Failed Step 2 CK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babycatcher

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was totally shocked to find out that I just failed Step 2 CK. I didn't do that well on Step 1 (193) so I was banking on a strong Step 2 score. I thought I had studied hard and prepared well. I also did very well in all my third year clerkships and scored high on the NBME shelf exams. I am currently on an extended year doing clinical research so I won't be applying to residency until next fall. I will be applying for programs in OB/Gyn in New England.

How badly is this going to hurt my application? Aside from my unfortunate USMLE scores, the rest of my candidacy is strong. I just never expected this.:(

Members don't see this ad.

Hey..sorry about your score. Dont worry shiit happens..you will get a residency..its not like everyone in residency hasnt failed an exam. I failed step 1 the first time round. Just keep the faith, believe in yourself and move forward with a strong plan. Do UW questions to understand this stuff and solidify with FA or kaplan notes. Take the NBME to see where you stand. Hopefully this with a positive attitude will coast you through this exam.
take care

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement :) I hate how one exam can totally make you feel like crap despite all the achievements you may have. I couldn't agree more that a positive attitude is the key to success. I'm sure you will get far with that motto too!

Do you think that UW questions are better than Kaplan?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was totally shocked to find out that I just failed Step 2 CK. I didn't do that well on Step 1 (193) so I was banking on a strong Step 2 score. I thought I had studied hard and prepared well. I also did very well in all my third year clerkships and scored high on the NBME shelf exams. I am currently on an extended year doing clinical research so I won't be applying to residency until next fall. I will be applying for programs in OB/Gyn in New England.

How badly is this going to hurt my application? Aside from my unfortunate USMLE scores, the rest of my candidacy is strong. I just never expected this.:(

Dear babycatcher,

Do not loose hope. Keep the faith in yourself strong. You can pass this test. I failed Step 2 CK the first time. Like you, I was very shocked, and angry with myself.

1st attempt:

I studied hard...but apparently did not use the right materials-

-Boards and Wards (good, but not enough detail)
-Kaplan Q bank (did not reflect the style, nor the "generality" of the exam...Kaplan Qbank was useless, a big waste of time)

Result = Failed Step 2

2nd attempt:

I studied the following-

-Boards and Wards (because I read it before, and it is a good book, in general)
-First Aid for Step 2 CK (Read the material that is not covered in Boards and Wards)
-USMLE WORLD Step 2 Qbank (Did all the questions in tutor mode, and filled 5 note books with notes from the explainations. Read the complete explainations for every single question in USMLE WORLD Qbank. Then re-read my hand written notes, and re-did USMLE World using the timed mode.)

Result = Passed Step 2 on my 2nd attempt.

So do not give up. Trust in yourself. Study hard (USMLE World Step 2 Qbank is a must), and you will pass this test (God willing).

I wish you all the best...

Good Luck.

-

UW Tutor mode - 1 month
UW notes - 2 weeks while reading B&W and FA
UW Timed mode -2 weeks while reading B&W and FA
Another 2 weeks to re-read B&W and FA

Good Luck to you all.

Sorry to hear that. However, do not kill youself with 12-week comphresive studying of USMLE step 2. I assume you failed by a very small margin so I would suggest you study the two weakest areas.

I mean, if you score 90% on OB shelf, there is little reason for you to do another 300+ OB questions from Kaplan or whatever resource you plan to study.

Thank you all for your words of support and encouragement. It feels very reassuring to know I am not alone in my struggles! I have also been meeting with various academic advisors and the overwhelming message is that it's all relative and with a strong academic record, programs are likely to forgive a poor standardized test score.

Now I just need to figure out how to pass on the second attempt. I will have to look into UW to see how much it can help. I feel a lot of it for me is test anxiety and stress, and there's no magic cure for that, unfortunately!

After much thought, I have determined that the reason I'm struggling with the USMLE even though I am a proven "good test-taker" based on excellent SAT and MCAT scores in the past is the computer-based format of the USMLE. I'm someone who learns by reading and writing - this is how I study and therefore how I prefer to take exams. I did very well on all the NBME shelf exams throughout my third year clerkships because these were all paper exams. So, since I don't have the option of doing this for the USMLE, I need to train myself to perform well on the computer. I am fairly confident that what I lack is not knowledge, but ease with this format.

From perusing all the Step 2 threads, it seems that USMLE World is the way to go in this endeavor. Can someone recommend the best way to use UW to prepare? I'm planning on retaking Step 2 at the end of March so I'm giving myself roughly 12 weeks to nail this thing. Any and all advice is much appreciated! You are all so helpful and encouraging :oops:

After much thought, I have determined that the reason I'm struggling with the USMLE even though I am a proven "good test-taker" based on excellent SAT and MCAT scores in the past is the computer-based format of the USMLE. I'm someone who learns by reading and writing - this is how I study and therefore how I prefer to take exams. I did very well on all the NBME shelf exams throughout my third year clerkships because these were all paper exams. So, since I don't have the option of doing this for the USMLE, I need to train myself to perform well on the computer. I am fairly confident that what I lack is not knowledge, but ease with this format.

From perusing all the Step 2 threads, it seems that USMLE World is the way to go in this endeavor. Can someone recommend the best way to use UW to prepare? I'm planning on retaking Step 2 at the end of March so I'm giving myself roughly 12 weeks to nail this thing. Any and all advice is much appreciated! You are all so helpful and encouraging :oops:

what is it about the computer screen/format that skews your performance the wrong way? :confused: what's the difference between words on paper and words on a well contrasted screen? enlighten me...and don't rationalize.

what's the difference between words on paper and words on a well contrasted screen?

It has less to do with the words themselves (i.e., reading them on paper versus reading them off a screen) and more to do with the act of reading and annotating the question and answer choices and staying focused. I prefer being able to underline, circle, jot down things in the margin, and cross out answer choices. I realize that the new FRED software allows much of this to be done, but it just isn't the same for me. I also like doing strings of 5-10 questions in the question booklet without bubbling the circles onto the answer sheet, then going back and bubbling in the answers and thus reviewing my choices. I think there's just a test-taking behavior that I am used to and that works for me, and which I have not found to translate well to a computer-based testing format. I hope that wasn't "rationalizing" ;)

UW Tutor mode - 1 month
UW notes - 2 weeks while reading B&W and FA
UW Timed mode -2 weeks while reading B&W and FA
Another 2 weeks to re-read B&W and FA

Good Luck to you all.

I just have a question for you leukocyte, did anyone during your interviews ask you what you got on step 2ck the first time?
do you think that failing step 2ck affected your ability to get into the program of your choice?

I recieved my failing score report before september, so I decided not to send my ERAS application until I retake and pass this test. I received my passing score only 2 weeks ago. Now it is too late for me to enter the match, so I will just go for the scramble and see.

did anyone during your interviews ask you what you got on step 2ck the first time?

If I had gone through the match, I do not think they would have asked me this question because they would already know the answer....It is on the USMLE report which contains every attempt and score.

do you think that failing step 2ck affected your ability to get into the program of your choice?

If I had gone through the match, I think the answer would be, sadly, a big yes. It is always better to pass the USMLEs on the first attempt, even if it is barely passing, than to fail an attempt.

Good Luck.

It has less to do with the words themselves (i.e., reading them on paper versus reading them off a screen) and more to do with the act of reading and annotating the question and answer choices and staying focused. I prefer being able to underline, circle, jot down things in the margin, and cross out answer choices. I realize that the new FRED software allows much of this to be done, but it just isn't the same for me. I also like doing strings of 5-10 questions in the question booklet without bubbling the circles onto the answer sheet, then going back and bubbling in the answers and thus reviewing my choices. I think there's just a test-taking behavior that I am used to and that works for me, and which I have not found to translate well to a computer-based testing format. I hope that wasn't "rationalizing" ;)

Thanks for the explanation. Sorry. :oops: Now I see how different it is between the two formats.

Good luck studying.:luck:

Hey. I read this post and thought I would reply. I didn't do too well on my step 1, I failed the first time then passed it on the second attempt (196). So for step 2 ck, I studied my butt off, since my dean told us that if person gets less than 200 on step 1, they have about 25% chance of failing step 2 ck. I used UW for 3 months, finished ~65% of questions on the tutor mode, and also did Kaplan for 1 month. I used kaplan video to help me with some internal med stuff, and used my own note with Crush Step 2. I also did the practice test NBME twice before taking step 2. I did much better on Step 2ck (225). :D
I am in midst of interview for Ob/gyn. I applied to 20 programs, and interviewed at 8 places. Some places cared that I failed step 1, other places didn't really care. I am thinking that for Step 2ck, they will care little less. One thing that's on my side is being an med student from pretty decent med school at US. I think if I was FMG who failed step 1, I would have gotten less intervews.
I thought I was going to have really tough time with this whole application process, but it is going much better than expected. Just don't loss hope. The hardest part is trying it again.....

I recieved my failing score report before september, so I decided not to send my ERAS application until I retake and pass this test. I received my passing score only 2 weeks ago. Now it is too late for me to enter the match, so I will just go for the scramble and see.
If I had gone through the match, I do not think they would have asked me this question because they would already know the answer....It is on the USMLE report which contains every attempt and score.

Just wanted to point out for others that if you are worried about failing step 2, take it after you would have sent your ERAS application so that you can opt to withhold future scores from programs and wait until the score comes to release it. Sorry about your bad fortune, Leukocyte.

I thought I was going to have really tough time with this whole application process, but it is going much better than expected. Just don't loss hope. The hardest part is trying it again.....

Thanks for sharing your experience, mjzoey. It helps to hear what others have gone through. I have spoken to a few advisors and the sense I am getting is that Step scores are all relative to the overall applicant profile. If you did well in clerkships, especially the one you are applying for, then they are less likely to care about a failed attempt, as long as you do eventually pass the exam. If your general performance throughout medical school has been questionable, then these standardized scores matter more. This has been a great learning experience and I am trying to keep up a good attitude and not get discouraged and just focus on passing.

Good luck with your application process - it sounds like you will achieve your goals! :)

I've heard some people mention doing Kaplan video notes. Are these really helpful? Also, were can i get these materials for a cheap price? I know many people take kaplan courses for step 1...is it helpful to take these courses for step 2 also?

Hey I am a 4th yr foreign medical school student and I just found out about 4 hours ago that I failed Step 2 CK (182) which was a huge shock. Didnt do so hot on Step 1(189). I am freaking out b/c I have about 80 ERAS apps. out there and have had very few responses to this point due to, what I think maybe the fact, that most were holding off to jump one way or the other based on my Step 2 score. So now what? I want to retake it DEC 11. but, i am starting a rotation in Peds and so I have roughly 7 weeks to study but 4 of them will be consumed by my rotation. Am I trying to do the impossible? Please anyone have any words of advice or is the dream over?