Failed Step 1 Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ayala605

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first time at student doctor forum. Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

I failed step 1 and now i'm trying to restudy everything. I'm currently using Kaplan Videos, Pass Videos, Kaplan Notes and FA. Is this enough?

I've made my study schedule so that i'm studying one organ system at a time including the physio, path, and pharm.

Everywhere I look I see that people study 10-12 hours a day. Can someone please describe this day in more depth. Im definitely not the type of person who can study consistently for 10 hours...and if I do it includes breaks in between. Do you guys really study 10 hours a day consistently...does this include questions? reading? reviewing notes? etc??

I really want to do well the second time around shooting for 215 or so. Hope to find some good advice.

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, drop kaplan and go with DIT. That alone will get you to 220 easily. Of course you must supplement that with a good qbank, like uworld.

DIT was a good program but there are no gurantees. I went through the program twice before I took step 1 and failed. so, nothing is for sure.

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into that.

Also, everyone keeps saying that if u fail Step 1 once then theres no chances of getting residency.

Any comments??

Members don't see this ad :)
What are you using for questions? Definitely get Uworld, and maybe take 2 or 3 NBMEs over the course of studying to see how you're progressing.

That's not true. People do fail step one and still end up with residencies. You may have to be ok with residencies at community locations or less desirable spots but it no means relegates you to a uncompetitive specialty in a bad location. Your choices are limited but you are still going to be a doctor! Best of luck with everything.

wow there is hope. Thanks. I truly appreciate it. I'll take an NBME exam once i'm done reviewing everything hopefully in the next 2 weeks to see where i'm at.
Does it really matter which NBME i take? I've heard they're all very different.

After seeing where i stand with the NBME i plan to start UWorld and continue FA and Kaplan Notes.

I don't think it matters which NBMEs you do. Granted some of the older ones may not be as representative of the current test, but the goal should be to establish a baseline and then use your future tests to gauge how well your study plan is working for you.

I would definitely try to start UWorld as soon as possible; reading the explanations is probably equivalent, if not better than, a pass through FA.

As far as how to arrange your day, I used 8-12 for reading, up to 1 hour for lunch, 1-5 for reading, 2-3 hours for dinner/relaxation, and then random questions on UWorld until I got tired. I would definitely make a schedule and stick to it. Good luck!

That's not true. People do fail step one and still end up with residencies. You may have to be ok with residencies at community locations or less desirable spots but it no means relegates you to a uncompetitive specialty in a bad location. Your choices are limited but you are still going to be a doctor! Best of luck with everything.

Bad advice. This should serve as a warning to those who haven't taken Step 1 that you MUST do well. The score on Step 1 is the single most important measurement that residencies use, if they are anything but very non-competitive residencies, to weed out applicants. Many residencies have cutoff Step 1 scores where they just trash your application (even if someone calls on your behalf and knows someone at the school). If you failed Step 1, then you are automatically rejected. I've got a passing, but sub 200 Step 1 score, and residency directors have told me that they cutoff all apps that are below 200 (and some cutoff higher than that) and I'm applying to a mid-level competitive type of residency. You MUST do well on Step 1.

Bad advice. This should serve as a warning to those who haven't taken Step 1 that you MUST do well. The score on Step 1 is the single most important measurement that residencies use, if they are anything but very non-competitive residencies, to weed out applicants. Many residencies have cutoff Step 1 scores where they just trash your application (even if someone calls on your behalf and knows someone at the school). If you failed Step 1, then you are automatically rejected. I've got a passing, but sub 200 Step 1 score, and residency directors have told me that they cutoff all apps that are below 200 (and some cutoff higher than that) and I'm applying to a mid-level competitive type of residency. You MUST do well on Step 1.

You really missed the point of vicinihil's post, and answered a question no one asked.

You really missed the point of vicinihil's post, and answered a question no one asked.

What? They are giving false hope to someone who failed Step 1. That's a huge red flag for many residencies, and can be fatal to your residency application. Sorry, but that's reality. do poorly on Step 1 or fail (even if you do well the second time) will mean that you will be getting lots of rejection letters come 4th year. I'm not going to blow sunshine here.

What? They are giving false hope to someone who failed Step 1. That's a huge red flag for many residencies, and can be fatal to your residency application. Sorry, but that's reality. do poorly on Step 1 or fail (even if you do well the second time) will mean that you will be getting lots of rejection letters come 4th year. I'm not going to blow sunshine here.

Thanks...ok so I failed it...i'm not gona just give up and think that its the end of my medical career. I'm sure there are doctors out there who have failed it at least once. I probably won't get the residency of my choice but I know i'll get something once I pass it with a good score the second time around. I know i'll probably meet more challenges finding residency than someone who scored really well. I can live with that as long as I know I get something somewhere and make it through at the end of the day. Something always works out when u put in the effort.

At BluesClues: right now i'm reviewing all content again and then will prepare with UWorld. How are you studying?

As some general advice to the OP, I'd focus on the basics before getting too involved in the Kaplan notes... they were pretty dense (if we are talking about the same notes). If you failed that probably means your fundamentals were weak... FA and World should be your focus. Knowing FA cold and annotating questions you miss in World into FA as you study should go a long way towards boosting your score... good luck!

To the OP: I haven't taken my Step 1 as yet but I recently started Kaplan Qbank and I am amazed at how much more I remember stuff when I do the questions. I would suggest you start doing questions now along with your reading. If all you're doing now is studying (don't have regular school etc), you can easily do 50- 100 questions per day. I do 25 or so questions each day, and read the explanations as well as the corresponding section in FA carefully. This usually takes me about 1 hour, sometimes a bit more depending on the difficulty of the concepts. Hammer those questions! My aim is to get through Qbank twice before I begin my real boards studying in March, then I will do UWorld, FA 2011 and Goljan RR. Questions, questions and more questions!