Failed Step 2CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BadCompany1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey EM Folks-
Title says it all. I'm a regular user here (made a throwaway for this) in the middle of interview season: 240's on Step 1, top 25 MD school in the northeast applying into EM. Thought CS went totally well but failed by one box today and I'm worried I won't ever get matched into EM because of it, let alone this cycle. Anyone with any more knowledge about this would be kind in filling me in. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry this happened! From what I've heard, what matters most is having a pass before rank lists are due. Just re schedule it as early as possible to try and do this.

Sorry this happened! From what I've heard, what matters most is having a pass before rank lists are due. Just re schedule it as early as possible to try and do this.

Agreed. I've heard the same. If @BadCompany1234 retakes CS before Dec 31, the results will come out on Jan 31. After Jan 1, the next block of results comes out in March, after rank lists are due. Unfortunately, that's not a lot of time, and I'm willing to bet a lot of others are in the same boat and trying to do the same thing.

I recommend signing up for the instant notices on the NRMP scheduling page as soon as slots open and take the first one in December that becomes available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Happened to me. Had no clue. Came out in the middle/towards the end of interviews. Retook it as early as possible and passed. Still matched at my 3rd choice.

Get first aid for CS. Follow the guide. Play the game. Review a few of the cases. Make the time at the end to address concerns (What are your main concerns regarding this?), ask if they have questions and answer them (What questions do you have? Do you have any other questions?), even if it takes away from doing an appropriate exam. (That was the area I failed, and by one box as well. Wasn't the history taking, medical knowledge, physical exam, etc.)

There is hope. The worst part is that we all know it's a BS test only there to make money for the USMLE, doesn't improve patient outcomes, and that it'll cost you another $1300 plus expenses.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Happened to me. Had no clue. Came out in the middle/towards the end of interviews. Retook it as early as possible and passed. Still matched at my 3rd choice.

Get first aid for CS. Follow the guide. Play the game. Review a few of the cases. Make the time at the end to address concerns (What are your main concerns regarding this?), ask if they have questions and answer them (What questions do you have? Do you have any other questions?), even if it takes away from doing an appropriate exam. (That was the area I failed, and by one box as well. Wasn't the history taking, medical knowledge, physical exam, etc.)

There is hope. The worst part is that we all know it's a BS test only there to make money for the USMLE, doesn't improve patient outcomes, and that it'll cost you another $1300 plus expenses.

Did you get your score in before rank lists? Or you still matched at your 3rd without having a CS score?

Spoke to my dean and had a little time to process. Thank you all for your responses, I was really flailing for a couple hours. Seems like even if you don't have a grade in by rank list due date the school can make an exception (assuming you've shown them you're going to be able to pass) and the fail doesn't need to be sent to programs at all. So basically I just have to retake ASAP and pass and everything goes on OK.

Reactions: 1 user
CS is a game. Make sure you have enough points in each section. If you are running out of time, cut your physical exam short and tell the patient the plan, etc. Make sure you get points in each section. First aid for CS was good when I took it.

Did you get your score in before rank lists? Or you still matched at your 3rd without having a CS score?
I believe it came before rank lists if I remember correctly.

Man what a stupid test. They are robbing us blind and the only thing we get out of it is extra stress and worry

Reactions: 3 users
I am having that anxiety right now as a IM applicant. My score will come out early February i.e. no time to retake before rank lists.

I don't think I did particularly well on the exam, so I am kind of shi... in my pants right now hoping that I pass the damn things...