Failed Step 2 CS Twice, Matched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dragqueen

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I got a lot of help from the internet and only feels right to share and I hope it's helpful to someone, along with other similar stories on here. I'm a US MD, and my application was good before failing CS...a couple honors including IM clerkship, 230s Step 1, 240s Step 2 CK.

I matched a mid tier academic primary care track in IM, my top choice. I absolutely loved it and am so happy. I have unique, committed interests and experiences that helped a lot as well, but that probably isn't something you can change if you're someone at the point of looking for CS advice on the web like I was many months ago.

So the take aways:

1. Yeah, there are at least some people who know this test is an absurd game, and you can overcome fails, particularly for US MDs, who are given some benefit of the doubt throughout this process in a way that others are not. But at the same time, since I took it early and the fail was clearly on my app, almost every interview asked about it, and while it worked out for me, if interviews at my favorite program didn't go as well, perhaps I would have fallen much further or not matched. There's no way for me to know exactly how much people cared about the fails, which I always disclosed when asked, but for the most part people did seem to be "on my side" about it and wanting to interpret it as a fluke and not a red flag. There are programs that I had considered safeties prior to the failure that didn't interview me, and a couple low tier but solid programs interviewed me after a letter of interest, suggesting that I got screened initially but was saved by a closer look. So there's clearly lots of variation in who cares about this test and how much.
2. Take the test seriously, and if you read this, tell 3rd years to do the same. I found it helpful to treat it more like oral boards (like the kind I saw EM residents practicing for), for the sake of seeing it as valuable and learning how to play the game. Besides, it's an acting test that's graded subjectively, so there's not much to stop SPs from marking you down if you seem apathetic or "not bought-in." It's total b.s., but accept it temporarily so that you can move on with your life and get to treating real patients.
3. Since I took it so many times, and failed different parts, maybe my experience will help you prep. So I describe that below.
4. If you failed, yes, be frustrated because the test is opaque, expensive, and unvalidated, but then be a little hard on yourself to figure out what you *may* have done wrong, and bust your a** to make sure you crush it the next time. And while you're doing that, remember that these failures say more about this bizarre test than it does about any of us.

I failed on CIS, tried again immediately, and found out in Oct I failed again, on ICE.

First attempt I probably took too many notes and didn't fully appreciate the need to close in a structured way.

Second attempt I crushed CIS by asking every person a million counseling questions at the end (How is this complaint affecting your life? Any questions? Do you understand the plan? Do you agree with the plan? Anything important you want to share that I missed?), but apparently overcompensated, anchoring on the "obvious" dx and not being thorough enough to have good pertinent NEGATIVES to support 2nd and 3rd diagnostic possibilities. So I failed ICE.

Third attempt I did much of the same stuff, but practiced EVERY. SINGLE. case in the FA Step 2 CS book, timed, with a friend, even faking the physical exam. I hear IMGs do this by default. But getting to a point where some of these differentials and ROS's were close to memorized helped me go faster so that I could be thorough, grab all the ICE points, and still have time to do the CIS things. You don't need to have the perfectly right answer, it's better to have good evidence for 2, preferably 3 things than a perfect #1 and a sparse 2 and 3. Again PERTINENT NEGATIVES are the most important thing to learn in my opinion, that's the difference between feeling like you're grasping at straws and knowing exactly what you need. Maybe some people get this stuff down cold just from wards and step 2 ck, I passed ICE with minimal prep the first try. But in any case, better to be over-prepared.

I used the Kaplan online course videos for my third try...it was helpful to have that structure. I don't think it offers THAT much besides what's in the FA, perhaps the mention of unusual but allegedly high yield cases (pediatric nocturia, erectile dysfunction, new pregnancy), but even that stuff is in the book too. They maybe give a few extra tips but if you're really tight on money (because you know, you have to retake a $1300 test), I'm confident you can do that without this. But it was still helpful psychologically if nothing else.

Good luck! Hope that helped a little.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey y'all,

I got a lot of help from the internet and only feels right to share and I hope it's helpful to someone, along with other similar stories on here. I'm a US MD, and my application was good before failing CS...a couple honors including IM clerkship, 230s Step 1, 240s Step 2 CK.

I matched a mid tier academic primary care track in IM, my top choice. I absolutely loved it and am so happy. I have unique, committed interests and experiences that helped a lot as well, but that probably isn't something you can change if you're someone at the point of looking for CS advice on the web like I was many months ago.

So the take aways:

1. Yeah, there are at least some people who know this test is an absurd game, and you can overcome fails, particularly for US MDs, who are given some benefit of the doubt throughout this process in a way that others are not. But at the same time, since I took it early and the fail was clearly on my app, almost every interview asked about it, and while it worked out for me, if interviews at my favorite program didn't go as well, perhaps I would have fallen much further or not matched. There's no way for me to know exactly how much people cared about the fails, which I always disclosed when asked, but for the most part people did seem to be "on my side" about it and wanting to interpret it as a fluke and not a red flag. There are programs that I had considered safeties prior to the failure that didn't interview me, and a couple low tier but solid programs interviewed me after a letter of interest, suggesting that I got screened initially but was saved by a closer look. So there's clearly lots of variation in who cares about this test and how much.
2. Take the test seriously, and if you read this, tell 3rd years to do the same. I found it helpful to treat it more like oral boards (like the kind I saw EM residents practicing for), for the sake of seeing it as valuable and learning how to play the game. Besides, it's an acting test that's graded subjectively, so there's not much to stop SPs from marking you down if you seem apathetic or "not bought-in." It's total b.s., but accept it temporarily so that you can move on with your life and get to treating real patients.
3. Since I took it so many times, and failed different parts, maybe my experience will help you prep. So I describe that below.
4. If you failed, yes, be frustrated because the test is opaque, expensive, and unvalidated, but then be a little hard on yourself to figure out what you *may* have done wrong, and bust your a** to make sure you crush it the next time. And while you're doing that, remember that these failures say more about this bizarre test than it does about any of us.

I failed on CIS, tried again immediately, and found out in Oct I failed again, on ICE.

First attempt I probably took too many notes and didn't fully appreciate the need to close in a structured way.

Second attempt I crushed CIS by asking every person a million counseling questions at the end (How is this complaint affecting your life? Any questions? Do you understand the plan? Do you agree with the plan? Anything important you want to share that I missed?), but apparently overcompensated, anchoring on the "obvious" dx and not being thorough enough to have good pertinent NEGATIVES to support 2nd and 3rd diagnostic possibilities. So I failed ICE.

Third attempt I did much of the same stuff, but practiced EVERY. SINGLE. case in the FA Step 2 CS book, timed, with a friend, even faking the physical exam. I hear IMGs do this by default. But getting to a point where some of these differentials and ROS's were close to memorized helped me go faster so that I could be thorough, grab all the ICE points, and still have time to do the CIS things. You don't need to have the perfectly right answer, it's better to have good evidence for 2, preferably 3 things than a perfect #1 and a sparse 2 and 3. Again PERTINENT NEGATIVES are the most important thing to learn in my opinion, that's the difference between feeling like you're grasping at straws and knowing exactly what you need. Maybe some people get this stuff down cold just from wards and step 2 ck, I passed ICE with minimal prep the first try. But in any case, better to be over-prepared.

I used the Kaplan online course videos for my third try...it was helpful to have that structure. I don't think it offers THAT much besides what's in the FA, perhaps the mention of unusual but allegedly high yield cases (pediatric nocturia, erectile dysfunction, new pregnancy), but even that stuff is in the book too. They maybe give a few extra tips but if you're really tight on money (because you know, you have to retake a $1300 test), I'm confident you can do that without this. But it was still helpful psychologically if nothing else.

Good luck! Hope that helped a little.
Hi dragqueen,
Thanks for sharing your CS experience. I'm soon to be a US med graduate and I failed CS on my first attempt. I retook the test three weeks ago. I have already matched IM and I'm crossing my fingers that I pass this time. My question to you is; were you able to start residency without passing step 2 CS because it looks like you matched without passing the test, which is my current situation? Isn't it a requirement to pass step 2 CS for graduation and start residency? If I pass there will be no problem because I will be able to get my results before residency. I'm just losing my mind to think what will happen if I don't pass the second time. My CS scores will be released on April 23rd (hopefully). I did very well in both step 1 and CK. Thank you.

Hi dragqueen,
Thanks for sharing your CS experience. I'm soon to be a US med graduate and I failed CS on my first attempt. I retook the test three weeks ago. I have already matched IM and I'm crossing my fingers that I pass this time. My question to you is; were you able to start residency without passing step 2 CS because it looks like you matched without passing the test, which is my current situation? Isn't it a requirement to pass step 2 CS for graduation and start residency? If I pass there will be no problem because I will be able to get my results before residency. I'm just losing my mind to think what will happen if I don't pass the second time. My CS scores will be released on April 23rd (hopefully). I did very well in both step 1 and CK. Thank you.

Hey sorry that happened to you. I did pass before match lists were due (Jan 30) and was able to update programs. You definitely need it to start as far as I know, it's needed for like your training license. Be nice yourself while you wait, I'm sure you passed. Best of luck!

Hey sorry that happened to you. I did pass before match lists were due (Jan 30) and was able to update programs. You definitely need it to start as far as I know, it's needed for like your training license. Be nice yourself while you wait, I'm sure you passed. Best of luck!
Hi dragqueen,
Just wanted to let you know that I PASSED! You probably don't know this but your words meant so much to me. I'm thankful for people like you. You had so much confidence in me. Thank you for being who you are!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi dragqueen,
Just wanted to let you know that I PASSED! You probably don't know this but your words meant so much to me. I'm thankful for people like you. You had so much confidence in me. Thank you for being who you are!

CONGRATS!!!!!! Amazing job.

Hey, congrats both of you for matching. Right now, I'm in the boat of waiting to re-take CS (which is only available in Dec now). I recently failed CS because of the ICE portion. More than anything, I want to know if this affects a US MD. It seems like it worked out for both of you even though you applied with a failed CS on the transcript, am I correct?

Hey, congrats both of you for matching. Right now, I'm in the boat of waiting to re-take CS (which is only available in Dec now). I recently failed CS because of the ICE portion. More than anything, I want to know if this affects a US MD. It seems like it worked out for both of you even though you applied with a failed CS on the transcript, am I correct?

Yes it did. Take-away #1 is as much wisdom as I have on your "odds", which only comes from my own experience and unfortunately shouldn't be generalized too much. Still, you can overcome it. It's a ****ty, hand wavy test, and yet I do think it can be overcome with brute force. It's a different kind of brute force than the kind applied to Step 1 or 2 though, bc you have you have to find people to practice with to create that muscle memory. Like I said, for some people (most people?) it's easy, but for the rest of us it can be figured out. Also I am a good intern, my patients like me and thank me for treating them with respect, being honest, and doing my best to help them. So don't think this test has anything to do with anything at all meaningful. Never again will anyone ask you to do the bizarre things you do on this test. Just vanquish it and move on. And then help abolish it some day.

Hi dragqueen,

I would like to thank you for posting your experience. Seems like there's some silver lining to all of this. I'm honestly not sure how to approach this as I begin submitting my residency applications this weekend. I have no other real red flags other than the two PE failures.

For starters, I just had a few questions.

1. With regards to your CS failure, did you discuss this on your personal statement or somewhere on your application? If so, how much did you elaborate about it, and how did you "spin it"? Because at this point, I technically have not overcome the fail with a pass. Moreover, I already had a good PS regarding my interest to IM, and I'm not sure how I would tweak it to fit this in without making the statement sound incongruous.

2. I was wondering how many IM programs did you apply given your fail cs/pe. What was your distribution of programs like? I know that lots of programs post criteria on their web site such as "prefer/require all scores with first pass". From your experience, how strictly did programs uphold these criteria?

3. I took the USMLE step 1 and step 2 along with the comlex. For ACGME programs that prefer USMLE scores or accepts USMLE scores, would you advise just submitting the USMLE transcript, and not the COMLEX initially? I was thinking more along the lines of discussing it in the interview if given the opportunity since at that point, I would be treated as a person rather than just another number/application.

Hi dragqueen,

I would like to thank you for posting your experience. Seems like there's some silver lining to all of this. I'm honestly not sure how to approach this as I begin submitting my residency applications this weekend. I have no other real red flags other than the two PE failures.

For starters, I just had a few questions.

1. With regards to your CS failure, did you discuss this on your personal statement or somewhere on your application? If so, how much did you elaborate about it, and how did you "spin it"? Because at this point, I technically have not overcome the fail with a pass. Moreover, I already had a good PS regarding my interest to IM, and I'm not sure how I would tweak it to fit this in without making the statement sound incongruous.

2. I was wondering how many IM programs did you apply given your fail cs/pe. What was your distribution of programs like? I know that lots of programs post criteria on their web site such as "prefer/require all scores with first pass". From your experience, how strictly did programs uphold these criteria?

3. I took the USMLE step 1 and step 2 along with the comlex. For ACGME programs that prefer USMLE scores or accepts USMLE scores, would you advise just submitting the USMLE transcript, and not the COMLEX initially? I was thinking more along the lines of discussing it in the interview if given the opportunity since at that point, I would be treated as a person rather than just another number/application.

Before finding out I failed I was applying to like 12 programs, basically all mid tier and upper tier academic. I applied to more like 30 after failing CS, including community programs which I wasn't considering prior to that and programs in city's I didn't particularly want to be in. There is a bias against DO's so I would apply to even more.

That's an interesting idea re: #3. People may perceive it as dishonest. But also idk I think most of the people I talked to on the interview trail seemed to know that the fail rate increased for CS last year and that the test is pretty meaningless, as long as you appear more or less sane in person. I think it's your choice, but probably better to do what will get you more interviews. It might be a good idea to do this, but then at places where you interview I would just volunteer the information at the end of the interview. They'll respect you for being transparent, I think, and if they like you during an interview they won't value PE as a more meaningful data point, especially if your clinical evals are positive. I think programs will not like finding this out while they are making their rank lists. But again it's sort of impossible to know, each program has a different approach. I had a friend who also failed CS but found out after his application was already in. He didn't tell folks during interviews bc no one asked, and he matched at a great program after submitting his pass January 30th or something, which I think was the latest reporting date before rank lists were due.

I would also talk to your dean or the person writing your chair letter to see if they have advice. It's good not to go through this alone, and they may be able to contact places on your behalf.

Above all though, before you worry about the right approach and stuff, make sure you pass the exam. That's the most important thing. It's a b.s. test but you just have to conquer it (and you can! you've already passed each section at some point, just find a disciplined approach for checking all their boxes). If you don't match you can re-apply, but if you don't pass then you're just stuck in limbo. You got this!

Oh my god. Me too! US AMG, fancy too.
I don't know how this thing is going to turn out for me. Maybe I'm going to have do something else with my life. Luckily my loans are minimal.

I had sky high ICE score the first time and like, zero on communication. I am pretty sure I know what I did in the closing - I don't think I discussed the explicit diagnosis with the SPs like, explicitly. I was sorta vague about it. Pretty sure that's what happened.

Then the second time, i got so stressed about the you know, communication. Then I got a bunch of borderline on ICE. Don't think I typed enough on note. Mind blinked out a little bit too due to nerves. Also I got sky high on ICE last time so I didn't think I would so bad!

Then I failed the freaking ICE!

So I went home, just, did more FA and put more time in, and practiced most of the cases by writing the note. Did more quick ddx from basic c.c. Also took online touch typing class... I don't think anything changed really. Maybe I was just a little bit more familiar with the the cases. It's all there basically in the book.
Then I passed with nothing sky high, but both fine. Like, if America really does not want any more primary care doctor, it could have just told me.
I can type kinda fast now! Whoo hoo!

Last edited: