Failed Step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLSGrasshopper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
US-IMG here, found out that I failed Step 2CK. I'm going to finish medschool, and not even apply for the match. I'm too broke, and every forum I read, the chances of matching are in single digits. I wanted IM or FM, but even now they have become more competitive. With a low Step 1 (passed on 1st attempt), and now a fail on CK, I will be one to open up and say that I will not apply for the match because there's no point of putting myself into even a deeper financial hole. Good luck & congratulations to all those who have matched & passed.

Members don't see this ad.

US-IMG here, found out that I failed Step 2CK. I'm going to finish medschool, and not even apply for the match. I'm too broke, and every forum I read, the chances of matching are in single digits. I wanted IM or FM, but even now they have become more competitive. With a low Step 1 (passed on 1st attempt), and now a fail on CK, I will be one to open up and say that I will not apply for the match because there's no point of putting myself into even a deeper financial hole. Good luck & congratulations to all those who have matched & passed.

Sorry to hear that.

May I ask, what was your Step 1 score?

In terms of finances, it's hard to pay back loans for med school doing a career besides medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1: 207
Step 2: 208

That's not a terrible Step 1 score, FM's average is 218.

Are you up to retaking your Step 2? Only retake if you have a plan that will address your weaknesses. If you retake it and score well, rotate well etc, you can match into family medicine. You'd have to be willing to train anywhere though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 2CK can be tough RLSgrasshopper, but one failed attempt does not preclude you from getting into residency. Have you considered tutoring to improve your Step 2CK score?

If you get a huge score increase, that will help you increase your chances and show that the first score was not an accurate representation of you.

I personally was tutored by Extreme USMLE Coaching and that helped me go from low 200s to a 232.

Sorry to hear about it. But don´t quit. Take some weeks to recover, skip this match and make a plan to score high on CK. Find a way to study for 4-5months and ask people who scored well for advice.

An IMG buddy of mine matched last year after a failed Step 2 CK. But his Step 1 was 228.