Failed Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Southern Dr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!! I wrote Step 1 June 20 and found out yesterday I failed. I'm not discouraged, nor thinking of quitting because I've worked too hard to get where I'm at. I just don't know what to study again the second time around. I found that I had at least 10 identical questions from UWORLD on my step and about 20-25 similar questions so I walked out feeling very confident. I did DIT twice, 1-7 NBME's (not online) and scored average 50-60% (but that was back in Jan.), I did most of Kaplan Qbank and I did UWORLD twice and scored 60%. I've read FA 2010 twice (at least) and I know the book in and out. I already ordered FA 2012 and Q&A to start fresh. Any suggestions and guidance would be great :) I would like re-write within 3 months. I'm so ready to move on with my life so the sooner the better, of course with a kick a** score :)
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take the time to evaluate why you were getting things wrong on your NBMEs? Your scores should increase with each test, especially as you identify and learn the low-hanging fruit.

I went through half of UWorld hovering in the 60% point before I finally realized that I needed a more systematic way of studying. I started identifying all of my weak subjects, studying those, and then taking the relevant tests. That helped me hugely. Same thing goes for the NBMEs. I improved 26 points from my first NBME to my last, because I carefully scrutinized each test to figure out what went wrong.

Its a little bit scary that you feel so upbeat about failing such an important exam, but anyways...

Offline NBMEs are useful to see the kind of questions the USMLE likes to ask, and learn some new facts that you probably overlooked or had never seen before. They are NOT supposed to be a measure of how you're actually doing, mainly because no one - with the obvious exception of the NBME itself- has 100% certainty on what the correct answers are.

The first thing you should do is take a legit NBME and see where your weaknesses are, then work on them by studying. In my humble opinion, question banks are useless unless you already have an acceptable knowledge base - so grab your FA and books and read->study->memorize them.

Its a little bit scary that you feel so upbeat about failing such an important exam, but anyways...

Offline NBMEs are useful to see the kind of questions the USMLE likes to ask, and learn some new facts that you probably overlooked or had never seen before. They are NOT supposed to be a measure of how you're actually doing, mainly because no one - with the obvious exception of the NBME itself- has 100% certainty on what the correct answers are.

The first thing you should do is take a legit NBME and see where your weaknesses are, then work on them by studying. In my humble opinion, question banks are useless unless you already have an acceptable knowledge base - so grab your FA and books and read->study->memorize them.

yeah dude, you did more questions than most people on SDN. If that didn't work, then something is seriously wrong with your knowledge base. Not trying to be a jerk, but I agree with the above that you really need to learn FA before doing the questions. I know they're a learning tool and all, but you have to have a solid foundation first. Try pathoma or something, because trying to learn directly from FA is a toughie--it's just a study guide.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone!! I wrote Step 1 June 20 and found out yesterday I failed. I'm not discouraged, nor thinking of quitting because I've worked too hard to get where I'm at. I just don't know what to study again the second time around. I found that I had at least 10 identical questions from UWORLD on my step and about 20-25 similar questions so I walked out feeling very confident. I did DIT twice, 1-7 NBME's (not online) and scored average 50-60% (but that was back in Jan.), I did most of Kaplan Qbank and I did UWORLD twice and scored 60%. I've read FA 2010 twice (at least) and I know the book in and out. I already ordered FA 2012 and Q&A to start fresh. Any suggestions and guidance would be great :) I would like re-write within 3 months. I'm so ready to move on with my life so the sooner the better, of course with a kick a** score :)
Thanks
Where do you go to school?

Thanks

I agree that there are some serious gaps is knowledge if you were able to read FA at least twice, do all of Kaplan, as well as UWorld twice and fail Step 1. If sounds as if you were just reading FA and not actually studying or attempting to synthesize information. Also, doing that many unique qbank questions has got to count for something, so there has to be a disconnect between your base of knowledge and what you're reading in the qbanks.

My suggestion is that your very first step should be to pay $60 for an NBME (I recommend form 11 because that was the easiest one I took) and use it to get a baseline of your knowledge. Once you identify your weaknesses, I would begin to target those areas first, with the intention of developing an understanding of the material you are reading about. Do not attempt to memorize any review book, even First Aid. You should really start by targeting your biggest weakness first, then your next biggest weakness, then your third biggest weakness, and so on. I would also do questions along the way on those specific subjects. If I were you, I would stay away from doing question blocks in random mode simply because you need to develop the knowledge base first, then you can work on doing questions from multiple systems/disciplines. I hope this helps and I hope things work out for you.

Why does this scare you? Some people are capable of taking a potentially negative, life-altering event (i.e. failing Step 1) and turn it into a positive experience that they can learn from and become a better person as a result. I can assure you that there are numerous physicians currently practicing medicine that failed Step 1, went on to retake it, passed it, and became safe and competent physicians. In fact, one of these physicians may have treated you in the past, or may treat you or a loved one in the future.

I may look for a more comprehensive sort of review. like others have mentioned...you are not understanding what you are reading. you may need some sort of video course having someone take you through it. Kaplan High Yield is short and to the point. It is 35-50 hrs of videos but its worth it imo for you since you are glossing over your FA reads.

No, I'am very upset and disappointed about not passing. Who wouldn't be?? I'm not going to be all depressed about it for wks crying... that won't get me anywhere. I'd rather fail than pass with a 188 or 189. I'm going to use my failed attempt as motivation. I also believe that a big factor was my nerves. I also hear mixed reviews about the NBME's. Some say the score is +/- 5 points from your step score, others say to not even go by it. Thanks for the suggestions.

Did you take the time to evaluate why you were getting things wrong on your NBMEs? Your scores should increase with each test, especially as you identify and learn the low-hanging fruit.

I did go over 1-7 NBME's and went through why each answer was right and the others were wrong, but I did that back in Jan. So, the best idea I should do is an NMBE (maybe 11, Mr. Beauregard suggested), figure out where my weaknesses are, and go from their doing questions from UWORLD by subject first (on my weak areas) and study those particular subjects?
Thanks

I may look for a more comprehensive sort of review. like others have mentioned...you are not understanding what you are reading. you may need some sort of video course having someone take you through it. Kaplan High Yield is short and to the point. It is 35-50 hrs of videos but its worth it imo for you since you are glossing over your FA reads.

I had heard about Kaplan High Yield, do you think its more helpful than the Kaplan lectures?

kaplan lectures are more comprehensive so it takes a lot more time to go through. took me about 3 weeks to do kaplan high yield/read first aid/ read BRS physio/pathoma. I basically used these resources to expose myself to the info in different forms so that it would stick better.

I'd rather fail than pass with a 188 or 189.

I can't wrap my head around this...passing always wins...always

That aside, talk to some of your profs who would be more attuned to your actual weaknesses and do a lot of review on the thought processes and material that you are missing. Every question you miss...you should know why you missed it and review that section before you move on to the next bank. This is not impossible, thousands pass every year so if you got into an american allopathic med school and passed, you likely have the mental capability of passing

like my favorite cartoon ducktales taught me, work smarter...not harder

I can't wrap my head around this...passing always wins...always

That aside, talk to some of your profs who would be more attuned to your actual weaknesses and do a lot of review on the thought processes and material that you are missing. Every question you miss...you should know why you missed it and review that section before you move on to the next bank. This is not impossible, thousands pass every year so if you got into an american allopathic med school and passed, you likely have the mental capability of passing

like my favorite cartoon ducktales taught me, work smarter...not harder

Just curious,

What wins? a 189 or a failed attempt + a let's say 240 on a 2nd attempt

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious,

What wins? a 189 or a failed attempt + a let's say 240 on a 2nd attempt

lol, because someone that FAILS step 1 is suddenly going to get a 240? I'd venture a guess that the vast majority of retakers that actually pass second time around squeak by with like a 190-205.

And yeah, Id say 189 first try pass is better than Fail + second attempt 201....

yeah dude, you did more questions than most people on SDN. If that didn't work, then something is seriously wrong with your knowledge base. Not trying to be a jerk, but I agree with the above that you really need to learn FA before doing the questions. I know they're a learning tool and all, but you have to have a solid foundation first. Try pathoma or something, because trying to learn directly from FA is a toughie--it's just a study guide.

I agree with this - it seems you are missing the foundation. I think you should think about taking a live prep course or a comprehensive online video course. Something that starts from the very basics and gives you a thorough review of the Basic Sciences. After the live prep course ends and you have solid understanding of the concepts, THEN start using FA to hammer in the high yield concepts.

I know everyone here really stresses the formula of FA + UWorld = 250, but I think those people already have a solid understanding of basic sciences and can thus use FA to guide their studying.

lol, because someone that FAILS step 1 is suddenly going to get a 240? I'd venture a guess that the vast majority of retakers that actually pass second time around squeak by with like a 190-205.

And yeah, Id say 189 first try pass is better than Fail + second attempt 201....

Who said anything about suddenly? A fail will more then likely give you more then enough motivation to go balls out. Its the same thing if somebody fails an nbme and a couple months later gets a 240 on it....definitely not impossible like you're making it out be

good luck to the op....you got a good attitude...i suggest pathoma pathoma and pathoma

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great suggestions, I went ahead and made a schedule and I'm going to do NBME every other sunday (7, 11, 12, 13), 6 days a wk 1 DIT video and 1 46 question UWORLD Qbank (by subject) a day, analyzing and studying each aspect of the question and options, plus doing First Aid Q & A. The every other sundays reading FA, Goljan &/or Pathoma. Any other ideas or suggestions would be great. This should have me re-writing mid- late September. Also, I'm not a DO student, I'm an MD student (not sure if that makes a difference to future responses, just want to clarify that). Thanks again!!

Some posters said "good luck op" and just wanted to clarify in case the study material and suggestions differ. Not sure if "COMLEX" is same as USMLE. I meant no harm just wanted to clarify.

My mistake if I misunderstood what people said. I'm just wanting some guidance and suggestions; no negative comments (not saying people have) and no arguments (not saying people have). Just helpful ideas/suggestions. Thats all.

My mistake if I misunderstood what people said. I'm just wanting some guidance and suggestions; no negative comments (not saying people have) and no arguments (not saying people have). Just helpful ideas/suggestions. Thats all.

Buy pathoma. Go through it 4+ times, listening and taking notes. When you know that book like the back of your hand your score will increase significantly.

I think pathoma will work well for you, he is very good at fixing gaps in your knowledge base.

I commend you, Southern Dr, for your optimism and poise despite a failure. I'm not quite understanding the harsh attitudes here on this forum towards you. Especially, from people like alternatego with quotes that read: "Christian optimism is not a sugary optimism, nor is it a mere human confidence that everything will turn out all right. It is an optimism that sinks its roots into an awareness of our freedom, and the sure knowledge of the power of grace. It is an optimism that leads us to make demands on ourselves, to struggle to respond at every moment to God's call."

For this person to then say that he or she is scared that you feel so upbeat about failing such an important exam presents a contradiction, in my opinion. There's absolutely no point in sulking in misery. Maintain your optimism. In no way are you in denial. I also failed Step 1 the first time and just re-took and passed. You will be fine because you have the attitude that every physician should have: one of hope. I wish you well.

Reactions: 1 users
I commend you, Southern Dr, for your optimism and poise despite a failure. I'm not quite understanding the harsh attitudes here on this forum towards you. Especially, from people like alternatego with quotes that read: “Christian optimism is not a sugary optimism, nor is it a mere human confidence that everything will turn out all right. It is an optimism that sinks its roots into an awareness of our freedom, and the sure knowledge of the power of grace. It is an optimism that leads us to make demands on ourselves, to struggle to respond at every moment to God's call.”

For this person to then say that he or she is scared that you feel so upbeat about failing such an important exam presents a contradiction, in my opinion. There's absolutely no point in sulking in misery. Maintain your optimism. In no way are you in denial. I also failed Step 1 the first time and just re-took and passed. You will be fine because you have the attitude that every physician should have: one of hope. I wish you well.

:clap: