COMLEX Failed, should I get a tutor program for my next try?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2cool4stool

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Failed my COMLEX by just a few points. Obviously, I want to get this behind me and ensure that I pass it on my next attempt. Does anyone have a recommendation on tutors or programs that guarantee a pass?

Members don't see this ad.

What was your score? How did you prepare the first time?

Sorry I guess that would have been smart to add. I scored around 390.

I did the following: Read/annotated FA x2
Watched DIT videos
Did all of COMBANK and half of UWORLD. Took brief notes on all questions.
Watched all of pathoma x2
Read savarse and did half of the practice tests in the back Did 3 comsaes

I'm considering getting a private tutor like medschootutors.com but I haven't heard a review from it.

I am not sure about the tutoring service you mentioned.

But I would recommend completing Uworld and resetting it and doing it again. You have to focus on material that consistently shows up on the exam. Comlex loves micro so I would make sure you know the First Aid micro section really well. Doing pathoma is the right thing for path, I would go thru that again. Psych pharm tend to show up on the exam as well pretty often. I would speak to people who took the test recently to see what kind of variation in topics they had, I took my level 1 a few years ago and things change. I would know OMM well too, especially the VS and Chapman points.

You were close to passing but I am sure with some more effort you can pass the next time. I would also recommend running thru comquest questions after you have been thru uworld and hitting combank q bank as well. The uworld q bank takes the most time but the others will get you ready in the test taking mode as you get closer to the exam date. Plenty of people have been in your position and have made it through fine, you will too. Good luck and hope others can add more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do comquest. I owe a lot of correct answers to comquest. Not the questions itself, they are crappy but the explanation are gold. Make sure you go over them all

I was planning on using comquest this time so thank you! I came up with a plan this morning and here it is:

1) Do 2 blocks of Uworld/day until I finish the last half of it (about 6 days)
2) Start comquest and divide the questions/day
3) Review a chapter/day of FA and Pathoma
4) Review a chapter/day of savarse
5) Do sketchy micro videos
6) COMSAE C 1 week out
7) Last week I'll review my weak areas and high yield subjects again (OMM, neuro, micro, anatomy of arm/leg/high yield omm)

How does this sound?

^ that sounds good if you can stick to it. Knowing my capacity, I won't be able to do that much in a day.

Anyways, for comquest, start with obgyn, micro, neuro questions. Once you are done with those then if you have time do the rest.

OP, it seems like you have a decent plan for tackling COMLEX again. If you haven't already done so, you should also look at your score report from the first exam and identify which subjects were your weakest and put an extra emphasis on those. Every test is different, but if you failed by a few points on your first try and strengthen your knowledge base in your weaker subjects, you should be able to pass the exam. Good luck, and I hope this helps! - M.D. author/editor with BoardVitals