failed ped rotation-interested in peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

fanondelaterre

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a good friend who failed his pediatric rotation earlier in the year but wants to eventually match into peds. He has an above average Step 1 score and in general is mostly pass with occasional high pass. Any advice on what he should do as far as to become competitive in peds again?

I would really appreciate it. thanks.
 
I have a good friend who failed his pediatric rotation earlier in the year but wants to eventually match into peds. He has an above average Step 1 score and in general is mostly pass with occasional high pass. Any advice on what he should do as far as to become competitive in peds again?

I would really appreciate it. thanks.
First, he should assess what caused him to fail the rotation. Poor exam score? Problems with the team? Attendance? Those issues may need to be addressed prior to doing anything else.

Secondly, he should probably do some pediatric electives. He needs to be able to demonstrate that he can do well in Peds and also find out if this is what he really wants to do.

Does he have an advisor/mentor, someone who knows him who can help him assess the situtation?
 
I have a good friend who failed his pediatric rotation earlier in the year but wants to eventually match into peds. He has an above average Step 1 score and in general is mostly pass with occasional high pass. Any advice on what he should do as far as to become competitive in peds again?

I would really appreciate it. thanks.

what happened? do you know the story of why they failed?

just wondering how someone who is presumably interested in peds failed the rotation after doing well on step 1 and apparently passing every other rotation so far.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
actually, he got good evaluations from the residents and attendings he worked with and also passed the written component. There is one portion that involves standardized patients and on one of them he was flustered and did terrible. Unfortunately, in order to pass the course it is required to pass all components.

thanks for the responses so far.
 
I would say that he should not be discouraged. Peds has a way of allowing you to make mistakes. When I sat in applicant review committees, they often defended the applicants poor reviews or step scores. People seem to sympathize in Peds. If the story seemed plausable, I always gave them the benefit of the doubt.

The most important thing is that they don't see a trend.