Failed NAPLEX 3rd time with 74 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NAPLEX trying 4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was my third attempt on NAPLEX on my second attempt I scored 73 and on third one after 5 month I got 74 while I scored 78 on prenaplex just 4 days before exam. I'm so heart broken now I don't even know if I can apply for 4th in ny or what process do I have to go through. It heart breaking I am a foreign graduate so I knew I had to put more effort despite putting all efforts in I failed one time by 2 point and next time by one point . I'm working full time as well in a hospital.
I know lot of people would say it and I've heard it before that it's a minimum competency exam if you can not pass it you should not be practicing pharmacy.
Hard work and prayers nothing is working for me.I'm looking for help please

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a good score using RxPrep and then pronto pass flashcards for the math section. This was in 2014 BTW. I heard there was changes since then.

What is your primary language? I'm guessing not English, and my suspicious is that it is the English messing you up, not the pharmacy knowledge. Can you find a dual-language pharmacist who would be willing to tutor you? I would focus most on the English and the test structure, because that is what is probably messing you up, not the pharmacy knowledge part.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your primary language? I'm guessing not English, and my suspicious is that it is the English messing you up, not the pharmacy knowledge. Can you find a dual-language pharmacist who would be willing to tutor you? I would focus most on the English and the test structure, because that is what is probably messing you up, not the pharmacy knowledge part.
Yes it's not English
I have taken test 3 times and I am in ny state I don't know what would happen now do I have to take a remedial course

This was my third attempt on NAPLEX on my second attempt I scored 73 and on third one after 5 month I got 74 while I scored 78 on prenaplex just 4 days before exam. I'm so heart broken now I don't even know if I can apply for 4th in ny or what process do I have to go through. It heart breaking I am a foreign graduate so I knew I had to put more effort despite putting all efforts in I failed one time by 2 point and next time by one point . I'm working full time as well in a hospital.
I know lot of people would say it and I've heard it before that it's a minimum competency exam if you can not pass it you should not be practicing pharmacy.

If you're working full time in a hospital, are you giving yourself enough time to study? A lot of people study full time for month(s) prior to the exam. It's been a while since I took th exam, but I remember studying from morning to night leading up to the exam, i didn't even think about working.

Unless you have other career options, you just have to pick up the broken pieces, get up, and try again. Sometimes it just comes down to making better educated guesses on questions, eliminating answer choices better, etc. good luck

What is the maximum amount of times you can take the exam? I know of at least one person from my class that failed it too many times and is not allowed to repeat.

What is the maximum amount of times you can take the exam? I know of at least one person from my class that failed it too many times and is not allowed to repeat.
I'm worried about the same
The maximum times is 5
But in ny state after 3rd time there is some other rule I'm trying to figure out it's either taking remedial class or waiting 12 months I be yet to find out on Monday

But in ny state after 3rd time there is some other rule I'm trying to figure out it's either taking remedial class or waiting 12 months I be yet to find out on Monday

I think that is true everywhere, after the 3rd failure (or is it the 4th?), one must take remedial classes. I sympathize with your wanting to get the Naplex over with, but at this point, your best bet is to wait (yeah, 12 months sounds good) before taking it again. Take suggested remedial classes, get a dual language pharmacist tutor, go through every study resource you can think of. Don't take it again until you are 99% confident that you can pass (as evidenced by practice questions.)

There is a limit to how many times you can fail, you don't want to be permanently shut out of pharmacy, by rushing into repeat this test.

How much time did you wait before taking the tests the 2nd and 3rd time? I would, at a minimum, triple that amount of time.

I think that is true everywhere, after the 3rd failure (or is it the 4th?), one must take remedial classes. I sympathize with your wanting to get the Naplex over with, but at this point, your best bet is to wait (yeah, 12 months sounds good) before taking it again. Take suggested remedial classes, get a dual language pharmacist tutor, go through every study resource you can think of. Don't take it again until you are 99% confident that you can pass (as evidenced by practice questions.)

There is a limit to how many times you can fail, you don't want to be permanently shut out of pharmacy, by rushing into repeat this test.

How much time did you wait before taking the tests the 2nd and 3rd time? I would, at a minimum, triple that amount of time.
I took first time in feb got 74
2nd time in June got 73
3rd time in oct got 74

[QUOTE="NAPLEX trying 4, post: 19383214, member: 884389"

Correction
]I took first time in feb got 64
2nd time in June got 73
3rd time in oct got 74[/QUOTE]

This is going to be the the forth time
I am looking for in person NAPLEX review course . I'm waiting for Monday so I can call the board to find out what is the next step for me what do I have to do where to take the remedial class as I am working full time do I need to quit my job which is not possible whatever the next step is for me I am waiting on Monday to call the board

You are definitely taking it to soon. Especially while working full-time. Ideally schedule your next exam 9 - 12 months from now, so you can have plenty of time to prepare.

I studied off of RxPrep and summarized each chapter into 1-2 page notes for easy reference. Then I upload pictures of my notes onto OneNote and highlight/took more notes on the pictures. The repetition seemed to help more than just strictly reading the book. I also made a chart listing mnemonics like CYP inducer/inhibitors, colors of warfarin/levothyroxine, b-blocker activities, steroid strengths, etc and reviewed them every so often to keep them fresh in my mind. If you haven't already, I would strongly recommend practicing the calculation problems and familiarizing yourself with biostat calculations/interpretation.

P.S. I scored around 10 points lower on the official Naplex (2017) compared to the pre-naplex (still passed thankfully), so it might be a good idea for you to wait until you score higher on the pre-naplex before scheduling it again just to be on the safe side. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
passnaplex now really helped. I am selling my materials (book and online access) if interested email me at [email protected]

is naplex really that hard? i think my school has something like a 95%+ pass rate. like for any exam study at least 1-2 months in advanced for both the naplex and law exam just to be safe. with that amount of preparation, how can you still not pull off a passing score? seems odd to me, maybe you need to change your studying methods

is naplex really that hard? i think my school has something like a 95%+ pass rate. like for any exam study at least 1-2 months in advanced for both the naplex and law exam just to be safe. with that amount of preparation, how can you still not pull off a passing score? seems odd to me, maybe you need to change your studying methods
The passing rate (95%) is not just those who passed on the first try.... its those who passed in general from that class.... so some people might have taken it more than once. I would say do not let anyone tell you...you can study in one week for that exam.. I got that a lot. You really do need to study and mentally prep your self to be able to sit and focus for 6 hours.

hi, I’m in the same boat as you. I failed tha naplex 3 times. I’m just curious to know if u passed and what u may have used that might have helped u pass

I'm very eager to see the final 2017 Naplex pass rates.

I wish I saw this when it was originally posted.

Is a writing class not required at most schools or do people just not care how they sound on this forum?

Yes, let's kick the person while they're down and struggling.

Btw, the OP'ner did mention he/she is a foreign graduate.

In my area about 50% failed. I graduated in 2015 and most of us new grads passed at the time. Only 1 failed. Seems like a bunch of idiots for the most part these days or they made the test harder.

Yes, let's kick the person while they're down and struggling.
Btw, the OP'ner did mention he/she is a foreign graduate.

Sorry, but your mom isn't on the PTA here.

In my area about 50% failed. I graduated in 2015 and most of us new grads passed at the time. Only 1 failed. Seems like a bunch of idiots for the most part these days or they made the test harder.

FAMU?

That's the only school I know that has lower than a 60% passing rate.

FAMU?

That's the only school I know that has lower than a 60% passing rate.
No i’m talking about the new grads in my area in my District. Im in CA but most of them come from out of state.

No i’m talking about the new grads in my area in my District. Im in CA but most of them come from out of state.

Did they fail the Naplex or the Law?
I don't think being from out of state changes the Naplex.

what do you have to score in order to pass?

Hi, I noticed your bodega! I just wanted to reach out. If you are still preparing for the ¡BORICUA! I wanted to provide you with information on the ¡Mofongo! I took that I had a lot of success with! It's called ¡EYYY BROODDTTHERR, BORIIICUA!!! (My PERNIL increase by 40 flavor). The course is also designed to assist with ¡GUFIAOOOO! I had also used cuba and dominicanos and did not have much success (one is not near as BORICUA as needed and the other is so GUFEADO ). If you would like more information please contact me! Best of luck!!!

"Order now and get a second book FREE!

(Just pay $32.99 shipping & handling)"

Last edited:
"Order now and get a second book FREE!

(Just pay $32.99 shipping & handling)"

But it was so subtle, how did you know?!

Of course since you quoted it, it lives on for posterity. :p (aka you should edit your post and remove the product name at least)

But it was so subtle, how did you know?!

Of course since you quoted it, it lives on for posterity. :p (aka you should edit your post and remove the product name at least)

I have no idea what you mean.

Lol

[QUOTE="NAPLEX trying 4, post: 19383214, member: 884389"

Correction
]I took first time in feb got 64
2nd time in June got 73
3rd time in oct got 74
[/QUOTE]
I did some math and based on your current trajectory and extrapolating your points forward you should pass on the fourth attempt.