MD Failed surgery NBME, should I bring it up with residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jw2398

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m an M2 and had surgery as my first rotation. I did really well clinically but failed the shelf which I'm re-taking in the next few weeks. Due to school policy, the highest grade I can get for the rotation is 78. Only the retake shelf score will be shown on my transcript. I’m interested in IMED (haven't done the rotation yet), and I was wondering if this is something I need to address in my residency application? I’m a slightly above average student otherwise. Haven’t taken Step 1 yet but advisors say I’m on track for 230s. I've just been really paranoid because of a lot of horror stories I've heard from this cycle of the match. Is there anything else I can do for damage control?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If the failure won't be mentioned on your transcript / MSPE, I'd just focus on doing better on shelf exams. The best thing you can do is improve your performance so that this doesn't happen again.

Reactions: 4 users
You realize I will be suing you for copyright infringement in the username sector, correct? I will win. Expect a call from my attorney, Jackie Chiles.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You realize I will be suing you for copyright infringement in the username sector, correct? I will win. Expect a call from my attorney, Jackie Chiles.
They have a lower number than you, so by rules of internet names, they must've come first. Join date be damned!!

Reactions: 1 user
It all depends on your institution. Remember every school treats a shelf score differently, and they just use it for internal gauging of your knowledge on a particular rotation.

There's no "damage control" from doing bad on a shelf aside from probably your clinical grade on that rotation being jeopardized (e.g. at my school, if you "fail" [get below 60] on a shelf, you can only get a Pass on that rotation [after re-taking and passing the shelf exam])

It all depends on your institution. Remember every school treats a shelf score differently, and they just use it for internal gauging of your knowledge on a particular rotation.

There's no "damage control" from doing bad on a shelf aside from probably your clinical grade on that rotation being jeopardized (e.g. at my school, if you "fail" [get below 60] on a shelf, you can only get a Pass on that rotation [after re-taking and passing the shelf exam])
.... failing a shelf is below 60 and not 70? are you sure about that?

Depends on the time of year. At the beginning the cut offs/curves are lower.
Also depends on your school. Our school sets our cutoffs based on first-quarter averages, meaning that no matter when we take our shelves, we're graded against the 'beginning of the year' curve.

If it really isn't going to appear on your MSPE/transcript I wouldn't bother mentioning it.