates and teach each other on the cadavers (this is great for practical exams). Take my advice with a grain of salt since our first exam isn't until Monday, but definitely don't be afraid to use other resources and reach out to your TAs/classmates who did well.

Anatomy is like learning a new language, you can't study for it like other classes. I would suggest sticking with lecture material for the lec portion of the exams (make your own flashcards/anki stuff), use one atlas (i used Rohen atlas and flashcards).

For the lecture exams, I summarized lec ppts and then made flashcards from them. I would also suggest drawing out stuff (like the poster above stated); it can def help to visualize all the vessels. After studying I relied on questions either ones from class profs or BRS.

For the lab portions, study whatever you should know (from dissector/class notes) and then attend as many open-labs as possible with friends. Try to identify it all on the cadaver; make sure to see other ppls bodies as well. Rohen's flashcards can help with lab exams as well since they have cadaveric pics.

GL!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For practice questions like that go to the U of Michigan anatomy website. They have quizzes and even "practical quizzes" you can take. Also the questions at the end of the chapters in the BRS anatomy book are very helpful.

Reactions: 7 users
Get a qbank and do as many practice questions as you can. Active learning is key in medical school. I used teachmeanatomy.info — they have a qbank of like 10,000 anatomy questions broken down by region.

Failed my first medical school exam too. Ended up with a 680’s COMLEX and good step score. Struggling now by no means defines the rest of your trajectory

Reactions: 7 users
It's okay. In medical school you're in with some of the most dedicated and brightest this country has to offer, and a lot of them will struggle and fail too. You learned a valuable lesson in this test, the key is to incorporate it in your studying from now on. As others have suggested, trying Qbanks will help you identify types of questions often asked in medical school exams (and boards), practicals and labs will also give you a boost. 1st and 2nd year is about trying to learning everything in how it will be in relation to each other. Like drinking from a fire-hose.

Everyone is VERY different in how they learn/memorize. Some do it just by re-reading everything over and over again. Flash cards, hands on, etc. The important thing is you learned from this exam and incorporate it. If you have trouble, odds are your medical school also offers tutoring and counseling as well to help you identify your weak spots and improve on them. Use these resources EARLY. Don't wait.

Reactions: 1 users
Totally happens to so many, even if few talk about it in M1. I failed some tests. It happens. The important thing is to dust yourself off and keep moving. You can’t wallow and get behind.

Reactions: 4 users
Anatomy was definitely what gave me the most trouble first year of medical school too. Improved a lot after using Rohen’s for lab, and the Grays Anatomy for Students Questions book. (Not the Gray’s atlas, I hated using that book and trying to superimpose the cartoons on the real thing.)
U Mich questions were good too.
Give it all you got and then some...
it’s tough, but for many (including me) it’s as tough as it gets first year med school

Reactions: 2 users
Our lab neighbors and my team used to swap cadaver stations to review before an exam. It helps to see the structures on another cadaver. Then you won’t miss any of the easier questions. It’s a lot to learn. Take your time and figure out what works for you. Notecards, lectures, lecture notes, rewriting charts, whatever. If your partners are done early, stay late and review in the lab as well.

I bombed my first anatomy exam too. It was a bad feeling.

You'll bounce back. Anatomy is a very hard way to start medical school. What is your next anatomy class on? I found it very helpful to simply make Anki cards for every lecture slide I could.

Now that I'm in MS2 I'm finding Boards and Beyond helpful as a refresher, or primer.

Welcome to med school. It’s normal for the first test to not go as planned: you don’t truly know to what extent you’re expected to understand things until you see that first exam. Now that you do, you can prepare better for the next one. Heads up; it’s not just anatomy. Welcome to the wonderful world of minutia.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One of the most useful bits of advice given at the start of M1 was that you will failed a quiz/test at some point. It just showed how tough everything is, and gives you that wiggle room. I failed a neuro quiz later that year, and took it in stride. Adapt and improve, you'll be just fine. =)

Book knowledge and repetition were key for me during anatomy in undergrad. I made flashcards for every muscle that listed their origin, insertion, action, nerve, and artery. Some of my classmates have been using an anatomy coloring book so you could look into that. Apparently it's time-consuming but relaxing and helps with long term retention. If you have 24/7 lab access, go in with some classmates and teach each other on the cadavers (this is great for practical exams). Take my advice with a grain of salt since our first exam isn't until Monday, but definitely don't be afraid to use other resources and reach out to your TAs/classmates who did well.

Ahh!! I hope it goes well for you!

Thanks for all the words of support, and for all the advice guys!! I was just feeling super down but I'm going to definitely get everything together and bounce back. Appreciate this community so much :cryi:

I think 3 people in my class had to repeat a class in the summer. One repeated first year. They all did fine. Keep grinding it out and don’t get behind. If you get behind you’ll find yourself in a very deep hole.

I just took my first exam in medical school today on anatomy. The test was 50 questions, multiple choice. The class average was an 80% but I scored a 56%. Anatomy is a new subject for me, having never been exposed to it prior to my first few weeks here in school. I'm not sure what resources I have to use. I've been going through Netter's flashcards, an Anki deck made by my classmates, and lecture slides. I felt like I could recognize most of the structures and tell you about their functions. But the exam was just so much harder. I didn't know I'd have to know specific locations of structures in relation to other parts (a really simple example would be that a thoracocentesis must be performed in the costodiaphragmatic recess, near the 8th intercostal space, between ribs 8 and 9). There are so many things to just keep track of and know everything--nerves, bones, arteries, veins, muscles--and I just feel so overwhelmed and I don't even know where or how to start. I'd really appreciate it if you could provide any tips or suggestions on how you studied for and succeeded in anatomy. Thanks!

I know it stings because I just found out I failed my first medical school exam :'( But it was 15% of my grade so, if I learn how to be a more efficient studier --which I am learning, I'll ace the rest and I'll be okay :) And so will you!! Hugs!

• Love
Failed my first exam too! Really stung since I felt so prepared. But I only failed by 2% so hopefully I'll do better from here on out since now I better understand what to expect

• Haha
I don't understand how this is your first time got exposed. I thought u need to take anatomy as requirement course to enter medical school

• Haha
I thought u need to take anatomy as requirement course to enter medical school

This is incorrect. Over 50% of my class has never taken anatomy (based on first week polling). Very few of us have even taken upper level biology courses such as micro, immuno, and embryology.

I don't understand how this is your first time got exposed. I thought u need to take anatomy as requirement course to enter medical school

Definitely not.

I was a bio major in undergrad. At least for my institution, you could not take human anatomy for course credit. I could only take an animal anatomy course. And besides, our human anatomy wasn’t even cadaver.

I THINK human anatomy is required at some schools, but it wasn’t at any I applied to.

Gray’s review book and Lippincott questions. Make sure you read/understand the explanations with the answers. These will give you an idea of what is most important. fill in the gaps with BRS anatomy. The grays atlas is fine to use to clarify things from grays review, but reading everything is overwhelming and poor use of time.

Questions are key.

Failed my first exam too! Really stung since I felt so prepared. But I only failed by 2% so hopefully I'll do better from here on out since now I better understand what to expect

I know it stings because I just found out I failed my first medical school exam :'( But it was 15% of my grade so, if I learn how to be a more efficient studier --which I am learning, I'll ace the rest and I'll be okay :) And so will you!! Hugs!

Aww :/ Failing an exam always sucks and feels terrible, but I've been talking to some MS2's and faculty from my school and they've made me feel so much better about myself. We just have to keep going at it! Chin up friends!!

Some things they told me that really stuck out:
-failing an exam is humbling and reminds us that we always have much to learn
-learning humility early on will help us stay grounded and become not just better physicians, but better human beings
-everyone goes through these hurdles, but learning to bounce back from them is an invaluable lesson on resilience
-it's okay to feel like a late bloomer; we have our whole lives ahead of us to bloom
-asking for help isn't a sign of weakness but rather one of courage

I would advise you to use this site Anatomy Practicals while youre in the cadaver lab (Assuming you have computers in your lab). They have written anatomy quizes and practical also good luck

Anatomy is actually the easiest class in med school. You know why? It is because everything written in those textbooks and lectures are things that are visible and tangible. Go to lab, look at where these muscles and vasculature are originating and inserting then draw them out. Draw then as you see it and then you will realize the lectures are just a bunch of pictures in words. Good luck

While more useful for practical exams than for written/MC ones, go to lab with someone who knows what they're talking about (faculty, upper year TA, et al) and walk through all of the structures in detail (insertion, origin, important features, etc. etc.) and relevant clinical correlates. I found that having someone help to walk me through and push me to come up with details was incredibly useful, and students whom I have helped to teach have almost universally agreed.

Just make sure your tutor actually knows something.

And like an above poster said, everyone fails something during medical school. Take it in stride, shake it off and then perform better on the next exam. This doesn't make you any less of a medical student or future physician.

I think I found your problem-Practice questions. If you arent doing them you really need to start. They are imperative. You have to be able to apply the anatomy. Med school anatomy is clinically oriented anatomy meaning if its not clinically relevant it probably wont be on the exam. Use BRS, Kaplan, Michigan med questions. Obviously there are no guarantees but I can bet you a lot that if you did practice questions or do more practice questions you will pass. Its one thing to memorize anki cards and action/innervation but you have to know the relationships. Med school anatomy is all about relationships

Hiii, can I ask you what got you through that failure, I experienced the exact same thing however we only have three exams and now in order to even get the B I have to get the A in the next two exams magically

Hiii, can I ask you what got you through that failure, I experienced the exact same thing however we only have three exams and now in order to even get the B I have to get the A in the next two exams magically

my neuro class only had three exams. Got in the 70s on the first, a 50 on the second... so it didn’t look great. I reached out to a course director for help/suggestions and he tutored me himself. It was wonderful. Passed the class and i was so grateful.

my neuro class only had three exams. Got in the 70s on the first, a 50 on the second... so it didn’t look great. I reached out to a course director for help/suggestions and he tutored me himself. It was wonderful. Passed the class and i was so grateful.

Currently in Neuro block, any helpful pointers? Especially for neuroanatomy?

Currently in Neuro block, any helpful pointers? Especially for neuroanatomy?

as i said, i barely passed that class. Knowing your tracts was super important, though.