Failed surg shelf...still okay for peds?

Started by gopeds
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gopeds

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm new to this but am in a tight situation and thought I would give it a try. I think that I failed my surgery shelf and was wondering how bad this will reflect on me and my apps to pediatric residencies. I have no good reason for it--I studied hard and it still kicked my ass. All my other rotations have been good with good comments clinically. Not much extra-curricular activities and an low/average Step I score. Taking Step II early. Any ideas on what I can do during my 4th year to make up for this? Thanks.🙁
 
You think you failed? So you don't know yet? My first piece of advice would be to take 3 deep breaths and try to stay calm...all of us have had the experience of thinking we failed something and it turned out we did OK.

Secondly, if you have gotten good rotation scores/grades in everything else (and you can get good to excellent letters of rec), then that's a big plus for peds.

Step 1 is not as critical, try to do as well as possible on Step 2 of course.

I'd suggest an away rotation if you can schedule it. Might help solidify programs' ideas that you are serious and can handle the work.

Don't stress!
 
I actually did fail. I found out today that I missed the passing mark by 2...which sucks but I can't dwell on it. Does anyone know how this will reflect on my options for residency? I'm not expecting any top-tier schools anymore.... but what should/can I do to make up for this? Will I still get interviews at good schools? Can I hope for a good residency program? I am planning on doing an away peds rotation some time in the fall to get my face out there...but other than that, I don't know how to make up for this shelf. Any help would be appreciated!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I actually did fail. I found out today that I missed the passing mark by 2...which sucks but I can't dwell on it. Does anyone know how this will reflect on my options for residency? I'm not expecting any top-tier schools anymore.... but what should/can I do to make up for this? Will I still get interviews at good schools? Can I hope for a good residency program? I am planning on doing an away peds rotation some time in the fall to get my face out there...but other than that, I don't know how to make up for this shelf. Any help would be appreciated!

I also failed it, although in my school we didn't actually take the actual shelf exam but something else. No biggie. I wouldn't worry. It NEVER got brought up in my interviews/apps or anything.
 
Good to see that I still have options 🙂 Thanks once again for the advice and pick-me-up!
🙂