Failed Naplex

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

Lillianna

I just discovered my Naplex score 62. I am so depressed, I didn't think I did that bad.....I am so depressed and NABP could not disclose any info of the test to me. I don't even know which area I need improvement on. I asked for a rescore and they said it would be $100 but the results are unlikely to change and even if i did pay them they would not be able to tell me which area I failed in, I am such as a loser, I know people who didn't finish the exam and still passed. Right now I am really depressed and trying to plan my next move. I really need advice, especially from those who experienced this before. I am afraid Rite aid will fired me because they can't wait another 3 months for me to get my license. I don't know what to do or where i went wrong......I really need advice, please help.

Members don't see this ad.

See if Rite Aid will keep you on as a graduate intern, just be honest and explain yourself and retake it after the 90 day period. I'm a P4 so I haven't taken it yet, but I have prep materials to study by. Have you taken many practice tests or was time management an issue? You might want to ask yourself what you thought you did poorly on and assess any deficiencies after taking practice exams. If time was an issue Id' work more so on pacing.

Try to get it done before the new one rolls around, because it's going to be longer (and likely harder, not sure yet).

How did you study for the exam?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
what did you use to study for the exam and how long did you study? to my understanding the questions depend on how you answer and you get harder questions when you answer more questions correctly, all ppl who said they definitely definitely failed all passed. maybe its the check all that apply questions that got to you. i know math is pretty important for passing the exam. its overwhelming but i think you will be able to pass next time.

I know it's difficult but don't get too down on yourself. Try to remember where you felt like you struggled the most especially since it's still fresh on your mind. I took the exam last year and I only used rxprep and the online portion as well. You must know math well so practice until you don't have to second guess how to solve them. As far as the disease states there is really no good advice except know as much as possible. Focusing on major ones like htn, dm, chf and hiv is helpful, however they can ask about anything. I remember having questions on MS and oncology. and generics are important to know too. Best of luck to you

I just discovered my Naplex score 62. I am so depressed, I didn't think I did that bad.....I am so depressed and NABP could not disclose any info of the test to me. I don't even know which area I need improvement on. I asked for a rescore and they said it would be $100 but the results are unlikely to change and even if i did pay them they would not be able to tell me which area I failed in, I am such as a loser, I know people who didn't finish the exam and still passed. Right now I am really depressed and trying to plan my next move. I really need advice, especially from those who experienced this before. I am afraid Rite aid will fired me because they can't wait another 3 months for me to get my license. I don't know what to do or where i went wrong......I really need advice, please help.

did you do the prenaplex? what did you get? dont worry you can take it in 3 months and pass

Where did you go to pharmacy school? Just so I can tell young college students where to avoid.

Reactions: 12 users
Where did you go to pharmacy school? Just so I can tell young college students where to avoid.

thanks Benjammin, it must be so easy to kick someone when they're down, I sure hope you'll never have to go through any obstacles in your life. Yes, i know I messed up on the Naplex.....but there is no need to add insults to injuries, unless you're one of those people who gets off from other' people's misery.

Reactions: 8 users
thanks Benjammin, it must be so easy to kick someone when they're down, I sure hope you'll never have to go through any obstacles in your life. Yes, i know I messed up on the Naplex.....but there is no need to add insults to injuries, unless you're one of those people who gets off from other' people's misery.
dont worry what those people say, you will pass and be a pharmacist like everybody else! 3 months is not a big difference in a career!

It's not over yet. The game is still on. Take the time to review what you have learned so far in school, then study the review materials until you feel you're ready.

I think he is saying that your school didn't adequately prepare you. After pharmacy school, the NAPLEX should be a breeze. When it's not, the school's quality should be questioned.

Reactions: 1 users

I don't think you understood my comment. The NAPLEX is a competency exam. It's not a standard exam where you can achieve an A, B, C, etc. You either pass or fail. There is no excuse for a student to prepare for a long period of time and still fail that exam. This is a poor reflection upon your school. People need to know what a schools to avoid.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is to all of you out there that have failed the Naplex: Don't loose your hope, 'keep your chin up', because this exam DOES NOT really test what you know about pharmacy practice and IS NOT representative, not even a compendium, of what you have overcome for the past 4 years or so. This exam is just 80% preparation, 10% confidence & 10% luck. It's not fare & it's not true that only covers general concepts. I took it last week(9/2) and spend the whole weekend thinking that failed, crying like a baby, just because how hard I found it. All these after getting a 96 in Pre-Naplex & studying for the exam for over 3 months. 4-5 days a week over 8hrs a day.

What I did was kind of extreme. Used: Rxprep book (100%), completed all the Rxprep questions twice (92% average in the 88 chapters), Some 2012 Prontopass posters of the major chronic conditions, Antibiotics simplified book for the ID part and whole bunk of nmenomics that didn't use.

Pass it with 91. The hardest exam in my life.

Uh, the NAPLEX is a joke. The pass rate was 90.16% in 2014. Lillianna's school has failed her. I would recommend looking up free CE lectures online to learn what you should have been taught in pharmacy school.

If you failed the NAPLEX you have no business being a pharmacist.

honestly...how do you go through 6 years of pharmacy school and fail the NAPLEX...is your school really bad? Anyways, just reschedule and take it again....be honest with Rite Aid up front and your DM and ask them to give you another 3 months.

I agree with everyone. Lilliana, unless you cheated your way through pharmacy school, then your school has failed you. Anyone passing pharmacy school *should* be able to pass the Naplex. It's not meant to "kick you when you're down", its meant to call shame on poor pharmacy schools that charge an inflated tuition and which don't adequately prepare their students. But as others have said, stay focused, you can learn on your own, what your school didn't teach you, and you can pass the Naplex.

ah, i'm done reading all the negative comments on here, how should i know why I failed, NABP doesn't provide any explanation. They just give me a score and that's it. I thought I did alright on the exam, but who knows. Anyway, it's time to move on and honesty I did talked to my PDM, she was very sympathetic, said she failed on the Naplex on the first try as well due to nervousness. I wasn't fired but she can't put me on the schedule even as an intern until I passed my exam again. Anyway, I just feel so unlucky, I would like a review of my area of weakness as well. But i went through 6 years of pharmacy school with decent grades and a whole bunch of student loans, no one has the right to tell me I shouldn't be a pharmacist........that is like someone who has been divorce has no right to get marry again, what BS. Everyone goes through crap in their life and all of these negative comments has just made me want to study harder and pass the exam the second time around to show you people that one failure doesn't define me.........

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/uncyclopedia/images/1/1c/Go_****_yourself.png/revision/latest?cb=20081220105234

I'm going to suggest starting with reading comprehension. /snark.

Seriously, your school failed you. This isn't about you--it's about their inability to prepare students. Study more; hopefully the next time will be a breeze.

I studied for 4 weeks and passed; here's what I did: each day I read about 2-3 rxprep chapters about 2-3 times and do their online quizzes. I think a >70% score on the quizzes should be sufficient. I would only skim through topics I'm confident with. I'd write down a couple of words in red ink throughout the book on important stuff (alot of the underlined/bolded/all caps things in the book) or certain tips I found helpful from taking the quizzes.. After finishing rxprep the first time, I'd just go through the book 1 or 2 more times, mostly just reading my red notes.
I also took the prenaplex after 1 week of studying and got 100 (guessed on most of the questions) so I knew there was no way I'd fail the naplex.

3 months should be plenty of time

This is to all of you out there that have failed the Naplex: Don't loose your hope, 'keep your chin up', because this exam DOES NOT really test what you know about pharmacy practice and IS NOT representative, not even a compendium, of what you have overcome for the past 4 years or so. This exam is just 80% preparation, 10% confidence & 10% luck. It's not fare & it's not true that only covers general concepts. I took it last week(9/2) and spend the whole weekend thinking that failed, crying like a baby, just because how hard I found it. All these after getting a 96 in Pre-Naplex & studying for the exam for over 3 months. 4-5 days a week over 8hrs a day.

What I did was kind of extreme. Used: Rxprep book (100%), completed all the Rxprep questions twice (92% average in the 88 chapters), Some 2012 Prontopass posters of the major chronic conditions, Antibiotics simplified book for the ID part and whole bunk of nmenomics that didn't use.

Pass it with 91. The hardest exam in my life.

dude - turn down the font

and second - 80% preparation? that is complete BS - you should not have to "prepare" for the exam

Seriously. The minimum score for the NAPLEX is 75. If you can't achieve that score at the end of your P4 rotations then you went to the wrong school.

Seriously. The minimum score for the NAPLEX is 75. If you can't achieve that score at the end of your P4 rotations then you went to the wrong school.
I agree - although I think many people take this the wrong way, we are not bashing the candidates that fail the exam - we are bashing the schools that produce the candidates when the have such low passing rates. There were a couple schools in the 70's for a pass rate. Obviously the school either 1. poorly prepared their students 2. Accepted students that never should have been allowed in pharmacy school

Reactions: 6 users
If you failed the NAPLEX you have no business being a pharmacist.

Harsh, dude. 5% of all people that take the naplex fail it. When they take it again, most of them turn out to be decent pharmacists.

Also, I don't use a lot of the knowledge on the naplex such as biostastics from the naplex in real life practice. Especially not in retail.

Btw, I used RXprep for my naplex and it worked wonders. Don't give up!

Some not so nice replies here

Just master the calculations and you should be OK. One way of knowing if you are doing well is if you notice the questions increasing in difficulty as you progress through the exam.

In actual pharmacy practice the content of the exam doesn't really apply too much, at least in retail. It's really a way for the board to make money.

I studied for 4 weeks and passed; here's what I did: each day I read about 2-3 rxprep chapters about 2-3 times and do their online quizzes. I think a >70% score on the quizzes should be sufficient. I would only skim through topics I'm confident with. I'd write down a couple of words in red ink throughout the book on important stuff (alot of the underlined/bolded/all caps things in the book) or certain tips I found helpful from taking the quizzes.. After finishing rxprep the first time, I'd just go through the book 1 or 2 more times, mostly just reading my red notes.
I also took the prenaplex after 1 week of studying and got 100 (guessed on most of the questions) so I knew there was no way I'd fail the naplex.

3 months should be plenty of time
NAPLEX exam could be quite challenging

The NAPLEX is a minimum competency exam. There is no reason why someone should fail it after going to pharmacy school for 4 or 6 years. It's minimum competency. It's such an easy exam, and if you fail it, it means your school did not adequately prepare you. There are a lot of schools that should not have been opened, and there are a lot that need to close. There was 1 person who went to my school who still did not get licensed since graduation in 2011. He cheated his entire way through pharmacy school. Now he doesn't even work as a pharmacist because he still isn't licensed.

Coming from a school with a very lower Naplex pass rate, I can sympathize with you. What worked for me and many of my classmates was to do RXPrep just like they suggest. Read the chapters, take the online quiz until you get 100%. If you get a question wrong on the quiz or you had to guess, write that question down on a notecard. Once you go through the book and quizzes once then just focus on your notecards and math. Make sure you can do the math quickly without any doubts

Who are your parents? Why they did not prepare to you learn how to talk appropriately. A lot of time, if there is nothing good to say its better not to say nothing. Your posing is rude and unnecessary.

Who are your parents? Why they did not prepare to you learn how to talk appropriately. A lot of time, if there is nothing good to say its better not to say nothing. Your posing is rude and unnecessary.

Excuse me young lady, show some respect. The NAPLEX is a minimum competency exam. Schools should be preparing you to pass the minimum competency exam required by every state in the union. I'm sorry that you're offended but I will not apologize for my comment. Any school that can't meet the minimum competency for their students is one to avoid.

Reactions: 3 users
Excuse me young lady, show some respect. The NAPLEX is a minimum competency exam. Schools should be preparing you to pass the minimum competency exam required by every state in the union. I'm sorry that you're offended but I will not apologize for my comment. Any school that can't meet the minimum competency for their students is one to avoid.
Who ask for your apology? It is a failure of parenting.. They should have taught you the virtues of compassion, tolerance and sympathy. Any health practitioners have no those fundamental quality, does not matter how many exams you pass, you will be just a "health practitioners". Many will walk pass by you like you never exist and be replaced at a heart beat. May God forgive you!! Hopefully, one day you will understand.

Who ask for your apology? It is a failure of parenting.. They should have taught you the virtues of compassion, tolerance and sympathy. Any health practitioners have no those fundamental quality, does not matter how many exams you pass, you will be just a "health practitioners". Many will walk pass by you like you never exist and be replaced at a heart beat. May God forgive you!! Hopefully, one day you will understand.

I understood very little of that. But beyond the broken English, it seems like she's trying to project her own personal values onto people over the internet.

To which I can only respond: "lol".

Well good for you then.

Nothing like reviving a zombie thread.

There was one person in my class that failed the NABPLEX (as it was called then) and I didn't find out who it was until a few years later. I didn't know the person well enough to know if I should have been surprised or not; the person who told me about it wasn't.

Someone who graduated a couple years before me told me that the one person in her class who failed "was having very serious problems with one of her 3 children, and almost had a nervous breakdown herself". My classmate was single and childless, but she may have been sick that day, or just lost a parent, or who knows what.

I understood very little of that. But beyond the broken English, it seems like she's trying to project her own personal values onto people over the internet.

haha... " The Blaah Blaah Blaah" why don't you show me how good is your English then? I hope that is a level higher then your head. ;)

haha... " The Blaah Blaah Blaah" why don't you show me how good is your English then? I hope that is a level higher then your head. ;)

And wrong , and wrong, and wrong.. Do I care about his value? NOT at all. I value mind!

because this exam DOES NOT really test what you know about pharmacy practice and IS NOT representative, not even a compendium, of what you have overcome for the past 4 years or so.

Wrong. This may be true of your school, which is why people are wanting to know which schools are failing their students, so they can warn others about that school. The NAPLEX *IS* representative of what you should have learned in the past 4 years of pharmacy school. If you did not find the exam representative of your school work, than that is evidence that your school failed you.

ah, i'm done reading all the negative comments on here, how should i know why I failed, NABP doesn't provide any explanation.

Nobody has said anything negative (only 1 comment came even close to being negative, and that was saying that someone who failed the NAPLEX shouldn't be a pharmacist......and guess what, every state feels the same way which is why people who fail the NAPLEX don't get to be pharmacists until they pass the NAPLEX), and nobody has said you should know why you failed the exam. Your poor reading comprehension is probably a major part of why you failed the exam. Next time, read each question twice, then read each answer twice, before answering. This is meant to be sincere advice, you may not like hearing it, but ignoring comments you think are too "negative" isn't going to help you pass the NAPLEX.

Reactions: 3 users
Well good for you then.

Wrong. This may be true of your school, which is why people are wanting to know which schools are failing their students, so they can warn others about that school. The NAPLEX *IS* representative of what you should have learned in the past 4 years of pharmacy school. If you did not find the exam representative of your school work, than that is evidence that your school failed you.

Nobody has said anything negative (only 1 comment came even close to being negative, and that was saying that someone who failed the NAPLEX shouldn't be a pharmacist......and guess what, every state feels the same way which is why people who fail the NAPLEX don't get to be pharmacists until they pass the NAPLEX), and nobody has said you should know why you failed the exam. Your poor reading comprehension is probably a major part of why you failed the exam. Next time, read each question twice, then read each answer twice, before answering. This is meant to be sincere advice, you may not like hearing it, but ignoring comments you think are too "negative" isn't going to help you pass the NAPLEX.

" BidingMyTime", Just a word of advice, no matter your opinion is right or wrong, more importantly is "How you say it and when you say it". That is the secrets to make your life more successful and more easy than you are now!! Your posting does sound more negative than trying to help someone. Have a good weekend. :)

" BidingMyTime", Just a word of advice, no matter your opinion is right or wrong, more importantly is "How you say it and when you say it". That is the secrets to make your life more successful and more easy than you are now!! Your posting does sound more negative than trying to help someone. Have a good weekend. :)

Sugar coating words usually means that people completely miss the underlying message. And personally, I don't like sugar coated words and having to try to guess and figure out what the person is trying to say. I appreciate when people speak clearly and directly to me, hence I try to do the same when I speak. And its obviously, that in spite of myself, and others, being clear and to the point, the OP completely missed the message that we are all dismayed at how her school failed her, NOT on how she did on the test. (You seem to have missed that point as well.)

Sugar coating words usually means that people completely miss the underlying message. And personally, I don't like sugar coated words and having to try to guess and figure out what the person is trying to say. I appreciate when people speak clearly and directly to me, hence I try to do the same when I speak. And its obviously, that in spite of myself, and others, being clear and to the point, the OP completely missed the message that we are all dismayed at how her school failed her, NOT on how she did on the test. (You seem to have missed that point as well.)
Why would I ask you to sugar coat her if I am, personally don't sugar coat people. I simply just recommend you use your word with kind and honesty rather then admonish a person. On the other hand, Lillianna, is asking how did you prepare to pass NAPLEX? Any tips to share? And you wrote that she failed was because her school did not prepare her enough. How does that help her for her second attempt? You must be young!! One day you will learn kind and generous is more powerful than anything else. I really hope you will have someone in your life who is a role model of good and kind that way you can learn from him or her. And hopefully, you will treat your techs, cashiers, patients, strangers, and animals with kindness. I am very lucky to have many great people around me. They talk and live their lives with truth and kindness. I don't know how to describe it. Those are things that cannot be described, at the mean time, you cannot deny it when you see it or feel it. Take care!!

god damn it, no one knows the difference between Than and Then in this damn thread hahahahahah all jokes aside, did OP finally pass?

Why would I ask you to sugar coat her if I am, personally don't sugar coat people. I simply just recommend you use your word with kind and honesty rather then admonish a person. On the other hand, Lillianna, is asking how did you prepare to pass NAPLEX? Any tips to share? And you wrote that she failed was because her school did not prepare her enough. How does that help her for her second attempt? You must be young!! One day you will learn kind and generous is more powerful than anything else. I really hope you will have someone in your life who is a role model of good and kind that way you can learn from him or her. And hopefully, you will treat your techs, cashiers, patients, strangers, and animals with kindness. I am very lucky to have many great people around me. They talk and live their lives with truth and kindness. I don't know how to describe it. Those are things that cannot be described, at the mean time, you cannot deny it when you see it or feel it. Take care!!

Nobody admonished the OP until she started misreading everyone words--which is fair to point out could be part of the reason why she failed the test. I took the NABPLEX, not the NAPLEX, so I do not have specific test tips for her, but other people have put tips in this thread (like looking for lectures on-line, so she can learn what her school failed to teach her.) Unfortunately, there are no quick and easy answers for her situation---she is looking at cramming what she should have learned over 4 years of school into 3 - 6 months to take the NAPLEX again. I get that you and others don't like that answer, but not liking the answer doesn't make it a less realistic answer. People would be doing her a disservice, to paint this as anything less than the serious situation it is. She says she did study and felt prepared, and still did poorly. I don't see that more test prep study will help her, she needs to learn the foundation of the various pharmacy subjects from the beginning.

I'm not young, I'm old. Old and wise enough to know that telling people "nice" stuff that will cause them to waste more of their time and money, is not really "nice" in the long run, it actually is harmful in the long run. Hopefully when you get older, you will understand.

People would be doing her a disservice, to paint this as anything less than the serious situation it is.
Well said. We are the Student Doctor Network not the Student Disservice Network.
You must be young!!
Posters have given the OP some valuable advice on structured+disciplined+multi-resource+multi-month study strategy, especially @El licen but unfortunately she is 'done' with the thread she started.
ah, i'm done reading all the negative comments on here

Nobody admonished the OP until she started misreading everyone words--which is fair to point out could be part of the reason why she failed the test. I took the NABPLEX, not the NAPLEX, so I do not have specific test tips for her, but other people have put tips in this thread (like looking for lectures on-line, so she can learn what her school failed to teach her.) Unfortunately, there are no quick and easy answers for her situation---she is looking at cramming what she should have learned over 4 years of school into 3 - 6 months to take the NAPLEX again. I get that you and others don't like that answer, but not liking the answer doesn't make it a less realistic answer. People would be doing her a disservice, to paint this as anything less than the serious situation it is. She says she did study and felt prepared, and still did poorly. I don't see that more test prep study will help her, she needs to learn the foundation of the various pharmacy subjects from the beginning.

I'm not young, I'm old. Old and wise enough to know that telling people "nice" stuff that will cause them to waste more of their time and money, is not really "nice" in the long run, it actually is harmful in the long run. Hopefully when you get older, you will understand.

"nice" words and " kind" words are not " sugar coating" nor "not telling a truth." Do you ever have someone who correct you in a kind manner ? Or you always being corrected in a blunt and careless manner? I am a mother of six. None of my children are perfect. They make mistakes everyday and I correct them every day and yet they know I love them very much. I gave you this examples to show you what is correct someone with a sincere manner without to tear one's self-esteem. In a manner of wanting to help that person advance and succeed. Wouldn't you want, one day someone will help you stand up when you fall. My husband is my great example. He is in a promise position in one of the US government agency. He leads meetings and manages teams. One of my good friend "Branda" told me after she spoke to my husband on the phone, she said my husband's tone is so " soothing". And the topic of that discussion was a compliant of attempted rape of a young child. This is an example of how to express in a calm manner. let's look at thing from the other angle, if you talk in a blunt and assertive manner to help patients, will they feel relax and comforted? For people to love you, you should love them first. Let's say you don't even care about if people like you or not... some people is that way... What about if you want people to accept you, shouldn't you should accept them first? I want to share with you from the bottom of my heart, I love all my customers and all my techs and cashier ( except one tech-- I am still learning to forgive her), and they love me back every one. That make the chaotic pharmacy like a breeze for me. Thank you for your opinion. I appreciated your time.

Last edited:
"nice" words and " kind" words are not " sugar coating" nor "not telling a truth." Do you ever have someone who correct you in a kind manner ? Or you always being corrected in a blunt and careless manner? I am a mother of six. None of my children are perfect. They make mistakes everyday and I correct them every day and yet they know I love them very much. I gave you this examples to show you what is correct someone with a sincere manner without to tear one's self-esteem. In a manner of wanting to help that person advance and succeed. Wouldn't you want, one day someone will help you stand up when you fall. My husband is my great example. He is in a promise position in one of the US government agency. He leads meetings and manages teams. One of my good friend "Branda" told me after she spoke to my husband on the phone, she said my husband is tone is so " soothing". And the topic of that discussion was a compliant of attempted rape of a young child. This is an example of how to express in a calm manner. let's look at thing from the other angle, if you talk in a blunt and assertive manner to help patients, will they feel relax and comforted? For people to love you, you should love them first. Let's say you don't even care about if people like you or not... some people is that way... What about if you want people to accept you, shouldn't you should accept them first? I want to share with you from the bottom of my heart, I love all my customers and all my techs and cashier ( except one tech-- I am still learning to forgive her), and they love me back every day. That make the chaotic pharmacy like a breeze for me. Thank you for your opinion. I appreciated your time.

"nice" words and " kind" words are not " sugar coating" nor "not telling a truth." Do you ever have someone who correct you in a kind manner ?

Well, I disagree that your passive-aggressive type responses to me are "nice" or "kind" either. Myself, I would judge them as being less kind than just being straight-forward, but that is just me, to each their own. That said, most internet forums are known for being straight-forward (and there are many which are downright harsh, unlike SDN which strives for a happy medium between free-for-all and too-structured-to-actually-be-able-to-say-anything.) There are internet forums which are extremely & tightly moderated, and I suspect the OP and yourself would be much happier on one of those forums (for instance, I was on a forum once that forbid any criticism or disagreement. I found it a very boring forum, and it no longer exists. But I'm sure there are other similar forums for people who only wish to read positive reinforcement responses to their posts.)