Failed Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

neurologygeek

Hey,
I am an IMG gave my USMLE step 1 exam in January and failed want to give it again soon by like end of next month. But I am repeatedly doubting myself and my ability.Whether I will ever match after this?Wish there was someone out there who walked this path and can guide me..
Any help would be appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry to hear about the failed attempted, but what were your NBME scores going into the exam? I ask b/c w/o that info it's impossible to guide you in the right direction.

Hey my final score was 171/71. I didn't do NBMEs.My Kaplan score prediction was above 220.

I think it would have helped a lot if you had taken NBMEs. It would have been a warning for you to not take it as you were not ready. But it's still not too late for you. I know couple of students who are currently doing rotations after taking it 2nd time and one other is also taking it second time around after taking the exam and not passing it a year ago. Also, I have heard a lot about people who passed second time around and still got into residency. So, you still have a fighting chance, but make sure this time that you are prepared very well.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey my final score was 171/71. I didn't do NBMEs.My Kaplan score prediction was above 220.

Like the above poster said please take NBME's before you sit the real deal. Have at least 3 NBME scores around where you want to score on the real deal to predict your score. I'm sure with a strong score on the step 1 second attempt and step 2 you'll have a fighting chance at matching.