failed TWO preclinical courses--I need advice/help/motivation :(

Started by Karen4317
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Karen4317

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everybody!
I am currently an M2 studying for boards and at times I feel like my chances at residency are very low, which has been discouraging me quite a lot! I failed two classes for preclinical, but successfully passed remediation. My dean told me that on the Dean's letter they will write specifically something along those lines "student was able to pass upon remediation of course." Most of the students in my class and my friends are super gunners (and I applaud them for that!) but they make it seem like even one failure is the end of the world, let alone two.
I'm currently interested in pediatric residency, and I just really want to focus on what I can control in the future, rather than my two failures in the past. If I do well on my boards and third year, do I still have a chance at landing a decent pediatric residency? Also, if anybody has been in a similar situation as mine, any support would help! How well do you guys think I should do in terms of step 1?
 
Do as well as you can on step 1. Shoot for average, but be aware that this is so much easier than done. You’ll be fine for peds, you just need to apply broadly.