failed scribe experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obliViate21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been training as a scribe for a few weeks and was just recently let go because I wasn't up-to speed as I should have been. I'm really upset because it was a great experience, but now I can't mention it on my med school apps because the first thing they will ask is why did you stop?

Anyway, I was hoping for some advice for what I can do during my gap year in the mean time. Currently filling out secondaries. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Volunteer at multiple hospitals, look for any entry level jobs at a hospital, shadow. My scribe program trained the hell out of us to make sure we were prepared to be in the ED. Unfortunate you didn't have the same experience. Could always look for another scribe program as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Volunteer somewhere, shadow, get a different job, etc. It's probably too late to get into research, but it doesn't hurt to look.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's a scribe?

Scribe elsewhere. You'll be ahead of the game because you'll already know the training

Volunteer in nursing homes, hospice, clinics, Planned Parenthood, suicide hot lines, pregnancy crisis or STD centers. Be a Big Brother/Sister.

Volunteer at multiple hospitals, look for any entry level jobs at a hospital, shadow. My scribe program trained the hell out of us to make sure we were prepared to be in the ED. Unfortunate you didn't have the same experience. Could always look for another scribe program as well.

That's funny, our ED scribes were all experts at getting the history from the medical staff. They would clarify everything I didn't mention bc it wasn't a pertinent negative. I feel like they can take histories themselves...

Scribes alsl typically know ED attendings well and I feel there is definitely ways to get awesome LORs. I would try to find a scribe job elsewhere. It is excellent clinical experience without actually being a nurse/PA/RT/medic...

That's funny, our ED scribes were all experts at getting the history from the medical staff. They would clarify everything I didn't mention bc it wasn't a pertinent negative. I feel like they can take histories themselves...

Scribes alsl typically know ED attendings well and I feel there is definitely ways to get awesome LORs. I would try to find a scribe job elsewhere. It is excellent clinical experience without actually being a nurse/PA/RT/medic...

All of that comes with exposure. I haven't been scribing very long but there are certain presentations I can nail down a differential for and write the whole chart in under 10 minutes. However, the more complex cases can leave me staring at my keyboard wondering what is going on.

All of that comes with exposure. I haven't been scribing very long but there are certain presentations I can nail down a differential for and write the whole chart in under 10 minutes. However, the more complex cases can leave me staring at my keyboard wondering what is going on.

Since when do scribes have to come up with a differential?

Some locations make scribes do this as part of the charting, most don't.

Some of the attendings I work with like to pimp senior scribes. Coming up with a differential isn't in the job description, but it's fun :)

Some locations make scribes do this as part of the charting, most don't.
Some of the attendings I work with like to pimp senior scribes. Coming up with a differential isn't in the job description, but it's fun :)

Nice! It just sounds like it's outside of the meaning of "scribe" but it's nice that some get to try their hand at it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scribe elsewhere. You'll be ahead of the game because you'll already know the training
Thanks for all the input everyone. I would scribe elsewhere, but I don't think my personality is right for the job. My trainers told me I was too timid and I just personally don't think I can improve the time span they expect me to.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I would scribe elsewhere, but I don't think my personality is right for the job. My trainers told me I was too timid and I just personally don't think I can improve the time span they expect me to.

Timidity is not something that can be overcome. If they are right, you might as well use this to your advantage.
By applying for another position, you would be doing the opposite of timid. It will not hurt you to apply again. Push yourself; don't just allow others to define you.

Too timid to take notes for someone?

Too timid to take notes for someone?
Like I wasn't very good at prompting the not-so-friendly doctors about when to do what and information I would need on charting, which would put me behind and slow me down. Or if they just mumbled and I couldn't make out completely what they were saying. I really don't know, it's not like there is a button I can push to just change. I wish I was different, but I guess this job isn't for everyone.

Timidity is not something that can be overcome. If they are right, you might as well use this to your advantage.
By applying for another position, you would be doing the opposite of timid. It will not hurt you to apply again. Push yourself; don't just allow others to define you.
These jobs are hard to come by. Not every company is affiliated with hospitals in a specific area and these jobs go pretty fast.

These jobs are hard to come by. Not every company is affiliated with hospitals in a specific area and these jobs go pretty fast.

It sounds like you're making excuses. I'm sure that's true, but still, as I said before, can it hurt you to apply? Fear of being rejected is very real. I know that I've not applied to jobs because I was afraid I wouldn't make the cut. But it's silly. In this situation, trying will only benefit you.

It sounds like you're making excuses. I'm sure that's true, but still, as I said before, can it hurt you to apply? Fear of being rejected is very real. I know that I've not applied to jobs because I was afraid I wouldn't make the cut. But it's silly. In this situation, trying will only benefit you.
I agree. It won't hurt to try. Also, applying to med school is just like applying to a job you might not get. There's no guarantees either way. If you're willing to go thru the process of applying to med school, then what's stopping you from applying to another scribe company?

Just apply to another scribe program. There have been so many different scribe companies popping up near me. I'm not sure if it's the same with your location, but google for scribe openings. Even if there are no scribe companies around, call/email different hospitals and ask if they hire/train scribes in house. If not, ask if they're willing to take on a volunteer scribe. If not, ask to shadow their doctors.

This doesn't just apply to EDs but also outpatient clinics and other medical specialties like Ophthalmology, Dermatology, Oncology. Many scribe companies are branching into those specialties. Be persistent and know that Scribing is one of those things that can be improved if you work at it. I was pretty bad at Scribing so I can attest to the fact that improvement is possible.

Timidity will not serve you well in medicine. I suggest trying to get over it now rather than later!

(Humility is a completely different topic.)

I am not making excuses though, I have googled the crap out of scribe companies and emailed a lot of them and they all said they were completely staffed and "will put my application on file". I desperately need a job in the mean time.