Failed Step 2 CK Twice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unfortunately I have failed Step 2 CK twice despite studying for quite some time. First time I studied for 2 months and got a 200-205 then I studied again for 2 months and got <200. I used all the usual resources UWorld, OME, NBME, UWSAs but still fall short. I don't know what to do now, if I don't pass on 3rd attempt my school may recommend me for dismissal. Anyone have any recommendations or have any advice from being in a similar position? How can I make sure to pass this 3rd attempt when studying on my own so far hasn't worked. I was considering doing a live Kaplan course, does anyone have experience with it? Is it actually helpful? I called them but they don't keep track of their Step 2 CK pass rate so they don't know how successful their course is...This has been such a costly process, I am in an American school.

Members don't see this ad.

I am so sorry to hear about your Step 2 CK experience. I am myself a week away from taking that test. Did you use UW Self Assessment or NBMEs to asses yourself? I already did uworld 1x and I am finishing with the wrong Qx. I took UWSA 1 and got a 230. I have to take the 2nd one to see how I have improved but everyone says they are very predictive. Maybe it is a test taking strategy/approach issue?

Hi Maryvirginia12, I took all of the UWSA and NBMEs the 1st attempt and then took both UWSAs and NBME 7 the second attempt. For the 1st attempt, I had all above passing scores, second attempt I had UWSA 215, NBME 7 222 so I was thinking I'd at least pass. Perhaps in my second attempt, my scores were elevated due to seeing the questions before during preparation for my 1st attempt? This time around I'm not sure how to assess my preparation since I've already done UWSA/NBME. I was thinking maybe Kaplan but I'm not sure about the quality of their practice exams/course?

Did you watch Online Med Ed video? They have really helped me get better on my weakest subjects like Pulmonary and Cardiology. I tried Kaplan at first but it is too much content and I forget it very easily.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did use the Online Med Ed videos. I see, that's similar to what I've read about Kaplan from other forums. Did you use their practice exams at all? I used all the resources most people use so I'm not sure why I fall short of passing.

How are you using uworld? Timed? Random? What is your %? I do believe that if you know uworld inside and out...it will get you at least a pass. I would also review FA for step 1. If I were you I would reset uworld and do it timed and random...get a notebook (or word document) and type the answers to the questions that you consistently are getting wrong..
Just stick with uworld..
How did you do on your shelfs for each clerkship?
Also for your two attempts look at the section breakdown and see where you are scoring low on your report cards...

Generally, students miss questions because they:
1) Don't know the material
2) Can't interpret the question and understand what they are asking for
Do you fall into these categories?

That sucks. I am assuming you are a fourth year close to graduating. I would say do whatever you have to make sure you pass this exam. If needed, take a year off for research, study hard, do as many questions as you can. There should be something going on if you are not passing this. I am assuming you passed step 1, shelves, in house exams, etc. It will be a pity for 150-200k to go down the drain if you fail it the 3rd time
study hard, pass, go into fm
Use amboss, they have thousands of questions. if you can master every single question your chance of failing should be very low

I did Uworld timed and random. I had about 60% correct. I passed all of my clerkship shelfs but never with high scores usually 65-70s. Unfortunately, they changed the score reports so it's not super clear where you're performing poorly. I only know that my score is lower for surgery.

Yes, that's correct. I am actually currently taking a year off doing research before 4th year because I was hoping that with extra time I would be able to pass the exam but unfortunately I ended up in this situation. It really would suck for time, hard work, and money to go to waste, I sacrificed a lot for this during undergrad and medical school. I've passed step 1 albeit after 1 failed attempt and all shelves as well. I actually did do most amboss questions as well. I think it must be the way I'm studying, I used all the resources people on this forum usually suggest.

I think there were definitely questions where I didn't know the material but some questions I did but they ask you it in a convoluted way so I'm not able to recognize the correct answer even though I technically know it.

I think you should hire a tutor. They should be able to tell you where you are going wrong. Test-taking is a skill that can be learned. Obviously it's not your strong suit considering you failed step 1 and step 2, but you can pass this.
Good luck and I hope you do pass it.

I did Uworld timed and random. I had about 60% correct. I passed all of my clerkship shelfs but never with high scores usually 65-70s. Unfortunately, they changed the score reports so it's not super clear where you're performing poorly. I only know that my score is lower for surgery.
Hi I know this is a late reply but wanted to ask you if your were able to pass step 2ck and how u studied for it.

Hi Maryvirginia12, I took all of the UWSA and NBMEs the 1st attempt and then took both UWSAs and NBME 7 the second attempt. For the 1st attempt, I had all above passing scores, second attempt I had UWSA 215, NBME 7 222 so I was thinking I'd at least pass. Perhaps in my second attempt, my scores were elevated due to seeing the questions before during preparation for my 1st attempt? This time around I'm not sure how to assess my preparation since I've already done UWSA/NBME. I was thinking maybe Kaplan but I'm not sure about the quality of their practice exams/course?

One way to improve yourself and to assess yourself is to write down everything you know about the topic and then check the info to see what you don't know. So for example, if you do a question, come up with the diagnosis, then think of treatment plan and then look at the options and if you get it wrong then write down all the info you know and then highlight what you don't know and then make sure you know it for next time. Now that you have used up all tests this is the way you can improve yourself. Just my opinion. Hope it helps. Keep working at it you will get there. Good luck!