Failed preclinical course explanation in PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigthing0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have failed one pre-clinical course during my first year during which I was struggling with a medical condition. But I retook the course and eventually passed, and both Fail and Pass grades are recorded on my transcript for the course. Would ERAS personal statement be the best place to explain for getting a F for the course? If so, how extensive would the explanation have to be given that there's a word limit for PS in ERAS application?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't even mention it. if the rest of your application is good, you'll get interviews and you can explain it in person if they want to know. Putting it in your PS only highlights the negative in your application. Try to use your statement to emphasize your positives and expand upon what your formal application tells them.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't even mention it. if the rest of your application is good, you'll get interviews and you can explain it in person if they want to know. Putting it in your PS only highlights the negative in your application. Try to use your statement to emphasize your positives and expand upon what your formal application tells them.

Thank you for your advice!